PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,911 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Once again the Daily Mail has been shown as to exactly why Even Wikipedia will no longer accept it as a source. Very poor quality journalism at best.
    I mildly share the RNLI's view on safeguarding - I liked school grounds that weren't fenced in & freerange children, but I appreciate that safety must be assured in this increasingly litigious world.
    I'll bet the "offending" mugs were ones I'd have looked & laughed at, but again, it only takes one complaint to cause a shindy.

Almost every organisation can hear the grouse of student mangers who don't know the job - but I think the RNLI is one of the very last places I'd look. Those in peril on the sea tend to need help from those who know what they are doing & can make the decisions on the spot - not the best place for micro-management!

Next I see an RLNI collection box (chippy in Colne springs to mind, I think drawn by the Mr.Benn artist, Dave McKee), I'll chuck all my spare change in. As while some folks have sunshine this weekend, some have some pretty severe weather & anyone volunteering to help in those circumstances earns my respect & tuppences.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Living in a coastal town, I know & have worked with several lifeboatmen or their wives/partners. In any big meeting when I worked for the Council people's pagers would go & 5 or 6 chaps would dash out to a shout to launch the boat.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Living on the coast and being a sailor I have the utmost respect for the RNLI as a charity. The guys and gals work B hard and are prepared to put their lives on the line to save others. The equipment is horrendously expensive (DH used to test the self righting lifeboats at Poole - to make sure if they were rolled over in heavy seas they came up again! and yes they do!)
    I can unserstand the mugs being too risque for an area where children would be able to see but why not just ask the guys to take them home? I'm sure we've all been in garages etc in the past with lurid calendars but it didnt corrupt my morality ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hiding behind a B&H giftee set was it ? :mad: :mad:

It never ceases to amaze me just how about 50% of chazza toiletries at least are b & h :D
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Found a Yoda t- shirt, actually from Disneyland, for DsS (who's 11 but needs small men's size clothes now) and two future party dresses for DD, both originally Monsoon so easily £15-25 each new, for £11 altogether in our Barnardos.

They were the only CS open in town today. Most expensive in town as well, no surprise there's stock on the rails that's been there over six months....
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,911 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lucy5781 wrote: »
    Found a Yoda t- shirt, actually from Disneyland, for DsS (who's 11 but needs small men's size clothes now)

Dead right to check even the expensive cs shops. That VAT zero rate only lasts til the young hit "youthwear", which depending on "how the garment is held out for retail sale" means you can sell the same vest top on two different racks for two different prices & charge VAT on one...

Genuine Disneyland sourced kit?! There's bragging rights! Alas my lads are all into adult sizes, but the expression of one son who ordered three fancy T shirts from America to find their medium was his idea of extra large.... Sadly I don't have the figure to wear them & m'husband lacks the inclination, so I think I'll suggest he takes them to a local nerdfest & tries to trade them.

Mamselle will grow into Monsoon party frocks? Lucky mamselle!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Thanks for your comments about RNLI.
    I'll continue to donate to what I feel is a worthy cause. :)

So - today's bargain from the ever-fab Air Ambulance £1:00 shop was a Seasalt grey & burgundy striped tunic with pockets and roll-up tab sleeves.
    Not sure if it will suit me (or even fit me, looks like a very generous 12) but if not will pass it on to my sis who will pass it on to her friend.
    And if it's not OK for either of them, it will end up at the Hospice shop.
    I consider these 'might be OK, might not, can't be arsed to try it on for £1' purchases as a donation to a very worthy cause. :D
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Out,_Vile_Jelly Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Went to posh horsey Banstead, Surrey at the weekend, which has a range of charity shops from the invariably overpriced Oxfam to a couple of more cheap and cheerful outlets. Got a clutch of books (25p in the hospice shop, £2 in Oxfam) and a long sleeved dress in a nice black and orange pattern; not a massive bargain at £7 but buying Miss Selfridge made me feel like I was in my 20s again.

My partner bought some jeans, after triumphantly yelling from the changing room "these 32 waist ones fit me, I told you it was the washing machine shrinking my others!" Definitely nothing to do with beer, crisps and middle age...
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just 3 books for £1 today, but good ones :)
    Went to posh horsey Banstead, Surrey at the weekend, which has a range of charity shops from the invariably overpriced Oxfam to a couple of more cheap and cheerful outlets. Got a clutch of books (25p in the hospice shop, £2 in Oxfam) and a long sleeved dress in a nice black and orange pattern; not a massive bargain at £7 but buying Miss Selfridge made me feel like I was in my 20s again.
    Hmm, I must visit my friend in Cheam sometime soon :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    First lot of DD's stuff that she's out grown and isn't worth passing on or selling (was given lots of already used stuff from several friends) donated this morning along with the the penultimate batch of DS's sleep suits.... He'll be two in September and I have one pair of larger suits for this coming winter but otherwise he's in normal pjs at night all the time now.... My babies are growing so fast!!
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills