What are you making for dinner?

edited 2 May 2020 at 11:05PM in Old Style MoneySaving
10.1K replies 617.3K views

Replies

• BrieBrie Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Can't remember if it was turbot we bought yesterday....some flat fish (not sole or flounder or plaice and I can't think of any others) .....so anyways that's what OH will be cooking tonight.  Possibly with a caper butter, possibly with mash or new potatoes.  Whatever it is I know it will be lovely.  Think there's a nice riesling to go with it so even better.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight we're going for the healthy, low carb, low fat, high fibre food!

Yes we're having PIZZA!!!  BIG ONES!
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • goldfinchesgoldfinches Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Happy Belated Birthday @MandM90, hope you got lots of lovely presents.

@Brie - you did make me laugh, hope you enjoyed them.

I made a recipe from my new Ottolenghi cookbook Flavour and am sitting here absolutely stuffed full of sweet potato in tomato and lime sauce which I ate with cous cous and followed with a portion of hm stewed apple and a coffee.

I'm feeling particularly pleased that my effort came out looking very like the recipe photo, which doesn't always happen, and I've got another 3 portions still sitting in the pan.

Air
    , n. A nutritious substance supplied by a bountiful Providence for the fattening of the poor. 

from The Devil's Dictionary
    by Ambrose Bierce
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭

@Brie - hope you enjoyed them.  Thanks for reminding me - I have left overs!!  I should prob be good and save it for lunch tomorrow....

hm stewed apple  - is that like apple sauce??  (not the extra smooth store bought stuff)  Or something different?
  • MandM90MandM90 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Goldfinches that sounds LUSH

We had veggie sausages, rosemary and garlic roasties, broccoli and sweetcorn for supper. Not too much work but an almost-roast. Enough for DH to have lunch tomorrow, DD and I will have leftover HM pasta from today's lunch. 
  • edited 24 October at 9:51PM
    goldfinchesgoldfinches Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 24 October at 9:51PM
    @Brie - I suspect stewed apple is very much the same as apple sauce but just in case it isn't here's how I make mine.

Use a stainless steel pot and put in the juice of at least 3 lemons and add 50ml of cold water.
    Then core and peel your apples and cut into large chunks and drop into the pot.
    Once you've completed each apple give the pot a good stir so that all the apple pieces get covered in the lemony water before they have a chance to go brown.
    When you've prepped as many apples as you can bear to do turn on the heat to med. low and leave to cook gently, stirring every so often until the apples start to break down.
    Once they've mostly broken down into mush turn off the heat and leave to cool to room temp.
    Store in containers in the fridge or freezer. If you want to put it into jars, sterilise the jars and then bottle the apple while it's still hot.
    This makes a very tart fruit puree that you can use as a basis for a lot of things like crumble, little pies and so on but I mainly eat it with yoghurt and a spoonful of dark muscovado sugar.

The end result looks like this.

Air
    , n. A nutritious substance supplied by a bountiful Providence for the fattening of the poor. 

from The Devil's Dictionary
    by Ambrose Bierce
  • MandM90MandM90 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I looove stewed apples. In fact, I love any stewed fruit. My mum used to occasionally buy me fruit baby food as a teen for a treat 😁

Our supper tonight will be stir fry. HM sauce. Pre-prepped veg and rice. Looking forward to the break.
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m marinating a couple of small chicken breasts in lime juice with ginger and coriander, and will pan fry them tonight to serve sliced over a big green salad. 
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    @goldfinches
    yes that's what I call apple sauce.  when I'm visiting my mom the idea of "when you've prepped as many apples as you can bear" isn't a consideration as she has an orchard so when you finish prepping some and getting them into a humongous pot someone's likely to come into the kitchen with yet another bushel basket full.  and when you finish the apples there's always the pears that need seeing to.....

@C_J
    the chicken sounds excellent!  Never considered marinating in lime - fish, yes, chicken, no!  Might give it a try!!!
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Merguez sausages with buttered cabbage = Lush….

DH isn’t a fan of those sausages, so he had crab linguine 
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130