We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Travelling On

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It sounds like you had a magical time KC - if I had realised that Harwich was on the cards I would have suggested the foot-ferry from Harwich across to Felixstowe and a toastie in the View Point Cafe which is next to the Napoleonic Fort/Prison - that usually does a staged Halloween thing if you fancy a return some time. The Ports are magical to me - the sheer scale of the container vessels is amazing.

So glad you enjoyed Beth Chatto's Garden - quite close to your accommodation, I think
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,857 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Ooh, sounds like a lovely trip! :j :j

I was thinking of you and your NT membership the other day. I'm really not sure we've got enough here to justify it, especially as Mr Cheery is not a fan so it would just be me. But I do want to go to Caulke Abbey at some point - our little local history group has organised a trip (I'm not going, although I now kind of wish I was :rotfl: ) but I might take a solo trip at some point. I know it's about £16.50 to get in :eek: so must check the annual NT price against that.

We are also fans of big things that should be small and small things that should be big :D :rotfl: Especially edible things, so we can pretend we are either really big or really small when we're eating them :rotfl:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,966 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad you had such a lovely time.
    I love lighthouses.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It sounds like you had a magical time KC - if I had realised that Harwich was on the cards I would have suggested the foot-ferry from Harwich across to Felixstowe and a toastie in the View Point Cafe which is next to the Napoleonic Fort/Prison - that usually does a staged Halloween thing if you fancy a return some time. The Ports are magical to me - the sheer scale of the container vessels is amazing.
    We saw the ferry on the listings, SL, and decided not to - we'd have gone to Felixstowe, if we'd gone anywhere, and we weren't sure if it docked in the right place for tourists, plus we knew that Harwich had a lot that my sister wanted to tick off her list :D

I was having a hard time with my gluten-freeness, so we found a lovely little pub where we had jacket potatoes and a pot of tea each; plain tatty was £2.95, it was all very good value.

We got used to seeing container ports up close on the Spanish cruise last year, but I never get tired of them, they're amazing :)
    So glad you enjoyed Beth Chatto's Garden - quite close to your accommodation, I think
    About 25 minutes away, I think ... the star of the show was the "knobbly knees" of the swamp cypress :rotfl: I'm not kidding, they don't know what they're for, they look like something out of Star Trek sticking up from the ground :rotfl:
    Ooh, sounds like a lovely trip! :j :j

I was thinking of you and your NT membership the other day. I'm really not sure we've got enough here to justify it, especially as Mr Cheery is not a fan so it would just be me. But I do want to go to Caulke Abbey at some point - our little local history group has organised a trip (I'm not going, although I now kind of wish I was :rotfl: ) but I might take a solo trip at some point. I know it's about £16.50 to get in :eek: so must check the annual NT price against that.

We are also fans of big things that should be small and small things that should be big :D :rotfl: Especially edible things, so we can pretend we are either really big or really small when we're eating them :rotfl:
    Thanks Cheery :) the annual membership I paid is £72 - no concessions, so thats the ordinary adult price. I only just broke even last year (but was saved the worry about prices) and so far I've been to:
    Lamb House, Rye £7.50
    Box Hill, free
    Grange Barn, £7.90
    Paycocke's House and Garden £7.90
    Sutton Hoo £3.50 (partially closed still).
    Currently £26.80. There are 3 big gardens a short bus ride away, plus one by my sister's, plus several in London and a few on the coast (there's even a few in Liverpool I haven't been to!) so along with my late summer holiday in the UK, I should do well this year :rotfl:
    beanielou wrote: »
    Glad you had such a lovely time.
    I love lighthouses.
    Thanks beanie. Lighthouses are wonderful things, aren't they :) and this concept of two in line is fascinating :)

I've been dusting the next lot of plaster dust :p and I've had two long goes in the garden. I'm starting to lose sympathy with pretty weeds, so I'm getting soil that I can actually open up and dig :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,985 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the tips on Harwich SL - might suggest there to DH, he'll love the container port and all the engineering and I can always eat a toastie! :D And clever lighthouses too - very useful for navigating at night :)

I have a similar issue with my DH, Cheery, although I did drag him round a Ham House the other week. He'd rather be out in the grounds/park/NT-owned countryside. But a joint membership isn't much more than a single one and we do try to get as many places as we can, even though it's an NT desert round here. I'm still undecided about whether to get joint life membership or just single (as you can take a guest in free with you).... that's a bigger price difference! (Sorry, that was a lot of waffle that didn't really have much point!)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Welcome back :wave: sounds like you had a fab time with lots of interesting trips and accidental visits/happenings upon.

Whats next kitchen wise? Are you nearly 'there'?
  • Karmacat
    Options
    teapot2 wrote: »
    Welcome back :wave: sounds like you had a fab time with lots of interesting trips and accidental visits/happenings upon.
    Thanks teapot! Yes, quite a bit of stuff - the guides at Sutton Hoo, for instance, were spiritualists (though they tried to be even handed) and told lots of tales of re-enactments that got a bit intense.

We never got to the motorbike thing at Great Bentley, sadly - that was the day we were at Sutton Hoo, and we were just shattered. But we heard them every night :):):)
    Whats next kitchen wise? Are you nearly 'there'?
    Oh yes! The builder texted me to come along the week just gone, and I pretended I was in Liverpool on family business, I didn't want to say I was on *another* holiday :p so the tiler is coming this Wednesday - hopefully, the electrician for the central light too. Nearly done!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,966 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad that kitchen things are coming along :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Good morning :) This morning I have:
    - checked our cine films from the 1960s against what was copied onto DVDs at the turn of the millenium. Cine films take up a *lot* of room, and there's no projector. Also discovered some reel to reel tapes, which I think are music. No one I know has a reel to reel tape recorder!
    - washing machine on, did the duvet cover from the holiday. Had to cut down sorrel gone to seed immediately under the washing line so I could put it out.
    - SB, just started.

Another domestic day, sadly. I have to:
    - carry on cleaning the living room, and *do* the bathroom (which is so tiny it will take about ten minutes :) ).
    - dishwasher on.
    - make sure my diary's up to date for June, between admin appointments and things I want to do.
    - more weeding.
    - going to hop out to see reduced rates at Waitrose near closing time :):):)
    - I quite fancy gluten free Yorkshire puddings, partly to use up some very old eggs. Done it once, it was a riproaring success - has to be at lunchtime, I'll have lots of fresh veg this afternoon from Waitrose.

Good heavens, the whole day is planned out! Which I dislike on principle, but a lot of things will get done.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Karma I have a reel to reel tape machine! It has no purpose in this house. No idea how much it would cost to courier it if you wanted it.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport