Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ooh lovely. Happy Pension Day! 🎉🎉🎉🍾
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ooh lovely. Happy Pension Day! 🎉🎉🎉🍾
    First time in payment, or is pension day like payday for rocking retirees? 🤟
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all!  Yep, I'm very happy about it :) Ed (hi!!!!) it was the first payment on Tuesday, as I became eligible last month :) 
    Today, I don't want to do too much on the accounts themselves, but what I might do is buy some premium bonds - they're also an item on their own on my Big List, so I could actually tick a whole something off :smiley::smiley: :smiley: 

2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yay to getting your well-earned pension, karma!!🎉 The coffee and sticky buns are on you!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    badmemory said:
    The banks are supposed to notify HMRC of any interest earned on non-ISA accounts, the figure they have is supposed to tally with what you file, mine never has.  Your online account should have the figures & I believe that your SA should automatically state what they are.  

badmemory, self assessment just doesn't happen that way, or at least mine never has.  The whole thing about SA is that you tell them - they may check it against other sources, and I think the linkie I just found may be something to do with it: Interest returns: Bank, Building Society Interest (BBSI) and Other Interest (OI) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) I'm doing all I can reasonably do to get my figures right, and I'm fairly sure I'm not pinging any bells because I work hard at doing everything legally.  

I have both paperwork and digital information from the institutions my money is lodged with, telling me what the interest is.  I'm not going to check that, I'm going to accept it - it's all mainstream institutions, if I'm caught up in something going wrong there, then half the country is too, and it will be obvious.  

Thank you for worrying!  But I'm fine :) 
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,916 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Congrats on the pension payment Karma! And oooh, definitely buy those bonds if it means you can tick something off your list!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 January 2021 at 12:39PM
    Options
    Yes sorry you are right, they have changed mine to simple assessment.  Believe me it isn't simple.  It is far harder checking their (always incorrect) figures than it is doing it yourself.  You will note that they are both SA, I wonder if that was deliberate?
    When you come to filing next years (unless they change it) the state pension IS prefilled & it also will probably be wrong because tax is charged on it when it is due weekly & not when it is paid (their figure).  Also most years (not all) will have the first week at the old rate with the rest at the new. And they say tax shouldn't be taxing!!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    badmemory said:
    Yes sorry you are right, they have changed mine to simple assessment.  Believe me it isn't simple.  It is far harder checking their (always incorrect) figures than it is doing it yourself.  You will note that they are both SA, I wonder if that was deliberate?
    When you come to filing next years (unless they change it) the state pension IS prefilled & it also will probably be wrong because tax is charged on it when it is due weekly & not when it is paid (their figure).  Also most years (not all) will have the first week at the old rate with the rest at the new. And they say tax shouldn't be taxing!!
    You should give them that feedback @badmemory, it might get better
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @Karmacat - well earned - enjoy! ☕
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I always ring them & tell them about my own, perhaps I should do it in writing or even as a complaint.  As for the self assessment I file, that is for a friend & as he makes a loss almost every year on over £100k turnover I feel it better not to draw attention to him!  It is genuine & I have finally, I think, got his daughter to agree that it is far better for him to keep working than to fully retire.  The state of him & his deterioration in the spring lockdown was a sight NOT to behold!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback