Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.

Options

Comments

• tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    It all sounds great Alex, your son is having a lovely, secure, happy upbringing. He has so many opportunities, both parents and a caring extended family. Lucky you and lucky him!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,495 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    All any of us can do is our best :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,922 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Delurking to say Alex, following conversation about 'rock hunting' on Ed's thread, have you tried geocaching with your son? It's probably more applicable to the countryside, great fun and a great use of the petrol in the classics ;)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well, here's the typical last-day-of-the-month, where's the time gone?! Post from me. :rotfl:

Spreadsheets and record keeping - how do people do it on here? I manage to set the spreadsheets up, use them during the working week but as soon as Friday evening comes around they are put to the back of my mind and forgotten about. :o
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    I'm sure this must be a quote from someone very important - parenthood thy name is guilt.

I've never met a GOOD parent who doesn't feel guilty about some aspect of their parenting. So the opposite must be true, that if you feel guilty then you must be a good parent!

:rotfl: Very true, I think badmemory.

My wife has not been very well over this month (nothing serious but very run down at times) and our son has been so good with her. This has led to my wife feeling very guilty about her approach to our son. Shouldn't have taken that really but she and my father have spoken (he's been concerned she will regret being distant as he has); this week she picked him up from school one day for the first time since he started school. :)
    It all sounds great Alex, your son is having a lovely, secure, happy upbringing. He has so many opportunities, both parents and a caring extended family. Lucky you and lucky him!

Thank you, tootallulah. :)
    beanielou wrote: »
    All any of us can do is our best :)

Having spent the vast majority of my life thinking nothing can ever be good enough, I'm now trying to live by this adage, beanie. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Quiet Sunday. :)

Have managed to do a bit of decluttering including a chest full of things I hid from Mrs. K. over the years bought from my out of control spending habits. It reminded me how (mentally) ill I was and it being a place I really do not wish to return to. There are some nice things there I've decided to sell as I'd rather they were gone.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • PositiveBalance
    PositiveBalance Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »

Have managed to do a bit of decluttering including a chest full of things I hid from Mrs. K. over the years bought from my out of control spending habits. It reminded me how (mentally) ill I was and it being a place I really do not wish to return to. There are some nice things there I've decided to sell as I'd rather they were gone.

Not all memories are good ones but think of how far you have come. :)

It's good to hear about Mrs LK making more of an effort with Master LK. And your father imparting some wisdom. Sometimes it comes from unexpected sources. ;)
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,495 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy decluttering.
    You will feel so much better for it.

Have a good week.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »

I think you will find this quite cathartic - sort of letting that phase go by letting the possessions go. The items we treasure should have particular associations or memories and not only intrinsic value
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Debsnewbudget
    Options
    Hello Alex
    Just wondering how you are and what you have planned for summer holidays
    Are you currently on the safari ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income