PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Tried on a lovely Jacques Vert, grey, silk shantung dress with delicately beaded shoulders in the Otley, St Gemma's 99p shop today. It was one of their 'specials' and priced at £9.99 as it was brand new and had the original price tag still attached of £103! Just a bit too snug....would not have liked to sit down in it IYKWIM!! :D Nothing else of interest either spotted or purchased today.

id have bought it and either slimmed a bit , or sold it on Ebay :D
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    No, let someone else enjoy it. Brilliant find though.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    From Air Ambulance:
    M&S padded jacket/coat (mid thigh length on me) in a brown/black alligator print with padded collar, concealed hood, really nice quality zips and poppers and a buckle belt.
    £1.00
    Rejected a M&S Portfolio dress as too dark for summer and a M&S Autograph dress (part silk) as too dressy, both were £1.00 (and my wardrobes are full). :o
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,922 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I did consider(briefly) both of those options but having tried the 'slimming into things' route in the past I now tend to think 'pah, life's too short!'. As for Ebay, these days....it' just such a lot of faff for so little reward. I hope someone else comes across ithe dress and find it fits them perfectly and that they love it too:)
  • suki1964
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    No, let someone else enjoy it. Brilliant find though.

Well the dress I found two weeks back which was way too tight is now just too tight, I'm determined it will fit perfectly by September :)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well the dress I found two weeks back which was way too tight is now just too tight, I'm determined it will fit perfectly by September :)
    I admire your tenacity! I fluctuate a little bit myself, and whilst I've bought beautiful clothes in the past in the hope of fitting into them later, like many of my items they've just sat in my wardrobe unworn - it's seems once in my possession, the incentive to wear them wears off fast! So if I'm ever in this situation these days I have a stern talking to myself: do I really want this item of clothing, or do I just not want to pass up on the bargain factor?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • suki1964
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I admire your tenacity! I fluctuate a little bit myself, and whilst I've bought beautiful clothes in the past in the hope of fitting into them later, like many of my items they've just sat in my wardrobe unworn - it's seems once in my possession, the incentive to wear them wears off fast! So if I'm ever in this situation these days I have a stern talking to myself: do I really want this item of clothing, or do I just not want to pass up on the bargain factor?

It is only because its just a beautiful dress that is so flattering and is going to be perfect for a wedding I have to attend

Actually its done me a favour. Ive been saying the past year I need to shift the weight and this dress has finally made me do it

Im not a dress up kind of girl. I have no idea on fashion or what suits or what doesn't. Clothes shopping is something I avoid like the plague. I live in jeans to make life easy for myself. As the weight went on it was easy to hide in jeans and jumpers and long shirts. When invites for anything that involved needing to wear anything other then jeans, I was otherwise busy and couldn't attend

Ive a wardrobe of clothes here that Ive put together over the years, stuff I know I look good in and suit me, all too tight, not seen daylight the past two/three years. Im getting there slowly , and its all down to one bargain priced dress picked up from a charity shop :)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    It is only because its just a beautiful dress that is so flattering and is going to be perfect for a wedding I have to attend

Actually its done me a favour. Ive been saying the past year I need to shift the weight and this dress has finally made me do it

Im not a dress up kind of girl. I have no idea on fashion or what suits or what doesn't. Clothes shopping is something I avoid like the plague. I live in jeans to make life easy for myself. As the weight went on it was easy to hide in jeans and jumpers and long shirts. When invites for anything that involved needing to wear anything other then jeans, I was otherwise busy and couldn't attend

Ive a wardrobe of clothes here that Ive put together over the years, stuff I know I look good in and suit me, all too tight, not seen daylight the past two/three years. Im getting there slowly , and its all down to one bargain priced dress picked up from a charity shop :)
    Suki
    I think that dress is a great incentive.

When I was almost 3 stone overweight (scary on a vertically challenged person :eek:), I bought a BNWT Next silk/velour full length dress from our local flea market.
    I hung it on the outside of the wardrobe and tried it on often.
    The day I managed to actually get the zip up all the way was amazing.
    Then it became too big for me.
    I eventually gave it away to a friend - still unworn - who wore it to a wedding.
    I know exactly what you mean.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Realising my parents Golden Wedding Anniversary would require a posh frock, I combined the suit I wore to the registry office with my yearning to play on the scout zipwire & managed to ditch 4 stone. Not in time to get into the skirt, alas, but enough to be able to borrow a friend's posh frock (which she'd spotted in Barnardo's) & look downright civilized for a few hours.
    Some things are worth struggling versus that chocolate biscuit for. I have put some weight back on & need to return to my efforts to get onto the zipwire, but as the scout season moves back outdoors, the odds are getting better!
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bought a dvd today.
    Was well gutted because I went over to the men's rail saw some shorts another woman had just picked up a pair of 38 waist men's shorts. I exclaimed that that wAs also what I was looking for. She then went back to the rail pulled out another pair hung on to the tightly and then offered me a pair that were not in the same league. Grrr!she was then talking to the assistant about the fact that they might be too short and could she bring them back. They were perfect for my hubby.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family