New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Travelling On

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
4.7K replies 239.7K views

Replies

• themadvixthemadvix Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely rule stretching going on here - we have so little to look forward to in the immediate future that simple pleasures sometimes involve things we’d normally be stricter about!
  • DelichonDelichon Forumite
    270 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Karmacat said:

- oh, and the catch-up cleaning of the decade: cleaned the living room windowsill and the bottoms of the window panes - yikes, is all I'm going to say. 

I echo the yikes (in relation to my cleaning not yours). The sun was so bright today (after a hard frost overnight) that I suddenly noticed how filthy my windows are!  All the wind and rain in recent weeks is the only excuse I can think up.  I love sparkling clean windows and although I hate doing them the results are always worth it.  I made a start and did the front ones but the rest will have to wait until tomorrow.  The insides aren't too bad, I manage to clean them more often.
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge 2020.        #21    £447.43 / £1000
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Delichon said:
    Karmacat said:

- oh, and the catch-up cleaning of the decade: cleaned the living room windowsill and the bottoms of the window panes - yikes, is all I'm going to say. 

I echo the yikes (in relation to my cleaning not yours). The sun was so bright today (after a hard frost overnight) that I suddenly noticed how filthy my windows are!  All the wind and rain in recent weeks is the only excuse I can think up.  I love sparkling clean windows and although I hate doing them the results are always worth it.  I made a start and did the front ones but the rest will have to wait until tomorrow.  The insides aren't too bad, I manage to clean them more often.
    Oh yes, the light is just right to see all the smears on the windows. I paid DS to clean mine last week. I know they are clean and he did the frames and sills really well, but polishing glass is clearly not his thing  :/ and I can see every wipe mark in this sunshine!

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £2161.30/£5k 28.72% after Apr
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £863.93/£3k 28.8% so far at end of April
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 £7,678.12/£15,000 51.9%
    MFIT T5 No 2 £50,483/£59,998 or 84.14% paid after Q5
    My Debt Free Diary is [URL="http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php? t=5593594"]here[/URL]
  • edited 27 March at 11:58AM
    KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 March at 11:58AM
    Ah well, we're in *very* good company with our (lack of) cleaning :DB)
    I'm in two minds about the cleaning now - I've been utterly religious about cleaning the shopping, for instance, with washing up liquid or floor cleaner or Stardrops, plus a capful of disinfectant.  But its finally sunk in that disinfectant has no effect on the coronavirus, it needs soap or the recommended amount of bleach, and possibly to be left for 15 minutes or so if you use bleach.   All I can hope is that the soap I've been using has been in a good enough concentration.  Sigh ...
    On the upside, I took part in the 8pm clapping fest for the NHS, it was all quite loud round here, I loved it.  That was good.  Capital G.
    Today - bitty financial jobs, as well as yet more cleaning:
    - clean the rest of the shopping.
    - phone Asda.  The only two tins in the delivery were dented.
    - do I dare take my vacuum cleaner out for its first spin?
    - handwrite a direct debit authorisation, scan it, send it to my French bank so I can pay the management company via their new details.
    - add up the bits and bobs between me and my sister, so that its finally sorted.  That will do for now.

Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks beanie!  That made me smile, that was nice :)
    Retired August 2016
    34.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been holding on the phone at Asda for half an hour, to get that refund - impossible to log on to the website as normal.  When I finally got to the head of the phone queue, the guy was going to cut me off because it could be done online!  Nope, I explained, I've been trying to log on since I started this phone call.  You have to keep trying, sez he.  Oh boy.  I kept it really sweet, please and thank you, so the lazy git wouldn't put the phone down on me.  He says he's done it, we shall see.  I currently can't get my cc to go paperless and online, so I won't know for a month.  Might try that again if other jobs get sorted.
    Now I've lost the will to live, I need to eat something!
    Retired August 2016
    34.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took a walk fairly early morning (for a Saturday!) out by 9am, not quite good enough, but better.  I walked to the Waitrose to check how they were coping - no chalk lines on the ground, but a scruffy notice saying they were limiting the store to 60 shoppers at a time.  They have 2 very separate entrances, so they have a security guy at each one, and they're checking with each other by walkie talkie - seems to be working, very calm.  Only problem was that I saw a woman in her 40s try to enter with her son, maybe 8 - 10 years old, and he was refused permission!  I understand they don't want toddlers running about and crashing into people, but leaving a child that age on his own outside the shop isn't necessarily the best decision the management ever made.  I didn't go in, don't need anything.
    A good result for me this morning - unpacking my Asda order, I saw that one of the sweet peppers was rotten and falling apart - but this time, I could get on to the app, so I applied for a refund, and its come through.  Happy days.
    Hope everyone's safe and well this morning.
    Retired August 2016
  • themadvixthemadvix Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what she was meant to do with her son - leave him at home alone? How odd!

Glad you got a refund sorted quickly and easily for the pepper.
  • DelichonDelichon Forumite
    270 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Karmacat said:

On the upside, I took part in the 8pm clapping fest for the NHS, it was all quite loud round here, I loved it.  That was good.  Capital G.

I went out and clapped too but, unlike in your area there was only me doing it. No one else visible or within earshot because our nearest neighbours are about half a mile away. DH didn't join me, I suppose he would have if he'd felt part of  community all joining in.  He even told me I was 'bonkers' for doing it all alone in the darkness  even though he is full of appreciation and admiration for NHS workers.  I didn't care what he thought, I just had to be part of something really special.
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge 2020.        #21    £447.43 / £1000