Money Moral Dilemma: Should I force my friend to replace my £700 camera lens?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rex_Mundi wrote: »
    Adibell emailed the site team asking for advice.

The team decided to post this to ask opinion from others.

The dilemma as I see it is, do you forget the debt and put it down to experience or chase it down now as the law allows?

Both options are valid, but what do you do?

It is morally right to pay your debts. Is it morally right to enforce a debt on someone if they refuse?

Yes and yes that's why I don't see a moral dilemma.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • chocolady
    chocolady Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    People who post these dilemmas are asking for help and advice. Being snarky and rude doesn't help anyone and will push others away from asking for help too. So many people on these forums are unpleasant.

So true. Lately you get some really nasty pieces of work on here. Know all’s that act superior when in fact they are just plain nasty. I reckon the guy took it as he has suddenly unfriended you. Seems a bit of a heel. Not sure I
    if you have proof but maybe you could make a small claim against him if you feel strongly enough.
  • trigger_fish
    trigger_fish Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Rex_Mundi wrote: »
    Adibell emailed the site team asking for advice.

The team decided to post this to ask opinion from others.

The dilemma as I see it is, do you forget the debt and put it down to experience or chase it down now as the law allows?

Both options are valid, but what do you do?

It is morally right to pay your debts. Is it morally right to enforce a debt on someone if they refuse?

I'd write it off to experience and forget it.

But that's me.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    adibell wrote: »
    Hello, I originally posted this question to MSE.

:j having read the full story, I would start the money claim process:
    https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

No way I would write off £700.
    https://www.moneyclaimsuk.co.uk/small-claims.aspx

How long can I wait until I make a claim?
    The Limitation Act 1980 sets time limits on taking claims to court. Usually you will have six years in which to take legal action.
  • meknowalot-51
    meknowalot-51 Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 January 2018 at 1:40PM
    Options
    Hello,in answer to your question,i can't see how you can force your friend to replace the lens,so the answers no.You've given a lot of detail in your response's but at the same time there's a lot that's not there.Some have said you can go to small claims court as long as it's within six years,based on the info you've given i wouldn't.Lets start with the lens,less than a month after you bought it you found the focusing ring to be faulty.No mention of taking it back to the seller,did you pay by visa?Who did you buy it from?Your very vague in some of what you say,"the camera lense went over to manchester for repair",post?did you take it?Did it go direct to the photographer or the brothers in the flat?Then it was delivered to the flat for you to pick up,how far is the flat from where you live?Who contacted you to say it was in the flat ready for collection?Why couldn't you get there for a few weeks?When you eventualy did go and collect the repaired lens one of the brothers and you searched for two hours,no joy.Second brother said he will be home soon to help look but you had to go,that was may 2014.Your message on here no.29,he said,"i'll pay you for it" then two and a half hours later no.50,he said,"i'll send you some money for it".If you go to small claims court at least get your story straight.Everyone of you seems to agree that the lens was in the flat,then it wasn't.One of three things could have happened,no 1,the brothers sold it knowing you wouldn't go to the police because they knew where you got it from.no.2,they genuinely misplaced it in the move they were prepairing for.or no.3,you took it as some sort of revenge over the band.My money is on no.1.What i have given you is what you asked for,you asked for peoples,thoughts,suggestions and maybe great ideas.It's good that your mum and there's are still good friends,perhaps a subtle aproach is required?
  • MissKaur
    Options
    Tbf you have already lost the friend, you were a lil stupid but it wasnt your fault and you lost out. I wouldnt leave it because you have nothing to lose now anywsy...Maybe you could message him saying something along the lines of 'I know we haven't spoken for a while, just wondering did you ever find my camera lense?'

To which it's likely he'll reply no to, then if you want you could just say 'wish I'd made that insurance claim you told me not to'

And then if he hopefully replies not denying that, the messages could all be used as evidence at a small claims, so it's not a he said she said.

You could even reply the third time and try your luck and ask for the money, if he says no then just say I'm seeking legal advice with a view to claim in the small claims court so he knows and he might decide to pay. If he does agree to pay give him a time limit and say if not paid by x I will claim.

Just a thought.
  • gaving7095
    gaving7095 Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    It's too late now, surely - This should have been settled within a month at most. Seeing as he couldn't pay you should have just made the insurance claim if that's what you wanted to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure