New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Travelling On

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
4.7K replies 239.5K views

Replies

• apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    10.4K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh, steady on!
    NST May#1; NSD 5; Ex 7; remove items 102; bagfuls (53)

Mortgage £3,000? ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: soonish
  • edited 10 April at 3:35PM
    KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 April at 3:35PM
    I wondered what on earth I'd written for a moment :p  but I have a recipe for potato cakes and I'm not afraid to use it :p 
    I've done some general faffing in the garden - the ivy thats always threatening to overtake my quince, the remainder of the weeds and grass under the rosemary, starting to unearth another fruit bush from long grass too.  I swear I didn't take longer than 35 minutes, so I'm pleased.  Took a walk after that, to a particular hawthorn hedgerow  I like, now drinking lots of tea.  Life is good - I *need* my garden, even though its difficult for me to make the best of it.  It makes me thankful I didn't decide to move to a flat  :/ and I really feel for people who want that garden experience and don't have it.

Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • themadvixthemadvix Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing like trying something new to make the day feel a success, Karma! Let us know how the potato cakes went! :)

Good going with the gardening and the walk too :) I second your enjoyment of the garden - wouldn't be without it, even if sometimes it's hard work.
  • greentgreent Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm particularly thankful for our garden in the current situation (even though ours is missing several fence panels and so is rather open plan to neighbours!! :smiley:
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early :)(orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £2975/6K
    Net sales 2020 £414.22/£500 Decluttering: 1250/2020
  • rtandon27rtandon27 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    KC - how did the potato cakes turn out? 

Many years ago OH introduced me to smash - lol - the remainder of the container got made into cheesey potato cakes with green onions which were really quite lovely.
    3.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morning all!  I think your post hit the nail on the head, RT - I didn't do enough flavourings.  And it was a bit sloppy.  And I used a tiny frying pan, so it took forever ;) but I do have a proper size frying pan.  I might try again with herbs and seasonings properly added (if I get more eggs, I want to use the remaining two for something else... anything else :)) still, for a first go, from someone as inept as me, they were pretty good!
    In cleaning up, I've also been retrieving seeds to plant - kale chard, welsh onions, courgettes, basil, nasturtium, all sorts.  I've only found one packet thats in date, oops ... so I'm going to do it all, tomorrow when  I'm a bit further on with it, and we'll see.  So today's work is definiteiy about gardening.
    Yesterday's was about phone calls - from my auntie, which went surprisingly well, had the usual family stuff - as well as phoning an anonymous family member who adores David Cassidy - there was a fly on the wall thing on last night about the last year of his life.  Me, I loved the Arena docu about Loretta Lynn.  Coal Miner's Daughter rules ok. 
    Retired August 2016
  • edited 12 April at 9:41AM
    KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 April at 9:41AM
    I did a lot of free-access downloading from ancestry last night.  My rellie who married a millionaire (actually two millionaires, I've realised) took ocean liner trips hither and yon - one of them to Yokohama.  Why would a couple of millionaires go to Yokohama in 1932?  It's not a cruise in our sense, I don't think, I must have a check on Japan's geography - I'd expect them to go to Tokyo if they went anywhere.  Fascinating. 
    I'll go along with Easter traditions enough to make something chocolatey - I'm thinking Jamie Oliver's eggless pudding cake, which has had good reviews.

ETA - unexpectedly got a slot for collect from store from Sainsbo yesterday.  For Friday.  It might be difficult getting it all home, but it saves me having to go inside the store, and thats good enough for me.  Even I'm starting to get low on frozen veg!
    Retired August 2016
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    71.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news on the slot. 
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 10 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • rtandon27rtandon27 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hooray for the unexpected slot KC! 🐣🐥
    3.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks both!  Yep, I'm chuffed with the slot, avoiding actually going in to the supermarket is a big bonus, they do it from the car park.
    The eggless pudding cake is, um, tasting great, but I don't have a processor (and I'm not going to buy one) so it resembled crumbs, and not in a good way :D I was pleased to do it though :D
    Plus a phone call to my colleague - his ex-wife is staying with him for the duration, and she and I have been away on city breaks before now, so it was good to talk to her too. 
    Retired August 2016