PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Family of 5 'shop from home'food storage challenge...

Options

Comments

• bonsibabe
    bonsibabe Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Options
    ok so yesterday did not go as planned. had to take DD1 to the opticians (oops forgot we even had the appointment!). bit of a waste of time. he told us 3 months ago that yesterday would be to sort out specs for DD1 but then yesterday decided that she has to come back in 3 months. I'm sure he is paid by the army per appointment! Thank goodness they are back to school on monday, the girls have done nothing but scrap for the whole week!

Hopefully will be able to get something done today but not too hopeful!
    LBM - August 2008 - Debts then - £33390 :eek:- 2nd LBM - November 2009 - Debts then - £18500:mad:
    Current debt levels: OD £3860, Loan 1 £6091, Loan 2 £5052, Parents £260, Total £16133 :eek: As at 01 May 2012 - 51.69% paid off :j
    Aiming for a No Spend Christmas 2012!
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    awww thanks everyone. he is so big now 12lb 6 oz !!!!

how is everyone doing ?

hows all your strawberry plants dee ? i've got 2 plants and only had 3 strawberrys so far .

i'm planning on going food shopping at some point over next few day's . need to get my stock cupbaord built back up. i'm out of everything.

does anyone find there eating habits change in the warmer months ?

i've got some tinned fruit i need to use so going to make some fruit and jelly later, which we can eat on it's own or with custard or ice cream.

i have just bought a new freezer . it is a tall upright one. so hoping i can fill it up with lots of home made batch cooked meal's to help me out. i was planning on buying a second hand one. but my hubby said he would feel happier me buying brand new as it comes with guarentees so he bought me one. i am soooooo chuffed. it arriving on monday. and he said once i've saved up the money i can buy the matching fridge to go with it.

does anyone know when it is black berry season ? as i want to go blackberring , i love black berry and apple crumble. yummy.
  • jammy_dodger
    jammy_dodger Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    re blackberry season not until autumn time jcr16...woont be long bvefore wild raspberries are out though if you have them y you and wild bilberries too ..They make fab muffins but a faff to pick
  • amanda40
    amanda40 Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    Options
    I got raspberries on a woopsie last week in Sainsburys for 10p - bought a few packets and made raspberry and white chocolate muffins - mmm
    No Longer addicted to Boots! - Well not today anyway!! :blushing:

Officially Mortgage free 31/07/2017 , 12 years early :j
  • jcr16
    Options
    they sound gorgeous.

i'm never in a supermarket at the right times anymore to get such wonderful bargin's.
  • jcr16
    Options
    i've made an apple braid today for pudding after our roast beef. omg i fotgot how delish they were. went down a treat.
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jcr16 wrote: »
    does anyone find there eating habits change in the warmer months ?

Warmer months. Hmmmm. I think I vaguely remember what they are :rotfl:. At the moment it's definitely stew and steamed puddings weather.
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    donnajt wrote: »
    this is probably sad but I was just browing the Jamie Oliver website when I found this posted by Bernadine Lawrence, the author of "Feed your family for £5 - the benefit book"

"Hi Jamie,
    I've always admired your fresh style and your latest campaign 'Feed Your Family for a Fiver' is an excellent idea.
    I don't know if you remember me, from back in the day, promoting my book 'How to Feed Your Family for £5 a Day', based on the meals I prepared for my family of 6 when I had just £5 to spend daily on food.
    It's become a bit of a 'cult cook book', as it's out of print, however I've just completed a follow up to it with many more delicious, healthy meals for under a fiver.
    It would be lovely if you could include me in your campaign and acknowledge one of the first 'food warriors' to do battle with the "junk food giants".
    Bernadine Lawrence

does anybody else have this book? I was over the moon when I got a very cheap copy from amazon - I wonder when the new one will be published?
    I managed to win this book on ebay at the weekend, so will be waiting with baited breath for this to arrive in the post.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jcr16 wrote: »
    hi everyone.

been ages since i posted on this. but wanted to share with everyone( as this is the main thread i use and it feels like everyone in here is my bestest friends)

I had my little boy on the 16th April. Jenson JAck. He is gorgeous.

i know wrong thread but, here he is day he was born
    jensonfirstpics160408059.jpg
    and this was taken yesterday he now 6 weeks old
    kidsweek20th-26thmay109.jpg

ANyway i've skipped over some of the recipes so far as i'm really trying to get abck into cooking. i'm mega struggling at the mo tho, my cupbaords are so bare, but my brain just can't engaged what to cook , i've no enthusaim to even go shopping which is so unlike me. i usally panic if i see a space int eh fridge. now your lucky to find something in the fridge. But i am cooking cakes fine. Monday nights seem to be bakeing night, and i usally whip up a couple of bakewell's , or victoria sponge , or fairy cakes. Just easy thing's. but i love doing that.

With food prices how they are , i really need to get back into cooking how i was. so when i got 5 min's( although going by length of this thread now a few days) i am gonna re-read this thread and get motivated again.

i've got my veg patch underway (slowly) which i'm hoping i can make a real sucess of. i can't afford a green house but plan on buying one of those plastic ones to bring seed's on. Dee i read u bought one, how does it stand to strong wind's ? would i need to tie it to somethign , like u do gazebo's ?

Anyway can't wait to get chatting to everyone again soon and getting lots of recipes tried.
    My DS1 was 13 on 16 April so in very good company.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • jcr16
    Options
    tis a good date.

can't believe my not so little man is 3 months on wednesday, omg!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure