Travelling On

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I had a weird-but-fantastic morning out yesterday. I walked around the footpaths of the perimeter of my local airport - I have a plan for the novel :p I was *really* close to the incoming planes, though, and I had my camera with me, and I truly expected to find a SWAT team waiting for me round the next bend :p

But all was well, and I got some great ideas for how to do what I want to do :j

Sounds a fun morning KC, even if tempered with (or is it 'by'?) some anxiety. I love researching for 'my' novel too:j. In my case it delays starting the actual writing:o. I think I may have mentioned that I'm a procrastinator:rotfl:
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Just been catching up on your diary. We went to see the Terracotta Warriors when they were last here, at the British Museum. It was amazing to see them up close and personal. Hope you are able to see them
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Has Squirrel's diary disappeared? I subscribe to it, and it seems to have just 'gone' :(
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,899 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I had a weird-but-fantastic morning out yesterday. I walked around the footpaths of the perimeter of my local airport - I have a plan for the novel :p I was *really* close to the incoming planes, though, and I had my camera with me, and I truly expected to find a SWAT team waiting for me round the next bend :p ...

Ahh, you might think they'd be worried about national security or some such, but really they just had you down as a plane spotter! :rotfl: :D
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    themadvix wrote: »
    Ahh, you might think they'd be worried about national security or some such, but really they just had you down as a plane spotter! :rotfl: :D

There was a case a few years ago where a group of British plane spotters was thrown into jail somewhere abroad because the airport security people thought they were spying:eek:. It received a lot of TV news coverage at the time and I recall it was a long, drawn out process getting them freed. Maybe plane and train spotting is just a British hobby;)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning! I bet my bottom dollar planespotting is a British hobby, yes :) and I do remember that case - Cyprus? Not sure - but I know I was definitely in this country, so its okay :):):)

Squirrel's diary? I haven't seen it in a while, but not ages .... when I've typed this, Goldie, I'll go look at my subscriptions list, if it hasn't been deleted (Oh! by the spam thing?) then I'll find it ...

The Terracotta Warriors, we've arranged for the first full week in July, a fortnight after the cruise but before the schools break up. Not booked it yet, but shall do, and the house is nowhere near being put on the market, so it won't have been sold from under us :rotfl:

Today, I'm expecting the supermarket delivery, and my supposedly wonderful phone has fallen off the network again. I've already restarted it once, I'll do it a few more times, see if that helps, otherwise its reseating the SIM, I guess :( I loathe the thought, I must say :(
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    Has Squirrel's diary disappeared? I subscribe to it, and it seems to have just 'gone' :(
    Goldie, I've just had a look through my subscriptions, and you're right, it seems to have disappeared :( it must be one of the ones that the mse bot deleted :(
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    There was a case a few years ago where a group of British plane spotters was thrown into jail somewhere abroad because the airport security people thought they were spying:eek:. It received a lot of TV news coverage at the time and I recall it was a long, drawn out process getting them freed. Maybe plane and train spotting is just a British hobby;)

This case?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/1362170/Plane-spotter-Britons-face-spying-charge.html

I just remember feeling glad I wasn't involved - I would have found it hard to not refer to them as "junk". IIRC correctly, they were Phantom IIs, the workhorse of Viet Nam, and exceedingly long in the tooth by then.

This is a car that launched in the same year - just to show the vintage.

1958_Corsair_Daten.jpg
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    This case?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/1362170/Plane-spotter-Britons-face-spying-charge.html

I just remember feeling glad I wasn't involved - I would have found it hard to not refer to them as "junk". IIRC correctly, they were Phantom IIs, the workhorse of Viet Nam, and exceedingly long in the tooth by then.

This is a car that launched in the same year - just to show the vintage.

1958_Corsair_Daten.jpg

Thanks, ZTD:T. Yes, that's the case I was referring to. Strange how the mind plays tricks, I thought it happened in Turkey or Cyprus:o.

What disturbed me when reading the report you linked to was how long ago it happened. 2001:eek:. I could have sworn it was about 5 years ago. Where does the time go?
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,331 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Cant believe it was 2001 either.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback