Avoiding Car Tax Overlap

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And yet this whole thread is over an unwillingness for a one-off subsidy of a tenner.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Doh!! In order to pass the current driving test you have to know how to carry out basic checks on a car. Clearly if you bought a 2nd hand car your wouldn't be bothered by how long or short the MOT was.

Yes you do need to know how to carry out VERY basic checks and even if y9i checked all that it still doesn't include and brakes or suspension components and no maintenance. You can't seriously be suggesting that someone who passes their test can fully maintain a car themselves.
    On my daughters 5 year veterinary course there is not one person who works full time and only a small number with part-time jobs. They also have to do placements in the holidays. So there will be absolutely no students getting a first in Veterinary Studies who have a full time job.

Exactly they have to do placements to get hands on experience. If your daughter had a full time job in a vets and went to university one day a week I can guarantee she will be far more experienced and much more likely to get a first.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    edited 19 November 2017 at 12:52PM
    Options
    Wow, there are a lot of of asshats here.

This is a money saving site
    Someone kindly says how they avoid paying too much money
    And gets a load of grief for having done so.

Well done Pete, for putting up with the asshats for so long. They will be asking if you buy organic or standard vegetables next, you wait and see!

Pete (4petesake),

When you do a transfer vehicle online do you still have to send the V5C?

I ask because if you do a transfer vehicle online with a new keeper date 31st (or end of the month) Would the DVLA refund the seller for the following month up to the end of the taxed period, without returning the V5C? So if 31 Nov 2017, and the vehicle is taxed to the end of January '18 would the DVLA refund December and January? The new keeper can tax from 1st December. And there will be no double tax? i.e. no need to wait until the end of the taxed period?

I am also wondering on my own thread (which is on the first page)
    If date of transfer is 18-Nov-17 but you send the V5 at the end of the month, or you do it online at the end of the month putting the date as 18/11/17 .... the old keeper get refunded from December onwards...the new keeper tax the car from 1st December, The tax has been paid for November and not refunded.
    There is a theoretical untaxed/unsorned period of 2 weeks, but are the DVLA really going to do anything to the new keeper for those 2 weeks?

And on a final note, I don't care how many RK's a vehicle has had, I only look at the condition of the car, the age and the price. I generally then keep any car I get until the end of it's serviceable life. But on any car, you expect in the first 4 years 1 or 2 RKs, in the first 6 years 1,2, or 3 RKs. The No. of RKs is no indication how well the RK looked after the car.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    Wig wrote: »

This is a money saving site
    Someone kindly says how they avoid paying too much money
    And gets a load of grief for having done so.

Well done Pete, for putting up with the asshats for so long. They will be asking if you buy organic or standard vegetables next, you wait and see!

Pete (4petesake),

When you do a transfer vehicle online do you still have to send the V5C?

I ask because if you do a transfer vehicle online with a new keeper date 31st (or end of the month) Would the DVLA refund the seller for the following month up to the end of the taxed period, without returning the V5C? So if 31 Nov 2017, and the vehicle is taxed to the end of January '18 would the DVLA refund December and January? The new keeper can tax from 1st December. And there will be no double tax? i.e. no need to wait until the end of the taxed period?

I am also wondering on my own thread (which is on the first page)
    If date of transfer is 18-Nov-17 but you send the V5 at the end of the month, or you do it online at the end of the month putting the date as 18/11/17 .... the old keeper get refunded from December onwards...the new keeper tax the car from 1st December, The tax has been paid for November and not refunded.
    There is a theoretical untaxed/unsorned period of 2 weeks, but are the DVLA really going to do anything to the new keeper for those 2 weeks?

And on a final note, I don't care how many RK's a vehicle has had, I only look at the condition of the car, the age and the price. I generally then keep any car I get until the end of it's serviceable life. But on any car, you expect in the first 4 years 1 or 2 RKs, in the first 6 years 1,2, or 3 RKs. The No. of RKs is no indication how well the RK looked after the car.

Most of this is answered in your own thread!

One ten year old car I looked at a year or two back had thirteen keepers most for short periods of time, suggests a lemon. Needless to say I did not bother to look at it.
  • Wig
    Options
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Most of this is answered in your own thread!

One ten year old car I looked at a year or two back had thirteen keepers most for short periods of time, suggests a lemon. Needless to say I did not bother to look at it.

Actually I have asked 2 main points of Pete,
    • If you do it online do you have to return the V5C before any tax is refunded?
    • If you do it for a transfer date mid month, but don't renew the tax until start of the following month will DVLA do anything to the new keeper, for those 2 weeks?
    Neither of which is answered in my thread.

I didn't know about transfer online until this thread. Although re-reading my thread I see Johno did mention it but it was not a direct point made only a passing comment and I did not notice it.

If you feel either of these points are answered in my thread please feel free to quote those answers. What exactly did you mean when you said "Most of this is answered in your own thread"? and you felt the need to use an exclamation mark.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

No, the online transfer means you can then just bin the old V5C.

• If you do it for a transfer date mid month, but don't renew the tax until start of the following month will DVLA do anything to the new keeper, for those 2 weeks?

If they don't SORN it, and don't tax it, then they are certainly leaving themselves open to a penalty for an unlicensed vehicle, whether they use it or not. This is a relatively small fine - but a lot more than the tax. Whether DVLA would bother is a different question entirely.

If they use it on the road (including parking), they leave themselves open to penalty for using an untaxed vehicle. That gets expensive very quickly if it's clamped and/or towed. No points, though.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I didn't know about transfer online until this thread. Although re-reading my thread I see Johno did mention it but it was not a direct point made only a passing comment and I did not notice it.

If you feel either of these points are answered in my thread please feel free to quote those answers. What exactly did you mean when you said "Most of this is answered in your own thread"? and you felt the need to use an exclamation mark.

Why are you asking random people online these questions?. These are answered officially on the gov website, so just go on there, read it and you will save alot of time.

I would answer you questions but I'm sure you wouldn't want an answer from one of us "asshats".
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options

You really know how to make a mountain out of a molehill!
  • Wig
    Options
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    You really know how to make a mountain out of a molehill!
    And you know how not to admit you were wrong. There's that exclamation mark again.

By the way, I generally use organic vegetables.
  • 4_Pete's_Sake
    4_Pete's_Sake Posts: 310 Forumite
    Newshound! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 December 2017 at 11:33PM
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    Yes you do need to know how to carry out VERY basic checks and even if y9i checked all that it still doesn't include and brakes or suspension components and no maintenance. You can't seriously be suggesting that someone who passes their test can fully maintain a car themselves.

IF THIS POST HAS BEEN HELPFUL - PLEASE CLICK ON THANKS :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport