PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• Lavendar
    Options
    I would love to go to Nettlebed but can you get there by public transport can get to Henley by train or Maidenhead what sort of distance would it be by mini cab is it worth all the effort?
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,922 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wow miro that's amazing. DD would like a silk pillowcase but they are £45 in JL so I was just searching on here for ideas.

I will be off to the charity shop to try and find a suitable silk item. In the meantime I've remembered there is a satin PJ top in one of the bags waiting to go to charity that I could have a trial run with. I'm not the best at sewing and I'm sure silk is very slippery to work with.

Funnily enough I saw a b/n boxed silk pillowcase in the Sue Ryder shop a few months ago priced at £10 if I remember correctly.....and I thought that was pricy!! Been fancying one myself, (pillow creases on the face seem to increase as one ages:o), I will now be on a mission to find a chazza silk garment, or a couple a large scarves would be ideal, to make one. Sadly the 20p dress is made up of small intricately shaped pieces so I can't vandalise that. Silk is a pain to work with I find....lots of pins and even tacking needed and a fine needle in the sewing machine if not hand sewing!
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 January 2020 at 2:11PM
    Options
    Suffolksue wrote: »
    We got round it at DDs funeral by having a bunch of orange tulips on her coffin ( her favourite flowers and what she had for her wedding bouquet) and requesting donations as she has specified .
    She would have told me off ,but one lot seemed right .and funerals are for the living.

Probably easier for us as no surviving grandparents,but some elderly aunts were a little unhappy.
    Agree it’s a probably a generational thing

Wishing you continued strength

I totally endorse your thoughts Suffolksue. Flowers are for the living.

My gorgeous son died at 21 and 16 years on I still feel his loss keenly.

We had a Humanist funeral and no flowers...donations to his running club.

So many comments about..".I`ve never been to a Humanist service before "...! Guess what... neither had we!

We didn`t watch the coffin but we all left the room.

I remember so clearly the fabulous motley crew of people who came- Catholics, Jews, Hindus and non believers.

All in a mixing pot of love.

DFV- sending you lots of positive thoughts and I`m devastated for your loss. Wishing you strength in the months to come.

Jan xx
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lavendar wrote: »
    I would love to go to Nettlebed but can you get there by public transport can get to Henley by train or Maidenhead what sort of distance would it be by mini cab is it worth all the effort?

It wouldn’t be easy by public transport, but is possible - there is a bus (X38, I think) which runs from Henley on Thames to Oxford, and it has a stop right in the centre of Nettlebed so it is only a few minutes walk from the house and grounds where the sales are held. I don’t know what the bus timings are however so you’d need to check they work (it’s a rural service so there may only be a couple of buses a day, if that). The sales run from 10am to midday.

As to whether or not it is worth it, it depends on what sort of things you are looking for and the luck of the draw regarding what donations they have had in the weeks running up to the sale. Sometimes it is fab, sometimes it is rubbish. Also depends on whether you can lug your purchases back on the bus with you - if you are after big/heavy things, then I guess that would be tricky.

The postcode is RG9 5DF, if you want to use an online journey planner to help you. It’s about 12 miles from Henley.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Silk is a pain to work with I find....lots of pins and even tacking needed and a fine needle in the sewing machine if not hand sewing!

If I remember correctly we used to have to put tissue paper between the two layers of silk to stop it moving. Or Izal toilet roll, those were the days!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Miró
    Options
    If I remember correctly we used to have to put tissue paper between the two layers of silk to stop it moving. Or Izal toilet roll, those were the days!

Oh yes!!! I remember the Izal trick....can you even buy the horrid stuff now *shudders*
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 January 2020 at 10:00AM
    Options
    Ah, izal medicated - the public convenience paperwork of choice & also brilliant for tracing. Sadly no longer made (wef 2016) as they couldn’t make it pay. (!)

I’m a very lucky lass. Himself towed me through charity shop after shop & lo there was a very simple plain Anthology wear it once & redonate it plain black dress in my size.

In another, I was waiting to look at black dresses & the assistant “recognised my voice” - they had a jacket (simply be) new in & brand new with tags. Those painful phone calls helped! It’s a bit Professional B*tch but it fits, & my mother in law will not be distressed by it.

Same shop had a Denby craftsman’s mug in regency green & another had a pair of Lovatts hot water jugs which I will enjoy researching.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 January 2020 at 9:34PM
    Options
    So glad you have something that will meet the need, DfV.

In bed with my tablet and some buy/read/ re-donate novels from my local CS. Been soaked through twice today, so bed it is.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ah, izal medicated - the public convenience paperwork of choice & also brilliant for tracing. Sadly no longer made (wef 2016) as they couldn’t make it pay. (!)

I’m a very lucky lass. Himself towed me through charity shop after shop & lo there was a very simple plain Anthology wear it once & redonate it plain black dress in my size.

In another, I was waiting to look at black dresses & the assistant “recognised my voice” - they had a jacket (simply be) new in & brand new with tags. Those painful phone calls helped! It’s a bit Professional B*tch but it fits, & my mother in law will not be distressed by it.

Same shop had a Denby craftsman’s mug in regency green & another had a pair of Lovatts hot water jugs which I will enjoy researching.

Glad you've found something to wear, one less thing to think about at least. Thanks for the link - interesting, I wonder how well that paper worked in the sewers, a lot thinner and less bulky than modern loo roll but I can't imagine water had much effect breaking it down.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Miró
    Options
    DfV so pleased to hear that the sartorial problem has been solved - shame you couldn't find your first choice though.

Think I made a bit of a boo boo yesterday :o. Found a pair of camel coloured slimfit trousers on the sale rail of the community chazza priced at £1.90. Lovely cosy thick material, zipped pockets just under the waistband at the front and buttoned suit stylee slip pockets at the back. Strange thing was - no size/care/maufacturer's label or any sign of one ever being there?? Anyhoo tried them on and an OK fit. Then when I got home I suddenly had a :wall: moment as I realised I already had purchased this* garment a few months ago. Aaaarrgghh...these senior blonde moments are just going to get worse aren't they :o

* Suppose, to be pedantic, I should say 'a similar' really.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure