Travelling On

Options

Comments

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have a great holiday, new things to see and new people to meet (I love people watching and so many opportunities to do it on a cruise:D) xx
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    One more day & one more sleep!:j:j:j

Can't wait to hear about your adventuring!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks maddie - and yes, I'm totally with you on the people watching :D It's definitely going to be social anthropology time (onboard, not just the Norwegian Arctic!)

List is going down, which is great :j packing is finally happening.

Brother rang me up this morning about an international phone issue: do phones still need to be enabled to work abroad? Had a quick google, and it seems Norway's covered by the "roam like at home" rules that came in last year? Anybody have good info on that? I've found this ofcom page that seems to be detailed: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/using-your-mobile-abroad

I just want to get going now :rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,918 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »

Brother rang me up this morning about an international phone issue: do phones still need to be enabled to work abroad? Had a quick google, and it seems Norway's covered by the "roam like at home" rules that came in last year? Anybody have good info on that? I've found this ofcom page that seems to be detailed: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/using-your-mobile-abroad

I just want to get going now :rotfl:

On the first point - it depends, but I think you have a fairly new phone, so it should be okay. Don't take my word for it though - if you can check with a phone expert that would definitely be better. Is your contract enabled for roaming? That's a different thing again. (I think that still applies, but it might not since the roaming directive came in).

On the second point - I totally get that.... when you're all ready and just want to get gone... one of the reasons I leave packing to the last minute (even if it's Brownie holiday :rotfl: ) - I can't cope with the suspension of action at that point!

I hear you too CBC about sleep the night before, although fortunately DH doesn't make such demands (helped by lack of TD, I'm sure). I'm struggling to sleep now and we don't go till Monday. Know I'll be taking natural sleep aids the next couple of nights!

Karma - have a fabulous time and make sure you remember everything so we can live vicariously through you when you get back!:D :j:j
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks madvix! You're right, I did some googling, and now my phone is switched on to data roaming, I have the "lost phone" number (which I'll give to my sister, and take hers :) ), and Norway is the same as the domestic market and EC for phone charging purposes, there's an Ofcom link. Happy days :)

Yay to vicarious living I have a notebook and pens :j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Have a fabulous time in Norway :D I want to hear all about it!! It is definitely on my bucket list.
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Today's the day! :D

Enjoy your time away!!!!!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    KC, I'm not sure if you've already left home so am popping in now to wish you Bon Voyage. I hope I'm not too late.

Have a wonderful time.:dance:_party_:beer:. If anyone deserves that it's you:A
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have a wonderful time - do make sure the cruise ship isn't charging a premium rate for their WiFi and network (different rules in international waters) :money:
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Have a wonderful trip, Kc xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure