We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Add your feedback on energy supplier People's Energy

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,769 Forumite
    Homepage Hero 10,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'm in process of moving over, meter reading supplied, DD due to be taken today, same amount as per forecast

So far so good
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PeoplesEnergy
    PeoplesEnergy Posts: 27 Organisation Representative
    HUMBUG wrote: »
    We've now decided to move to another supplier because just get the feeling that this is another risky energy company that might fold. Which is why I won't given them any meter readings because I'd rather be owing them when I leave.

Also this process to charge two amounts to get their fixed rate made me even more suspicious that they are banking lots of money upfront (why?).

Is it true that if the energy company folds while owing us money (when we have already moved to another supplier), that we could lose that money?

Hi there, I am happy to report we are not struggling financially, in fact, we're doing very well.
    The fixed tariff was introduced due to popular demand, and we require the 2 months up front because we buy our energy in advance. If we didn't have an upfront cost and your energy usage is higher than we expect, we'd be out of pocket.

If we were to cease trading, Ofgem would dictate who gets our client base (for example, when extra energy stopped trading, Scottish power took over their accounts). This means that your account, credit and debit included, is transferred over to the new company and it is themselves that would be responsible for any supply or credit balance.
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of PeoplesEnergy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
  • PeoplesEnergy
    peterx wrote: »
    I have been with Peoples Energy for two and a half months.It all went rather smoothly but prices went up.My main concern is that i am constantly running in Debit with them as they only took the first direct debit at the end of the first month.I have emailed and phoned about the problem but i cant get much sense out of them as communication is very poor.I am moving but will they let me when i am in debit.

Hi there, I am sorry to hear of the issues you've encountered regarding your direct debit. Without looking at your account I'm afraid I cannot advised why this error has occurred.

If you were to transfer away with a debit on your account there is a chance it may not be successful until the debit is cleared
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of PeoplesEnergy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
  • I joined People’s Energy at the end of Feb from Ovo (whom I’d been happy with). I ‘saved’ (on paper at least) over £200 annually compared with Ovo’s renewal offer. The switch went without a hitch and my telephone calls have been answered promptly, helpfully and knowledgeably. A couple of emails I’ve sent have been answered within a couple of working days. So service pretty good so far. I have now entered my first meter readings online (easy) and got a bill by email the same day! No complaints so far, then.
  • PeoplesEnergy
    I joined People’s Energy at the end of Feb from Ovo (whom I’d been happy with). I ‘saved’ (on paper at least) over £200 annually compared with Ovo’s renewal offer. The switch went without a hitch and my telephone calls have been answered promptly, helpfully and knowledgeably. A couple of emails I’ve sent have been answered within a couple of working days. So service pretty good so far. I have now entered my first meter readings online (easy) and got a bill by email the same day! No complaints so far, then.

Hello and thank you for your wonderful review! It is great that you have joined us. Welcome to People's Energy
    Verified Company
  • I switched just over a year ago. I have had multiple issues with the meter reading / billing process but the worst aspect has been customer services. They also implemented a price increase without advising me in September (just a couple of months after joining)

I made a formal complaint in January. The only replies to this were to say that I was entitled to take my complaint to the regulator and a message saying they had tried to contact me and been unable so they were closing the case.

Eventually, in JUNE, some 6 months later, someone sensible picked up the case and did what I had requested in January (a reconcilliation of bills and readings) it was finally resolved to my satisfaction.
    Advice to others 1: check your bills every month. it was a fluke that I noticed the error and then because I was looking at my bills to work out how they'd got it wrong, I discovered the sneaky price increase.
    Advice to others 2: if you have a problem persevere with customer services. they do have one person there who is sensible!
  • I switched around 6 months ago and yes the prices have risen, but as I am on a variable tariff then OK, and they told me with plenty of notice and asked if I wanted to go to their variable tariff...

I am very happy and would recommend them to anyone.

Great company, great ideas and give them a chance (or do you really want to pay the fat salaries of the big companies)?
  • VicAnn
    VicAnn Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 23 July 2019 at 10:40PM
    really be careful
    The switchover was easy but the fact I can’t use my smart meter is frustrating.
    The billing system is an absolute nightmare and my tariff is up and down and has all sorts of problems and when you write to them and give you a superficial answer and then ignore you. I argued and only then did my tariff come back down.
    I note that they have someone responding to good posts but to those like me that have found billing a nightmare, nothing.
  • Having always been with one of the big 6 energy suppliers, we decided to be brave and change to one of the lesser known ones, the best tariff for us was with Peoples Energy. The switch was faultless, it has felt very personal, all the information we have received has been very clear to understand. We have been with them now for about 5 months and I would highly recommend them.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,769 Forumite
    Homepage Hero 10,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic
    we decided to be brave and change to one of the lesser known ones, the best tariff for us was with Peoples Energy. The switch was faultless, it has felt very personal, all the information we have received has been very clear to understand. We have been with them now for about 5 months and I would highly recommend them.

Same here, I switched back in March and have had no problems at all
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.