Smart Meters

Options
1133134135136137139»

Comments

• Zaul22
    Zaul22 Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I registered for Bright, it still says 'we are getting your app up and running, it can take up to 24 hours.' 

It's been 2 days now. I didn't expect it to work as that Uswitch app that pays you for reducing your usage didn't work either. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Zaul22 said:
    I registered for Bright, it still says 'we are getting your app up and running, it can take up to 24 hours.' 

It's been 2 days now. I didn't expect it to work as that Uswitch app that pays you for reducing your usage didn't work either. 
    It that case you may have a comms hub WAN issue that only your supplier can address. 
  • oldandwizend
    oldandwizend Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    Options
    Zaul22 said:

It that case you may have a comms hub WAN issue that only your supplier can address. 

Not necessarily so!
    I use Bright and can access all available data but tried Uswitch 'cashback for reducing usage' and kept beng told they could not access data. After 10 days I gave up!
    It is said that there is a limit to everything. This cannot be true as everything has no limit!
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,603 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Zaul22 said:

You could try n3rgy at https://data.n3rgy.com/consumer/home. It's free to use and will download the data from the DCC for your smart meters. If there's no data, then your smart meter(s) are not transmitting the data.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    victor2 said:
    Zaul22 said:

You could try n3rgy at https://data.n3rgy.com/consumer/home. It's free to use and will download the data from the DCC for your smart meters. If there's no data, then your smart meter(s) are not transmitting the data.

The DCC, as an organisation, does not hold any consumer usage data. N3rgy, like Bright, uses DCC-approved secure Adapter software to ‘pull’ data from individual smart meters.
  • Zaul22
    Zaul22 Posts: 329 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2023 at 5:01PM
    Options
    It does make sense that it's not submitting data as the first time I applied for a smart meter they said they can't give me one because there is no signal in my postcode. Then one day an invitation to get one just started appearing on my account, but it seems they were right the first time. It's still beneficial to use the IHD to monitor usage and the bill so it's not really a big problem to have to submit them manually. At the moment it's been 2-3 days since I submitted the readings and I'm waiting to see if they got the day and night rate the right way round. 
  • oldandwizend
    Options
    Are IHDs meant to be accurately calculate costs?

On 01 April I switched  to Octopus.

Today (02 April) on investigating my IHD, I see that it is already displaying the Octopus tariffs  though it only shows a standing charge for electricity; for gas it displays £0.00!

As an experiment I recorded both units and costs as displayed on the IHD. I then applied the tariffs (unit cost plus standing charge) to the units expecting the calculation to equate to the displayed cost, give or take the odd penny. Far from it, the displayed cost for electricity was 8% higher than actual cost based on the KWH units displayed! Gas was correct but only if I included standing charge.  If I exclude the standing charge (since the IHD says it is £0.00 then I assume if was not included in its calculation) then gas display cost is 9% higher than the actual displayed KWH cost!

Obviously, since bills are based on actual consumption as measured by the meters then, provided the meters are accurate, I am not too concerned; just puzzled!

It is said that there is a limit to everything. This cannot be true as everything has no limit!
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    Options
    Change the IHD to display "usage now" and forget £. Your bills will be correct and the Octopus app or website has good info on your usage. You may be able to switch between kWh and £ on the app, it's a new feature that's gradually being rolled out.
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • tnjgb
    tnjgb Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    British Gas (Energy) installed SMETS2 smart meters around a month ago and at the time the engineers said they were unable to commission them as their new phone app was not working correctly and they would have to revisit. Of course they never came and when I contact British Gas they say the meters were installed and they don't need to commission them. They are not sending meter readings as British Gas are asking me to supply meter readings and they do not talk to the Geo display box which shows "not commissioned". They refuse to discuss the problem and hang up on chats and they also refuse to raise a complaint as they say the installation is OK. The meters cannot be traced on the Citizens Advice "smart meter check" page but their numbers are showing on my British Gas account. I have contacted the Ombudsman but they cannot act for 8 weeks. Is there anything else I can do?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 9 June 2023 at 9:01AM
    Options
    tnjgb said:
    British Gas (Energy) installed SMETS2 smart meters around a month ago and at the time the engineers said they were unable to commission them as their new phone app was not working correctly and they would have to revisit. Of course they never came and when I contact British Gas they say the meters were installed and they don't need to commission them. They are not sending meter readings as British Gas are asking me to supply meter readings and they do not talk to the Geo display box which shows "not commissioned". They refuse to discuss the problem and hang up on chats and they also refuse to raise a complaint as they say the installation is OK. The meters cannot be traced on the Citizens Advice "smart meter check" page but their numbers are showing on my British Gas account. I have contacted the Ombudsman but they cannot act for 8 weeks. Is there anything else I can do?
    Raise a complaint in WRITING. Remind BG of its obligations under The Smart Meter Installation Code of Practice. The code is included in BG’s Supply Licence. In particular, draw BG’s attention to this paragraph:

Edit: I should add that the installer should not have left you in this situation. The commissioning process sets off a raft of industry procedures. For example, it instructs the supplier to remove your old meter serial numbers from the two National databases which, in turn, allows the supplier to add your new meter serial numbers. The installer also provides closing readings for the two meters, this generates a Final Bill.

If you provide a manual meter reading/s today you may end up be billed from the last meter readings on your old meters rather than 00000.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback