PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What are you making for dinner?

Options

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    kerri_gt said:
    I had a jar of cheezwhiz once but wasn't actually that keen on it - and normally I love all things cheese
    It's food for children.  Very artificial.  I'd probably not like it either now and would go for a nice dolcelatte with some cranberry relish rather than cheezwhiz with strawberry jam.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Brie
    Options
    Oh but also .....should anyone want to try it.....a jar of cheezwhiz could be put directly into the microwave without the lid on and nuked to melt it and pour over nachos.  I suspect many a teen has burnt their mouth on that!
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,927 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We have some lo fish and chips to have for tonight's meal.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/325
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 76
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We'll probably be finishing up the slow cooked beef and mushroom puff pastry pie that I made for last night, however I nipped in to the community fridge at lunchtime and came away with an Aldi bag full of wonderful free fruit and veg which I now have to use up. It's thrown this week's menu plan into delightful disarray!

Amongst the fridge items there were some giant portobello mushrooms which I will be stuffing with grated cheese, diced shallot, mushroom, garlic and red pepper (again, all these from the fridge) and topping with wholemeal breadcrumbs.  I'm tempted to roast these for dinner tonight and finish the pie tomorrow as I have a busy work day on Tuesdays.

• Brie
    Options
    Hotdogs.  well actually bratwurst but we're serving them in buns with cucumber relish, ketchup etc and coleslaw on the side.
  • Smoosh
    Smoosh Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brie said:
    Smoosh said:
    kerri_gt said:

I like cheese and jam toasties ☺️
    Oh - I haven't had that for years!!!  When I was a kid I'd have cheezwhiz on toast topped with jam!  So very healthy!!!!
    I'm partial to Cheddar with strawberry jam 😋
  • Smoosh
    Smoosh Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tonight we had mozzarella, tomato (olio freebie), basil (home grown) and balsamic paninis (YS bread) with herby baby potatoes (YS).

Followed by chocolate gateaux with raspberries. 
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Fridge clearing tonight, green salad, potato salad with a variety of proteins available 👍 love a ‘help yourself’ dinner or ‘fridge tapas’ as we call it 🤣🤣
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • goldfinches
    goldfinches Posts: 2,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    kerri_gt said:
    Brie said:
    Went out for Sunday roast dinner - marvellous.  OH did one better than me and had dessert as well - an orange/chocolate torte served with that crispy bubbly sugar stuff and salted caramel ice cream.  I hate orange/chocolate anything so wasn't tempted by that but he did give me a taste of the ice cream.  Absolutely gorgeous stuff from a local company and completely vegan.  Don't know how they made it but it was lush.

Net result is no cooking tonight but if I/we feel peckish later there's some goat's cheese roulade in the fridge and loads of oatcakes.  And wine.
    That's interesting. I hate chocolate/nuts combined but like each separately except hazelnuts. My evening class tutor this week spent some time on individual palates and preferences, fascinating and full of pitfalls that I had not hitherto appreciated.
    Any idea if it was normal or odd i used to like cheese and honey sandwiches based on that?

According to the tutor taste is highly individual and combining flavours is where the art of judging what appeals to the palates of others gets very tricky very quickly. He said that cooking for the same people over and over again could still throw up surprising smash hit or failure dishes after decades and that cooking for a family was the most difficult scenario he knew of. 

I made some bagels yesterday and although the end results tasted nice they didn't look very attractive so here's a photo to give you all a laugh.

Things were going well until I got to the dropping them into a pot of boiling water stage! You can just about tell that they entered the water as rings but they didn't leave the same way! I might have another go some day now that I have more of an idea what not to do.

Food 

Food for all is a necessity.
    Food should not be a merchandise, to be bought and sold as jewels are bought and sold by those who have the money to buy.
    Food is a human necessity, like water and air, and it should be available.

From Pearl S. Buck's To My Daughters, with Love.
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,927 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I still have lo chippy shop chips in the fridge so will use them tonight with lo sausage rolls and tomatoes/egg.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/325
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 76
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business