Bonfires and fireworks - NST November challenge

Options

Comments

• Pauper1
    Pauper1 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mothernerd re your rant, I could not agree with you more! So glad you've got it sorted now though.
    DMP start 1st May 2014 - £5,864.48 £39,349.41
    Original DFD from Stepchange 6th Sept 2039... :eek:
    Now aiming for end of 2021
  • DebtFreeDuo
    DebtFreeDuo Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mothernerd well said! Glad you have everything sorted now. I know what you mean about things taking time, I had my housing benefit stopped for almost 3 months because 'being a student isn't a normal case' so had to be referred, I didn't notify my landlord as I know they would have immediately thought I was going to cause them problems, I paid my rent from my savings. 3 months to do a simple calculation! Their response about asking them to do it quicker? 'If you get an eviction notice from your landlord we can sort it out more quickly'. Anyway, I won't start another rant, I could go on forever!
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Checking in, another Not-a-NSD, had to buy groceries and posted a card to America to my cousin who recently became a father. Picked up a copy of It's a Wonderful Life which is one of my very favourite films but used a £5 voucher so really it was just £2.

Walked a 4 mile round trip to various big and therefore cheaper supermarkets. So at least some exercise was done.

Grateful for the sun shining, grateful for the printer working, grateful for my OH's day at work being easy when he was concerned it would be stressful.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • DebtFreeDuo
    DebtFreeDuo Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Day 8

NSD: 5/18
    Food: 44.95/£100
    Exercise: 10k Steps - 5/20
    Cycling - 0/10
    Study 1 hour: 4/25
    Clear out: 15/30
    Extra income: £57.10/£100

Quite productive today, more studying to do this evening. Grateful for a lovely time reading with DS, he's getting on so well with putting his words together, I'm such a proud mum. Also grateful for my dad for his advice and to my very small number of friends which seems to be getting even smaller.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mothernerd well done.

Another diy success due to youtub3. Had one cold radiator upstairs and managed to fix the tvr (the regulator valve with the numbers on).

But also lost a sfd due to ordering an outfit for the staff xmas party. Was only 20quid after apllying a 35% off code.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    R.E. the benefits system struggle. Despite being unemployed I did the benefits calculator check and I would only be entitled to £10 a week due to living with OH who is in employment, which wouldn't be worth it to me due to the misery of going to the job centre (he is on an entry level salary in case you think he might be a city banker or something). There have been more than a few occasions in the course of our relationship when I have struggled with work and getting work and money and we both realised I would be better off financially if I didn't live with him (in that I would be entitled to more benefits).

Once upon a time OH was unemployed, and I was working part time, so we decided to do a joint claim. There is an 8 year age gap between me and OH, at the time I was 23 and he was 31. I was in a high risk age group, and he wasn't (this will become important in a minute).

When we first applied we had to have our appointments on the same day and on the same floor as we were a joint claim. Later we were then split up because I was in the high risk group and had to be on a different floor. About two weeks into my new time and floor I was told I was going to have to go back because we were a joint claim....it might have gone on if I hadn't have become annoyed.

Also despite working part time I was earning 'too' much money and I think the total amount of benefits we had during a 3 month period was about £25.

I am glad we have some semblance of a benefits system and will always pay my taxes to support it, but it sure isn't easy.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,757 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well said mothernerd!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • DancingDragons
    Options
    Fmess, hope today went well for you!
    Dawn, your OH drama queen status did make me laugh, shouldn’t as I am sure it hurts but it’s how you tell it.
    F0xh0les, totally with you on the kids mess thing. I find myself running around getting more frustrated/cross as I close, pickup, put away after everyone. Then it’s totally my fault because clothes, toys, tools can’t be found when needed. I wasn’t born a whinger, but I KNOW I sound like one. I need one of those magic clearing tables, and the larger autoclearing floor. ;)
    BadBookeeper, Do you have a Heron Frozen Foods near you? If not Aldi or Iceland.
    Mothernerd I have lived with a disabled parent through the last lot of PIP type faffing about, and it is causing as much misery and stress this time as it did in the 80s. They have just won their case, like last time it took an age to sort. It was a case of persisting and living on fresh air much of the time as I recall, I really don’t know how my parents manged to bring two kids up on the money they didn’t have. I am so pleased you have finally won out, I know what a relief it is. No I don’t believe anyone should go through what you have, and you have every right to rant. I think this whole Paradise Papers thing reveals a lot about where the money is actually going and why its all upside down. I truly worry about the winter this year, not for our family, in many ways we have privileges others can only hope for, but for the many out there I know who are already fighting to keep warm/head above water.

Nuff said on that as my soapbox is mighty, and makes me into a v dull person.

Eat Well. +5 a day shoved on a YS pizza which I promptly chargrilled to crunchy in the oven. DD1 then tells me we need to be an ordinary family and order out to Dominos cause that’s what normal people do. Normals have more money than I do. She had to put up with improvisation, chips and the last of the quorn sausages.
    Mental Health: Found five minutes for a cuppa, staying organised and keeping track seems to be the goal for positive vibes here.
    Value for money: Yesterday, managed to get in to a Free Play session at an indoor play place, with free tea refills. Today discovered that my Christmas meat is organic/ free range reared and works out less than it would have been to buy from Aldi. Win.
    Today: Used Mr T Club vouchers to pay for birthday meal booked for the weekend, snagging on to a free public event. What could have been a very expensive night will be only the cost of drinks.
    Also did my first “Maths for Work and Life” today. Not sure what I was expecting, but it’s nice to stretch the brain again, and it’s free. It may also lead to a part time role I’ve always hoped to do. Would fit so much better than attempting full time teaching around my family. While teaching is also something I want to do, I worry about the stress and issues it’ll cause at home.
    Getting organised. Its all about DD2 bday atm. Tomorrow might turn out to be a SFD – as the purchases I must make will be on a giftcard I bought a month or two ago.
    Groceries PW 80.00/£79.20
    Petrol PW £25.00/£25.00 Had to get petrol car was running on the memory of fumes.
    NSD 1/12 *sigh* I will get to twelve.
    Exercise PW 1/3 Walked 3 miles, but didn’t get to gym.
    Monthly Social inc extra fuel: 6.95/50.00
    Half School run: 1/5
    DD1 School Dinners Monthly £15/£45
    Carpet Fund: £33.25
    CHRISTMAS: Read an article on BBC News site about how parents of under 12s spend about £121 per child on Christmas but this year are expected to opt for cheaper toys. While this certainly isn’t the case round where I live, (most will spend that on one present) I no longer feel pressured to buy all the things! Both kids have plenty. I’m done buying for them.
    Grateful for:

Libraries: Quiet hiding place today, but other days it’sa must have free entertainment so many social activities go on there.

Lakeland: dishing out free chocolate, a nice surprise.
    DH: running around after DD2 while I play taxi for DD2.

Mum's CS coat find: sort of sheepskin with pretend fur for £5, which she then gave to me. Super cosy warm when sat in the freezing cold waiting on DD1. Like tonight :/

Breaking through a writing block. Onward and upward deadline looms.
    Adult Education: Never to late to learn, never to late to rediscover self. (and value of self which is a bit messed up right now!)
    Debt Free April 2019:j to July 2019 :( NEW WTC:eek:1,194
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 806 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mothernerd very well said.i pay huge childcare bills (90 pounds a day) and I am entitled to something called "tax free childcare" which is about 100 per month. Its not a fortune but it makes a huge difference to us. My account hasn't worked since July and they told me to send proof of my childcare bills snd they would put the money in my account. They have never fixed the original issue and only last month they finally paid me what they owed . its no exaggeration to say I made 100 calls and I will have to do it all over again if this months payment doesn't turn up. I was told by one advisor it was so hard to get paymentd shes had people sob down the phone. I am so lucky that we were okay and could get by but I know im one of the lucky ones... Well done at keeping on at them. Xx
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSDs - a spend day today so still on 3/18. Spent £37 at the dentist, my root canal is now finished :D. I've got horrendous toothache again tonight but it should settle down in a couple of days. I also spent £13.50 on groceries.

Organise - £46.12/£150 food, £44/£50/social.

Value for money - got some good ys bakery bargains.

Exercise - usual walk to and from work. Was planning to go for a run after work but it was cold and rainy :o

Mental health - work seems never ending at the moment and it's hard to stay feeling positive and motivated, however, doing my best.

Be Christmas ready - didn't get a chance today to even think about phoning to get Christmas savings out, maybe tomorrow.

Eat well - generally a good day again, although did eat more of the biscuits I made yesterday.

Report - 8/30, grateful for an inspection at work going well, having good support systems and painkillers.

mothernerd - really glad you got the Carer's allowance sorted.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10814.10/£15000 (72.1% saved). Emergency fund - £1562.44/£2000 (78.1% saved).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure