New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Travelling On

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
5.7K replies 257.9K views

Replies

• Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose it's because we have found our tribe but all your team of readers and mine are saying the same thing - I know the same will apply in the Village too. It does make me wonder where they find the (members of the public) people they interview on the TV (or what they bring to the party).

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £7,085.43/£5k 141.7%
    Save £12k in 2021 - #26 aiming for £7,500
    OS Grocery Challenge 2021 target £0/£3k 0% annual (£500 contingency)
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • StaffordiaStaffordia Forumite
    165 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    I suppose it's because we have found our tribe but all your team of readers and mine are saying the same thing - I know the same will apply in the Village too. It does make me wonder where they find the (members of the public) people they interview on the TV (or what they bring to the party).
    Just being contrarian, but there are probably people who read your diary and Karma's who will hold an opposing view but don't feel like they can or want to share it.  
    I imagine that there are those who are going to go quietly about their business and celebrate Christmas how they see fit based on their risk analysis of the situation not what the Government has dictated.  Karma has assessed the risk to her in her particular situation, there will be others who come to a different conclusion based on their circumstances.  There is only shades of grey as far as I am concerned.

Mortgage Free November 2018
    Early Retired June 2020
  • edited 26 November 2020 at 10:41AM
    StaffordiaStaffordia Forumite
    165 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 26 November 2020 at 10:41AM
    Hi Karma, I absolutely get your position, there is no justification needed for me (random internet stranger).  I was more pointing out that there would be people who don't agree with the current situation and would do as they saw fit and not necessarily comment what they were doing on yours or anyone else's diary.   I think that you got that from what I wrote?

I actually don't like Christmas, so it won't affect me much either way, but I would like to see my sister and her teenage children, but I will respect her decision on that.  She lives nearly 200 miles away, so we are likely to be in different tiers.

Retirement is great, although it hasn't been quite what I planned.  I retired early at 52, so that my partner and I could get married (spoiler it didn't happen thanks to Covid) and travel in our motorhome.  My hope is that this time next year Covid is a distant memory.

Keep safe, I enjoy reading your diary, it often gives me another perspective to think about.
    Mortgage Free November 2018
    Early Retired June 2020
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    35.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, Staffordia - yes, I did get that, thanks.  
    Sorry your plans for your wedding didn't work out :( I can understand not going ahead on the current basis, very measly.  As for Christmas ... I love the idea of a winter festival, but the Christmas Day focus exhausts me completely.  Demographics have made me less of a focus, though, and I'm happy with that.

But congratulations on such an early retirement, thats brilliant.  And a great plan, do post on here sometimes when you're ready/ are out there.  It's definitely something I considered, but even though I've got my test, I've never driven regularly, and the stress of re-learning, given my old chronic fatigue, means that I just can't face it.  Hence the folding electric bike research :)  

Right, there's a bit of a gap in the rain, so I'm off out.  Have a good day, all.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021
  • rtandon27rtandon27 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy Thursday KC - the drizzle lifted here as well, so I spent some of my lunch break out in the garden tidying leaves and pinching back finished flowers from the mums and geraniums. 

I'm rather pleased to find out that many of the herbs I planted earlier this year are cold hardy & faring rather well and that some of the ones that have been around for a few years are reacting well to the hard pruning of early autumn and sending out new growth!
    4 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Finally managing to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    74.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be seeing my ma.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 1 month to go ****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    11.4K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rtandon27 said:
     I spent some of my lunch break out in the garden tidying leaves and pinching back finished flowers from the mums and geraniums. 
    I read this as punching the flowers... Oops!
    NST Jan Jitterbugger#1; NSD16 ; Ex26 ; bagfuls (62)

Mortgage £386 ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: very soonish
  • badmemorybadmemory Forumite
    4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the difference between people on here & those in the real world is that we tend to think not oh great we can go out & do what we like but we can go out & do what we like but what is sensible for US, what will keep us safe.  I agree that long covid is scary & was never mentioned early on & flu never had that sort of effect either. 
    Although thinking about it I am not totally sure that that is true.  Back in 1988 I got flu followed by bronchitis including giving up smoking followed by my thyroid going walkabout.  Taste buds also went walkabout unlike the norm of stopping smoking meaning your sense of taste improves.  So was that version of flu actually a version of covid?  It would not surprise me to find out this sort of thing has been around a very long time.