PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Family of 5 'shop from home'food storage challenge...

Options

Comments

• OddjobKIA
    OddjobKIA Posts: 6,380 Forumite
    Options
    rainmac wrote: »
    What about cleaning products, do you use lots of different products? Bicarb of Soda works wonders for most jobs. Using Soda Crystals in your washing machine cuts down on the amount of powder/liquid you need to use and I've read on MSE about using white vinegar in place of fabric conditioner.

Hope that's of some help :rolleyes:

with cleaning products I just use anti-bacterial washingup liquid diluted in a spray bottle have done for years its worked amazingly well..

sadly my DD2 has a problem with dry skin and we have tried EVERYTHING for washing clothes...the only thing that dosent effect her is the persil concentrate....

anyway of to make some nice wholemeal rolls..
    THE SHABBY SHABBY FOUNDER
  • mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    mama67 wrote: »
    Can't remember if I got the Millies Cookies recipe from here or not but have made them today and they are delish.

Boys both said they are just like the ones sold at Millies.

I got the recipe from somewhere on os, they're fab aren't they - having tried what seem like hundreds, our faves are def vanilla and raisin, if you haven't done them yet give them a go!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • rainmac
    rainmac Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    mummysaver wrote: »
    Just a quick note to say this isn't my recipe, think it might be Weezl's or have come off her challenge thread, so thanks to whoever originally posted it! :j

3oz butter
    3oz granulated sugar
    3oz brown sugar (can just use all white granulated, works just fine)
    vanilla essence
    1 egg
    6oz s/r flour
    pinch salt
    4oz choc chips

Mix all ingredients together. Preheat oven to 180c. Put spoonfuls on greaseproof paper and cook for 11 mins precisely.

Cookies should still be soft when they come out of the oven, they will harden a bit. Peel off greaseproof when they cool.

You can replace the choc with raisins and they are our fave at the mo! Also works well with orange essence and replacing a tbsp of flour with cocoa powder. We like tesco value choc best in these, asda stuff disintigrates! dd2 is an expert at making these now, she has made so many! Have had to give recipe to lots of neighbours in the village now - except one who laughed and said it's ok the girls can just come and cook at your house :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just had one of my choc and apricot ones, not as nice as the raisin ones though!

Just wanted to say a BIG thank you for reposting this recipe mummysaver, they are the best cookies I've ever made (and I've made quite a few!). So far have made choc chip cookies and raisin/vanilla - our fave so far are the raisin ones, so moreish, could eat the whole batch myself!!! Thanks again :T
    :wave: If you want the rainbow, you've got to put up with the rain :wave:
  • lucasmum
    lucasmum Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    I also have tried these Millies cookies. I did some with raisins and cherries in but my fav was choc chip and hazelnuts. They were wonderful!! Thank you for the recipe mummysaver it will be a family favouite from now on!
  • BrandNewDay
    BrandNewDay Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Options
    OddjobKIA wrote: »
    with cleaning products I just use anti-bacterial washingup liquid diluted in a spray bottle have done for years its worked amazingly well..

I've just started doing this and I'm really impressed. I put a few drops of liquid into an empty spray bottle. I added a bit of thick bleach to the mix (just be careful not to spray it on clothes or upholstery.) For kitchen cleaning, it really does work as well as any other spray cleaner.
    :beer:
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    So pleased this Thread is still going, been looking at it for some time now and picked up loads of interesting tips and recipes, thanks to those who have kept it going.

It's all about changing the way you think about things, made some Chocolate Krispie cakes for DD2 to take to her School friends house tomorrow night, before I would have gone out and bought something:D

Anyway, thanks again for keeping this going as it's full of great info.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's great to see this thread moving again - welcome back Dee!

I've had a manic weekend - threw a surprise afternoon tea party for my heavily pregnant sister-in-law, I tried the lemonade scones - they were delicious and so easy to make will def use this recipe from now on

highly recommend the nigella meatloaves - they disappear very quick in my house!
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,679 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ooohhh lemonade scones - will be scouring the back few pages for that recipe

have we lost D&DD again?? I wanted to see her pictures! I love dee storecupboard pics

Am havign a cooking/baking day today and have apples to use up so will be doing the braids today with apple and raisin filling - yummy.
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • shelley1977
    shelley1977 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    the lemonade scones sound really nice,ive had a look back through but cant find the recipe,can anyone help?
    Adopt don't buy
    Rabbit rehome
    Give a bunny a forever home
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Here you go, I'm not sure you originally posted this, I picked the recipe up from a recommendation on another thread...

16oz SR flour
    8fl oz double cream
    8 fl oz lemonade (dont use diet)

mix the cream and the leomonade in a jug then add it to the flour until a dough is formed. roll out cut into scones ( i made 15)

cook gas mark 4/ 180*C for about 10/15 mins

I used a cutter instead of rolling and cutting (just not my forte I'm afraid!), they are really soft and doughy and not as sweet as some scone recipes but dd and her friends loved the leftovers from the baby shower last week
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure