Ladies...What is the best perfume for my Wifes Xmas Prezzy? What do you like/prefer?

Options
Question for the ladies...

I want to buy my wife some perfume for Christmas. She's pretty easy going and will accept any nice stuff. So, you are probably thinking...Just go out and choose something yourself...Well, last year I did this. Went to the Fragrance Shop and told the lady I wanted the best/most popular perfume. The lady then proceeded to tell me "This is the best. Its on special offer. It's such a bargain etc etc". So, I bought it. A few days later whilst chatting to my Sister who used to work in cosmetics years ago she told me "That is no special deal. There's a few places cheaper. We used to say the same thing when all guys came in to buy perfume for their partners". My Sister then went on to tell me that when a guy doesn't know what perfume he wants the assistants sell him the one that they make most money on or the one they need to shift.

Therefore, I would be very grateful if any of you ladies out there would tell me the top perfumes at the moment. The best ones to buy. The most popular etc. The ones that you and your friends like/prefer etc.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fragrances react with the enzymes on the skin, so it's not a one bottle suits all. You should already be semi aware of that from aftershaves.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 December 2017 at 2:07PM
    Options
    This is like posting what is your favourite football team? Whilst youll generally get the most popular result being man utd the problem is if you then asked do you like man utd, the majority of people would say no.

e.g chanel chance is quite a popular perfume (ie a lot of women like it) i bought it for my OH and made a terrible mistake!

Top tip, route through their stuff! Women only use what they like (i tend to use what im given). If she has bottles full, she probably doesnt use them, its the near empty ones you should replace. As a side and a nice little stocking filler that usually earns brownie points route through the make up bag and replace whats running out.

Alternatively you can buy taster sets of about 4/5 littler bottles. Probably more expensive than committing but then your bound to at least find one she likes.

Afaik, its normally always cheaper buying perfume/aftershave online. Do it through a legit retailer though.

Edit, all perfumes have a massive mark up. Youre talking a bit of alochol and pipette levels of fragrance so not a lot of expense. You only need to see the amount of advertising they can afford and the fact that they sell a product that costs £20-50 which people buy maybe twice a year to realise its more or less pure profit.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Options
    The best perfume for your wife is one that she likes, that reflects her personality and lifestyle, not one suggested by random strangers on the internet. You (should) know her - we don't.
  • LMG1305
    LMG1305 Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I've stuck to the same perfume for years (Chloe), but recently had a small bottle of perfume in my advent calendar & it was really nice, so I'm hoping for it for Christmas. It was Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium. Its a stronger scent than the Chloe one though, I would probably save it for nights out etc & keep my Chloe one for every day as it is a much lighter scent. Both are lovely though, but as DUTR said, they do react differently on different people.

Have you looked on Feelunique.com? With some of their items if you purchase the full size, they send a sample of it as well so that you can test the sample before opening the full size bottle. Maybe you could do this & then send it back if she doesn't like it? Or try going to Boots or Debenhams & see if they could provide a tester bottle. When I first purchased the Chloe perfume I told them it was for my wedding day & they provided me with a small sample bottle to try at home before committing to it.
  • ManofLeisure_2
    Options
    You could always ask the lady at the perfume counter to spray those sample cards with different perfumes, and then ask your wife to choose her favourite. I tried this and it worked out well :)
  • mrsjanebanbury2009
    Options
    If you can afford it, go to Jo Malone. They are really helpful and all the different flavours are the same price for comparative sized bottles, and they are all gorgeous.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What does your wife actually wear, like something she has bought herself.

The most popular are usually aimed at teenagers or early 20s. You want elegant but easy to wear. The sales assistance will tell you anything to get a sale, its their job.

Oh and perfume can smell different on different people so there is not one covers all.

Actually the most popular perfume in the world is Chanel No5, has been for years. I dislike it.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    You need to find out what your wife's favourite perfume is, not what anybody else recommends.

A specific perfume smelled lovely on a work colleague.
    I tried some on me in the duty free shop at the airport.
    As the scent developed on my skin it smelled vile, so bad it made me feel nauseous and I had to wash it off.

Don't take recommendations from a group of random strangers.
    Either ask one of your wife's friend (or your sister) who knows what she likes or ask her.

Otherwise it could end up being an expensive mistake instead of a happy surprise.
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,578 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    What does your wife actually wear, like something she has bought herself.

The most popular are usually aimed at teenagers or early 20s. You want elegant but easy to wear. The sales assistance will tell you anything to get a sale, its their job.

Oh and perfume can smell different on different people so there is not one covers all.

Actually the most popular perfume in the world is Chanel No5, has been for years. I dislike it.

I agree with your opinion of Chanel No 5. My DH bought me a large bottle which I felt obliged to use. I really did not care for it all.
  • BucksLady
    Options
    I must be different from most of the ladies posting here as I love to receive a new perfume as a surprise. Perhaps I've been lucky, but I've never received one that I've disliked.

I'm in my early 30's and love Cocoa Mademoiselle. Mum is in her 60's and loves the same. It does seem to be quite popular - that's not to say your wife would like it though :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure