Travelling On

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
5K replies 244.9K views

Replies

• beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    72.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy one with lovely white flowers on & blank inside.
    A friend designed them & I buy a few at a time.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • takataka Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    That is sad KC. I've sadly been on the receiving end of some sympathy cards recently as my Dad passed away in May. I can tell you any kind of card convaying that you are thinking of them/their family is welcomed, formal "with sympathy" card or not. I remember especially a lovely serene landscape print card from one of my Dad's friends.

Do you have a local card/gift shop you could support? One of the ones near me was in person shopping only at the start of the year but had been posting out multipacks of cards & lighter items throughout lockdown. Now they have set up a proper online shop so you can either buy from them online, visit the shop when it reopens later this week or do (free) click and collect from outside for anyone who doesn't feel they want to come into the shop yet. Maybe a shop near you is now doing something similar even if they didn't do so in the past?
    2020 MFW #51 £4661.39/£4711.30
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • edited 14 July at 10:43AM
    KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 July at 10:43AM
    Thanks all - and hi, Taka!  I'm very sorry to hear about your dad, that must have been so difficult in this environment :(
    And I'm sure you're right about the thought being the real issue, especially in these situations, I shall remember that.
    In a way, its a good idea to support a local shop thats trying to adapt and make a go of things, but I haven't been into any other building apart from my own house since before lockdown, and just as importantly I don't have any proper income till I get my state pension at the end of the year.  I want to use up the stashes I've bought, whether its textiles, cards, postcards, haberdashery, postage stamps, whatever, it was always my intention, and lockdown could finally make me do it.  I'm safe, and I can spend if I need to, but I'm loathe to spend in that way.  I'm quite embarrassed to admit it, but there it is.  Sorry
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • themadvixthemadvix Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing to be embarrassed about - I understand that you might feel guilty for not spending when you have the means to do so, when it might save jobs (because we're in that situation too), but it's not something to be embarrassed about - you'll be contributing in other ways. And using up stuff is better for you financially (as you mention the state pension situation) and the environment. Unfortunately there is a huge clash between the needs of the environment and the needs of the economy/people - our world is predicated on people spending for the sake of it, which is fundamentally unsound. 

If you've got the stuff to make cards that would be suitable, then go for it! Nothing says you're thinking about someone more than a card that you've spent time putting together - even my mediocre attempts have been appreciated so far (also using up my stash due to unwillingness to go out unnecessarily/more time). But I don't think my holographic card would do much for a sympathy card! :lol:
  • edited 14 July at 9:52PM
    KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 July at 9:52PM
    Aw, thank you both, very much appreciated - I've obviously been swallowing the propaganda about "get out and spend" hook, line and sinker.  And of course I *do* spend when I want to, those holidays and that kitchen etc.  But thats the key - I *want* to.  And what I *want*, also, is to use my stash, and be creative in a physical as well as a writing way.
    Speaking of which, I had an email from Amazon Japan - somebody over there bought a copy of my little book!  It might be an English person about to come back (before the pandemic) but the link the email leads to is in Japanese, and I've no idea.  I'll watch what happens over the next week or so.
    I also managed to go paperless on my Visa credit card account - still couldn't do it online, so I phoned them yet again, and it worked :)
    And the remainder of the shopping has been washed and dried, and is fully drying off :)  it all got very splashy :) so I got in the shower immediately afterwards :)
    Retired August 2016
    72.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you are quite right to only spend what you want to.
    It's your money after all. 
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you beanie :)
    Retired August 2016
  • takataka Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for your kind words KC. It has certainly been a surreal time during lockdown - losing Dad (not covid related) has been very hard especially as I'm on my own but I also gained a gorgeous baby nephew a few days later (who has been named after my Dad). Being able to get baby snuggles once they allowed extended households in Scotland has been a real pick me up. :love:

There is absolutely nothing to be embarrased by. It is your money to spend as you see fit. Using something you already is have, especially when you are making something wonderfully personalised for the recipient is a beautiful & lovely thing to do not to mention way more eco friendly than allowing your stash to go unused. Everyone should feel able to do (or not do!) whatever they feel comfortable with.
    2020 MFW #51 £4661.39/£4711.30
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
    72.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    taka~~So sorry to read about your dad.
    Take care of you.
    LOvely to have baby snuggles.
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    ***Keep plodding***