We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What are you making for dinner?

1…158515861587158815891591»

Comments

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,810 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    That looks lush @Frith!!!

    I did a salmon fish cake that was in the freezer but it wasn't delightful. I had a bit of grilled salmon from breakfast that was much nicer (although i found it very bland at breakfast) but that did with a jacket. Nothing else needed

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • BlueJ94
    BlueJ94 Posts: 3,477 Ambassador
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Im sooo fed up deciding what's for dinner.. OH is a fussy eater no veggies, fruit, rice minimal pasta.. won't eat fish or pork. suggestions?!

     I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe boards and spending & discounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Debt owed;

    Abound - £2256.89/£8,854.76

    DFW Challenges! 

    365 Day 1p Challenge 2026 #9 £104.30
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas 2026! #14 £1918/£8854.76
    Make £2026 in 2026! £602.40/£2026

    Savings goal £162.79/£1000
  • suzeesu2000
    suzeesu2000 Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Give him a pen and paper and ask him to construct a menu for the week, then you can add your veggies/rice etc. I have similar with my DH. My poor SIL has worse as her partner will not touch any veg or fruits! I do things like, if he wants something which needs oven cooking, what can I have that can go in the oven too? If you use a steamer like we do, his veggies in one basket and mine in another. You have to think a bit different. Good luck!

    Saving 1 animal wont change the world - but it will change the world for that 1 animal

    2026 Frugal Living Challenge
    2026 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN Mrs SD - our Year of Redistribution
    26 for 2026
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,810 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    @BlueJ94

    I've started making cottage pie as it's something that the OH loves. What he doesn't realise is that only about half of the contents is meat - I'm bunging in chopped peppers, courgette, red lentils as well as the necessary onion. Using a bit of passata too. OH "helpfully" reminded me last time to put in a stock cube!! As if I needed reminding!!!

    My long term go to is something that might be chicken cacciatore. Chicken thighs coated in bread crumbs mixed with half a dry packet of spag bol mix browned in a deep sauce pan with some onions. I then add mushrooms. Everything goes into a big casserole pot or stays in the deep pan (depending on my mood) and then add a couple of glasses of wine or stock scraping up all the bits sticking to the pan. Goes nicely with potatoes or bread. (or rice or pasta)

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • BlueJ94
    BlueJ94 Posts: 3,477 Ambassador
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
     I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe boards and spending & discounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Debt owed;

    Abound - £2256.89/£8,854.76

    DFW Challenges! 

    365 Day 1p Challenge 2026 #9 £104.30
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas 2026! #14 £1918/£8854.76
    Make £2026 in 2026! £602.40/£2026

    Savings goal £162.79/£1000
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,810 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • Can you disguise the mashed potatoes, maybe in soup? Or use them as a topping and make them crispy?

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,810 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Speaking of mash - that's what we had last night with some lovely sage and pepper pork sausages. I also fried up some onion and a red pepper is a decent quantity of olive oil - lovely on the mash and perhaps the OO is better for me than vast quantities of butter. OH had a moment of annoyance that I didn't cook all 6 of the sausages but put one in the freezer. Yes he would have eaten it along with the 3 I'd prepared for him but he didn't need it and is trying to cut down on his intake so I do my best to help.

    No idea what we'll have this evening. We both still recovering from colds so not feeling very ambitious.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,810 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    BBQ time has come!!! After decades of being a dedicated Weber fan I discovered that a local place had a line of Canadian bbqs in stock and, more MSEishly, they had discounted them to clear out the stock to make room for their festive seasonal display. Extra cream on top too because I got a display model so it's completely assembled. All I need to do is wash and season the cast iron grills!!! I love it when this works out.

    So the question is what's for dinner?? Once the bbq is sorted I'll be heading off to see what luscious items I can get to try it out. I'm thinking burgers but may make some kebabs. And may need to get the cushions back on the garden chairs so we can eat out and enjoy the return of the warm weather.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.