New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Travelling On

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
4.7K replies 239.7K views

Replies

• themadvixthemadvix Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ooh, how lovely about the fox!

I think the food shopping thing is also partly because it is one of the few things we can do to add variety to the day, even if we don't actually want to leave the safety of the house!

Like the idea of keeping a record, Karma/time tracking Cheery, not sure I've got the motivation to do it though. Haven't found the phone calls with people about 'what you've been up to' have entirely dried up yet though, so there's hope that I'm achieving something each day!
  • GoldiegirlGoldiegirl Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    HI KC
    I can't remember how old you are - but if you are 65 now, Iceland treat you as a priority, and they do have slots available. Mr Goldie registered with them as he's 68 now. The delivery slots seem to to pop up at random, so when we are ready to make an order, we check every hour, and a slot normally becomes available for the next day or the day after.  It's helped us a lot, as we get most of the basics delivered, and it minimises the time I have to spend in the supermarket to get the rest of the shopping.

If you aren't 65, just ignore me - there's nothing worse when somebody thinks you are older than you are! 

Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Goldie!  Even if I wasn't, with me bimbling on so much about fatigue and retirement etc etc, you could be forgiven for thinking I'm 65.  But in fact, I **am** 65  :D:D:D  so thats extremely useful, thank you!  I thought they only did collect/deliver. 
    I did 45 mins in the garden - clearing around a blueberry plant tahts never really had a chance, I've been too nesh about clearing little plants.  No more - I want blueberries!  So after I cleared, it got some nice fresh compost.  Man, there were a lot of weeds.   Slight problem ... a shield bug running about *inside* my shirt.  Luckily, they don't care about walking onto paper, so I as soon as I found it on the floor ;) it was easy to reintroduce it to the back garden :)
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    34.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every so often there's a piece of news that makes me go "whaaat?"  and Boris Johnson in the ICU was one of those.  I feel very lucky that I happen to live on a quiet street in a quiet town (there has been at least one coronavirus death here, of an elderly gentlemen, but it was rare enough to make local headlines).
    The general plan today is to get into the garden, do a bit more there - even though the grass is quite long, clearing grass *within* the borders is probably more important.  A couple of emails (okay, two emails, two website checks and a phonecall!) plus an online course I signed up to and slow cooking the veg, which are in danger of disintegrating in the fridge/ going mouldy.  That will keep me out of trouble!
    Retired August 2016
  • apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    10.4K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you managed to stay out of trouble?
    NST May#1; NSD 5; Ex 7; remove items 102; bagfuls (53)

Mortgage £3,000? ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: soonish
    34.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much >:)  the garden work definitely helped with that :) grass about ten inches long, but I could just pick up clumps and chuck them in my little bucket to be transported to the bin.  Previous work shows, even though I haven't been paying attention.  If I can just get out there regularly, 45 minutes most days (and there's no reason why not) then it will go really well.
    I've also checked what I've got in the freezer - I'm not great at cooking quinoa, or nuts (though I know both are ridiculously easy) but I feel like I *should* have them, so there's been a bit of a logjam, oops  - but cleared now.  That was a good piece of work.  So was slowcooking the veg, though I had to chop off a lot of mould :(   Emails and website checks done, though not the phonecall - I'll let myself off that, because I'm happy with what I achieved.  Its been a bugbear of mine for a long time that I'm quite adrift in the house, and I feel like I'm getting a grip.
    Retired August 2016
  • GoldiegirlGoldiegirl Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I seemed to remember you were about 5 years older than me, therefore, as I have just turned 60, I thought you might be 65 by now !!
    That must mean that you'll be getting your state pension by the end of the year, which will be a great assistance, I should think. 

Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    34.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Goldie :) yes, it will be brilliant to finally get the pension, such a relief. 
    Two good developments: I did a Pinecone survey recently, and realised I had £45 in there - so I've ordered it all in JL vouchers.  There's certainly stuff at JL I can buy, and I'm sure they're not under immediate threat financially.
    I also had a response from my 2nd query about the library's genealogical subscriptions: I can't get findmypast right now, they've used their info quota, but I *can* get ancestry.  Woo hoo!  Lots of money saved on subscriptions.
    Also been out in the garden again, very hot and very lovely: unearthing my poor rosemary bush from the grass and other weeds, still not completely done, but a lot better.  I just have to keep going.
    All good *jumpy happy smiley*
    Retired August 2016