Slimming Through The Winter - Slimming World Support Thread 2018

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm on your side ssm as I think I disagree with your DH.:D

Obviously he's right that if any of us went back to eating (or drinking in my case :o) as we did before then we'd pile all the weight back on. But he's wrong that we have to give up chocolate or wine forever.

I think what's happened to create the obesity crisis is that things that used to be treats back in the day have become everyday occurrences. I think of SW as a healthy way of eating and syns just an easy way to keep treats at a healthy level.

It may have helped you to banish the chocolates but longer term it's better to have them.... just not all at once! :rotfl:
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    maman wrote: »

Are you self catering? As Gibraltar has such a British culture I'd assume you could buy anything we have here.

There's an enormous Morrisons supermarket there! DD and her friends would take orders from their colleagues for items that they couldn't get in the Spanish supermarkets, especially branded toiletries and sweets.

Re the slimwell/slimfree meals, it seems there's a bit of a dispute between Aldi and SW (of course) so some people have been using the calculator to work out the syns - they've worked out that the chicken tikka masala and the chicken saag are free, the bolognese 1.5, the 3 bean chilli 2.5, sweet potato curry 6.5 and the meatballs and pasta 10, but this isn't the official SW syn value. Others have pointed out that the calorie and fat count is less than..er.. similar meals from Iceland. Opinions as to how nice any of them are varies, as it does for the 'official' SW meals. The 1 syn burgers and meatballs seem to be liked by all.
  • maman
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me about the Aldi meals esmy . I might try the chicken tikka but I'm happy with the Lamb Rogan Josh at 1.5. All the others I'm happy to batch cook myself although I can see how a ready meal is useful for others. I just like a curry on a Saturday night and I've yet to find a recipe that tastes like a take away.
    Which burgers and meatballs do you mean? I always buy the Sainsbury's BGTY quarter pounders at 1 syn.

On another discussion where my consultant said you should have Speed on the side as well as in meals: I worked out that my Bolognese recipe has the equivalent mince to HALF a burger and all the rest is either Speed or herbs. Along with a measured portion of spaghetti (I use a proper spaghetti measure) I think that's balanced so I won't be having a salad on the side!
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,941 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yesterday OH made me think about the permanent life changes needed. At Christmas the kids removed all the gifts that I received that were naughty - chocolate, wine etc. I managed to stash two boxes of my favourite chocolates. Yesterday OH found them and ate a full box - sat next to me (sometimes it is amazing that I have not murdered him).

I'm with maman on this one - I think that providing you have the self control to just eat one or two chocolates, and not wolf the whole box in one go, you don't have to give them up - just have one as an occasional treat and SYN them.
  • maman
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    I'm with maman on this one - I think that providing you have the self control to just eat one or two chocolates, and not wolf the whole box in one go, you don't have to give them up - just have one as an occasional treat and SYN them.

If ssm can sit alongside her DH while he wolfs down a whole box and not murder him she DEFINITELY has the willpower! :D:rotfl:
  • Sunshinemummy
    Sunshinemummy Posts: 17,377 Forumite
    Options
    If ssm can sit alongside her DH while he wolfs down a whole box and not murder him she DEFINITELY has the willpower! :D:rotfl:

He is drinking my wine now........:eek::eek::eek::eek:

If he survives the weekend, he will be lucky!
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Evening all
    I lasted 2 days before falling off the wagon when I went for a meal with OH for his birthday yesterday :D I went with all good intentions of having chicken butterfly, spicy rice, large salad and water but ended up with grilled chicken burger, chips, coleslaw and full fat Fanta- then came home, had porridge and banana and later on a crisp sandwich- oops :D
    One unexpected bonus of my holiday- I have lost a heck of a lot of inches. I put on a tracksuit on Friday that when I bought it the previous week the bottoms were tight, and when I put it on they were falling off me! Also bought a size 16 top and harem trousers from Yours without trying them on, unsure if they would fit but theyre an absolutely beautiful fit. It was really difficult not reaching for the size 24s as I automatically still do :D I get my student loan next week and I cant wait to get some clothes that fit :rotfl: Im sick of wearing the same stuff, most of which is huge :D Im wearing a pair of Next jeggings tonight that I bought when I was still a size 22 (although theyre a large 20) OH came in to the kitchen earlier and said are clown trousers the new fashion then!! :D
    Todays menu:
    Brunch: Ham omelette with mushrooms and onions, decaf coffee with HEXA
    Tea: Dublin coddle (from one of the SW books but cant remember which- 2.5 syns for sausages) carrots, cauliflower, broccoli. Raspberries, 100ml Halo Top (3 syns) water
    Snack at bingo: Quavers (4.5) Apple, satsuma, water
    Supper: 3 Broghies (3) with ham, HEXB x 2 Alpen Light
    Syns: 13
    Love to you all xxx
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me about the Aldi meals esmy . I might try the chicken tikka but I'm happy with the Lamb Rogan Josh at 1.5. All the others I'm happy to batch cook myself although I can see how a ready meal is useful for others. I just like a curry on a Saturday night and I've yet to find a recipe that tastes like a take away.
    Which burgers and meatballs do you mean? I always buy the Sainsbury's BGTY quarter pounders at 1 syn.

On another discussion where my consultant said you should have Speed on the side as well as in meals: I worked out that my Bolognese recipe has the equivalent mince to HALF a burger and all the rest is either Speed or herbs. Along with a measured portion of spaghetti (I use a proper spaghetti measure) I think that's balanced so I won't be having a salad on the side!

The burgers and meatballs are made of 5% fat mince and are in the chiller. The burgers don't look they'd be 1/4 pounders. I had a look at them yesterday but I usually make my own and they're free. I also like the lamb rogan josh although I do make curries. Pataks curry pastes (not the sauce jars, which are synful) are good, fairly low syns and easy to use. They were recommended to me years ago by an elderly Asian lady when I was studying spices in an Asian grocers. She told me that she didn't bother with 'all that faffing' any more!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,634 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    ooh... and 3.4lbs off today

Great loss:j:j:j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,963 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening all :D
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure