PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Family of 5 'shop from home'food storage challenge...

Options

Comments

• donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    this is probably sad but I was just browing the Jamie Oliver website when I found this posted by Bernadine Lawrence, the author of "Feed your family for £5 - the benefit book"

"Hi Jamie,
    I've always admired your fresh style and your latest campaign 'Feed Your Family for a Fiver' is an excellent idea.
    I don't know if you remember me, from back in the day, promoting my book 'How to Feed Your Family for £5 a Day', based on the meals I prepared for my family of 6 when I had just £5 to spend daily on food.
    It's become a bit of a 'cult cook book', as it's out of print, however I've just completed a follow up to it with many more delicious, healthy meals for under a fiver.
    It would be lovely if you could include me in your campaign and acknowledge one of the first 'food warriors' to do battle with the "junk food giants".
    Bernadine Lawrence

does anybody else have this book? I was over the moon when I got a very cheap copy from amazon - I wonder when the new one will be published?
  • Yategirl
    Yategirl Posts: 839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for the lemonade scone recipe - I shall make them during this next week while the children are off school!

I have Bernadine Lawrence's book - I am so pleased to hear that she is doing a follow-up and will be one of the first inline to buy it! thanks for letting us all know :D
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tried this last night it was delicious and really easy to cook

175g streaky bacon (says finest but I didn't use it)
    2 cloves garlic (I used garlic puree)
    40g cheese (I probably used more but cheese is my fav!)
    500g pasta (value)
    2 courgettes (only used 1 cos OH and DD were moaning)
    pepper
    200g creme fraiche

Cook pasta, brown bacon in a spot of oil until golden, add garlic, quarter courgettes lengthways into quarters then chop into smaller pieces add to bacon and garlic

Grate cheese, drain pasta, return to pan and add creme fraiche, pepper and half cheese, fold in bacon mix, serve and sprinkle remainding cheese on top - yum!

Am off to try Millie's cookies with DD now, enjoy this lovely wet bank holiday, donna x
  • Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yategirl wrote: »

I have Bernadine Lawrence's book - I am so pleased to hear that she is doing a follow-up and will be one of the first inline to buy it! thanks for letting us all know :D

Bernadine Lawrence posted as chelsea.housewife on the 'Show Jamie how to cook on a budget' thread a few weeks ago. Sorry can't do linky things. HTH
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    hi everyone.

been ages since i posted on this. but wanted to share with everyone( as this is the main thread i use and it feels like everyone in here is my bestest friends)

I had my little boy on the 16th April. Jenson JAck. He is gorgeous.

i know wrong thread but, here he is day he was born
    jensonfirstpics160408059.jpg
    and this was taken yesterday he now 6 weeks old
    kidsweek20th-26thmay109.jpg

ANyway i've skipped over some of the recipes so far as i'm really trying to get abck into cooking. i'm mega struggling at the mo tho, my cupbaords are so bare, but my brain just can't engaged what to cook , i've no enthusaim to even go shopping which is so unlike me. i usally panic if i see a space int eh fridge. now your lucky to find something in the fridge. But i am cooking cakes fine. Monday nights seem to be bakeing night, and i usally whip up a couple of bakewell's , or victoria sponge , or fairy cakes. Just easy thing's. but i love doing that.

With food prices how they are , i really need to get back into cooking how i was. so when i got 5 min's( although going by length of this thread now a few days) i am gonna re-read this thread and get motivated again.

i've got my veg patch underway (slowly) which i'm hoping i can make a real sucess of. i can't afford a green house but plan on buying one of those plastic ones to bring seed's on. Dee i read u bought one, how does it stand to strong wind's ? would i need to tie it to somethign , like u do gazebo's ?

Anyway can't wait to get chatting to everyone again soon and getting lots of recipes tried.
  • Yategirl
    Yategirl Posts: 839 Forumite
    Options
    awww!!!! He is GORGEOUS!!! :D Well done you!!!

take the meal plan slowly - think quick and easy stuff to start with and don't fret if you fall back on standby's...

The greenhouses do need to be tied to something I found - they blow away easily... I weighted mine down at the bottom with a heavy paving slab.
  • shelley1977
    shelley1977 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    he is lovely x
    Adopt don't buy
    Rabbit rehome
    Give a bunny a forever home
  • carriebradshaw
    carriebradshaw Posts: 1,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    congrats jcr16,he is a really lovely baby :D
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He's such a little cutie:rotfl: :rotfl:
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    Options
    Jcr16 welcome back and you brought your beautiful new son too:T

I did wonder how the birth went and I'm so glad it turned out well.As for the cupboards if it gets bad just throw a quick online shop in off one of your old orders and it'll be done and dusted and at your door in a few days:D

As for everything else who cares now is about the joy of your new son not cooking and cleaning

Lesleyxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family