PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    I keep an eye out for expensive toiletries, though I don't spot them too often. ... a bottle of l'Occitane body lotion

Hiding behind a B&H giftee set was it ? :mad: :mad:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    stepped into another world today in the form of the cr shop in royal leamington spa yikes laboutins for £175 bnwt for lk bennet cant remember the price I didn't buy anything but its a really nice shop if anyone ever fancies treating themselves :p
    onwards and upwards
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,911 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 May 2018 at 10:07PM
    Options
    Being a longhair, I gather I should be using a bristle brush on my length & not the Denman that is my go to brush. Given these things are (a) hard to come by & (b) often fiendish expensive when you do, picture my delight at finding a brush that was not only genuine bristle, but stamped as real ebony - and their valuation bod concurred. Mine for a fiver at St Catherines Hospice, Chorley!

Now, to putter off, do a microtrim, and see what bristle feels like against the scalp.

Just to reinforce the plaything-of-the-gods feeling, I got a gents bristle brush on a carboot stall this morning for 75 pence. The chaps may be looking sleeker and better tended, but the son within range went a bit wild-eyed about being brushed in public. I must show him the website where it sells for $104 & see if he's more willing to reconsider personal grooming...
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Latest bargains from the 'everything £1.00' Air Ambulance:
    Principles Ben De Lisi bodycon winter dress, in a geometric pattern in tan and black with long black sleeves and black side panels. Very slimming.

F&F grey/black check leggings.

Crane (Aldi) 100% merino wool sports base layer long sleeved top, still in box.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Anyone else having second thoughts about Age Concen? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/01/age-concern-chief-executive-stole-70000-charity-paying-cheques/

If I were a volunteer, I'd be thoroughly disillusioned.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollycat
    Options
    More up-to-date link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-44239469

Jailed for 7 years.
    What a despicable excuse for a human being.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Polly - makes me so angry to hear of another 'charity' worker abusing the system. I volunteer at my local AC centre and the people there are so lovely and caring - it's a smack in the face when the salaried managers abuse their power. Bet there's no reparation of any costs either. Grrr and double grrrr
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,911 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Blimey.
    I'll bet there was an unnerving either lack of auditors or dear old so-&-so Always does it. (The Dow Jones bunch change auditors about every 70 years. Here plcs are require to change every 20 & it's recommended every 10. Post Carillion, I can see that dropping further.) Fresh eyes, worth it to avoid this level of reputational damage.

I mentioned that little hairbrush? Husband went on the hunt online & he thinks it's MHS18... Less the very fetching box, of course. £180, for a hairbrush?! I'm not sure what part of the world is bonkers to pay that or to sell it on a carboot but I appear to have been whack in the right intersection at the right time.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    And he had the bloomin' cheek to plead 'not guilty' and force the taxpayer to fund the cost of a trial. :mad:
  • Pollycat
    Options
    And on the subject of charities losing support through bad publicity, did anyone hear about the RNLI standing down volunteers?

Apparently the Daily Mail (where's the roll-eyes smiley when you need it?) published an article in May and RNLI have published their side of events.

I've supported RNLI with annual donations for many years.
    We used to stay at the home of the coxswain of the Bridlington lifeboat when I was a child during our summer holidays.

I can't find the DM article (but have found this one on 3rd May):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5684991/Two-Whitby-RNLI-lifeboat-men-sacked-naked-woman-mugs-four-quit-row.html

And this is RNLI's response:

https://rnli.org/support-us/become-a-volunteer/volunteer-zone/volunteer-news/daily-mail-response-q-and-a-for-staff-and-volunteers

If anyone has time to read it, I'd be interested in your views. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure