PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,909 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    For some reason this site has an inconsistent relationship with the ! (acute o). Fine for usernames but seemingly not posts.

Quite! If anyone quotes me I'm turned into a Russian space station by MSE, (Mir!) :D
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Hi Miro :hello:
    Hope you're OK.

Aww thanks for your concern Pollycat xx

I'm currently packing my bags ready to decamp to the wilds of North Yorkshire. The :mad::mad::mad::mad: plumber has broken and rendered unusable my one and only loo so I have had to cancel all my Chrimbo & New Year plans at home and go to stay with a kind friend further ooop north til they are able to source a new unit, (Plumber - much sucking of teeth..... aye up, 'tis t'olidays innit, can't do owt til January now). Why do these things have to happen at Christmas??!!

Disgruntled of West Yorkshire :(

about to be

Disgruntled of North Yorkshire :(
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Miro- I feel for you- that`s awful. Personally I`d find another plumber from personal recommendations rather than use the guy that broke your unit!
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Miro wrote: »
    The :mad::mad::mad::mad: plumber has broken and rendered unusable my one and only loo so I have had to cancel all my Chrimbo & New Year plans at home and go to stay with a kind friend further ooop north til they are able to source a new unit, (Plumber - much sucking of teeth..... aye up, 'tis t'olidays innit, can't do owt til January now).

Anyone would think that Screwfix weren't open until 4 pm on Christmas Eve and reopen at 7 am on Thursday 27th.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,909 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    janb5 wrote: »
    Miro- I feel for you- that`s awful. Personally I`d find another plumber from personal recommendations rather than use the guy that broke your unit!

I live in a rented apartment and it's the landlord's responsibility to sort repairs unfortunately. Most of the plumbers that their contractors use seem to be Polish for some reason and they all seem to have gone home for Chrimbo, (or Brexit!!:o) and now the landlord's offices have shut down til 2nd January too. No joy from the so-called 'emergency repair service' either. Have given up now...gave some Chrimbo food to a couple of neighbours and took the rest to the food bank collection in the supermarket, (and used their loo!!:D). Couldn't take it with me cos I'm going by train.
    Anyone would think that Screwfix weren't open until 4 pm on Christmas Eve and reopen at 7 am on Thursday 27th.

Exactly...or B & Q or Homebase, loads of possibilities if there was the will! Feel defeated at the mo but I shall come back after Chrimbo with all guns blazing. My landlord has a heavy social media presence....Facebook, Twitter etc.....*evil cackle* :rotfl:

Anyhoo...back on track....might get the chance to trawl some fresh chazza shops during my period of enforced relocation. :)
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Miro - what a carry on, really feel for you. Last year at this time we had massive problems with our gas supply which took 8 months to sort out and last Sunday our electrics blew (just ours) and we had to have the electric grid people out. Always happens at Christmas like you say.

I have been out for a long walk with DH to our favourite little town and a National Trust woodland next to it, obviously I had a mooch around the CS's and picked up some more bits

Hollister Navy Blue hoodie for DD - £1
    3 x dvd's 20p each
    French Connection Mohair blend polo neck for me, has beautifully long sleeves - £3.99
    Jack Wills long boyfriend cardigan in grey - £3.99
    M&S Per Una cardigan with argyle pattern to the front with scottie dogs and fairisle sleeves and back - £4
    M&S Per Una wool trousers, grey tweed, half lined, wide leg with turn ups £4.99
    Johnnie B grey striped top for DS, double layered so super cosy - £1.99

:eek: to the cardigans.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Matron_Midge
    Options
    I'm fairly sure it's against the law to leave you without adequate sanitation. I'd be letting them know on Monday that you have had to decamp to some where that has a flushing loo and asking how they intended to compensate me for ruining my Christmas plans - 3 months rent free would be a start ��
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 December 2018 at 6:04PM
    Options
    I'm fairly sure it's against the law to leave you without adequate sanitation.
    Regardless of what day of the year it is, landlords have a duty of care to their tenants - if its delegated, that applies to the managing agent. Escalate, escalate, escalate and make sure that your LL has just as rotten a Christmas as you have given that you've been forced out of your home through no fault of your own. Then make the case for goodwill.

I had what I planned to be a good long winter walk in the fine weather this morning. Unfortunately, my planned route involved passing six chazzers - I resisted half of them, and bought from the three I entered.

The first yielded a book for 50p, its cover had an endorsement from Daniel Goleman so it was a no-brainer. The second was Oliver Sacks' "Musicophilia" for £1. Although on my wishlist, I thought about it for a minute - £1 is generally my upper limit for a second-hand book - but realised the likelihood of seeing it on another chazzer shelf was too low to risk missing out. £1.50 on two books thus far, but I redeemed myself* at the third by buying 4 books for £1, including HB tomes by Harold Jacobson and Simon Schama, and smart but warm scarves for 50p each.

*Perhaps not. I also bought Clement Freud's autobiography (written before the world became acquainted with the truth) and again had to give this some thought, for obvious reasons. I rationalised that the money was going to the chazzer and not his estate...but what sealed the deal was his original signature inside. I thought it might be worth something one day.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Had a good prowl around Colne again. Denby sonnet salt pot, 50p
    Two flower arranging "combs" (heavy sharp little beds of nails into which to impale flowers being arranged) 2 for a pound plus a rolling wholly wooden snail toy, similar to this but both more classic & more appealing £1
    (I want *something* in my stocking!)
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    On Wednesday we finally made it to headingley. We were nearby due to an MRi . The shops were lovely but I didn't succumb until we visited oxfam. There dh spotted some Indian tree crockery by maddocks. It's a really popular pattern that lots of companies have used but we have pulled together virtually an entire dinner service from cs visits. Anyway there were 2 tureens a gravy boat and stand and a small platter. Ideal as although we've got some we use it as our Xmas dinner service and we are always short of tureens. Anyway £9.50 for the lot and we were delightef
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    bobsa1 wrote: »
    On Wednesday we finally made it to headingley. We were nearby due to an MRi . The shops were lovely but I didn't succumb until we visited oxfam. There dh spotted some Indian tree crockery by maddocks. It's a really popular pattern that lots of companies have used but we have pulled together virtually an entire dinner service from cs visits. Anyway there were 2 tureens a gravy boat and stand and a small platter. Ideal as although we've got some we use it as our Xmas dinner service and we are always short of tureens. Anyway £9.50 for the lot and we were delightef

Perfect timing for Christmas. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport