PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

General Pizza tips & Quick Questions

Options

Comments

• Angelhales2601
    Options
    I use the sainsburys bases, perfect size, some tomato purree, or heinz pizza paste when its in stock and then shove on whatever veggies I have in the fridge, they rock! Takes me no more than 15 minutes and cooks in the same...
  • brighthair
    brighthair Posts: 646 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use cheap garlic and coriander naan bread as a base, works well
  • tomstone514
    Options
    hawkster wrote: »
    If i want to make a quick pizza. I use french bread as a base:rotfl:

French bread as a base for a pizza? really?....that must be awful! i will give you some advise.....follow a recipe from Italians on how to make pizza! The Italian Deli is where i get my recipes from and to be honest i care more about taste than price! quality of ingredient is much more important than eating pizza bases from a supermarket than hard wierd things inside like pototo starch!
    i also shop online there once in a while as it is good value for money.
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    i use tomato ketchup as my base to pizza topping's. i love the sweeter taste it give. as for topping i generally do ham and pineapple with loads of cheese. but i've tried all sorts .

for the base i like to make the dough in bread maker, but i have to say i like to keep a box of the sainsburys dough mix in the cupboard and it is gorgeous.

i also make my own garlic bread using the pizza dough for the base. and again lots of cheese. ( but i love cheese)

i was thinking this morning while making the toast. a slice of bread could make a nice base. i went down the lines of thinking about cheese on toast. then though if i spread a slice of toast with ketchup, then added some ham and pineapple followed by cheese it would be a sort of pizza/cheese on toast. not sure how it would work but i'm gonna give it ago figured it should work , so worth a try,lol.
  • sunflower76
    Options
    I make the base in the breadmaker (don;t have the recipe to hand at the mo -sorry) and then top it with a tomato sauce that I've made from fresh toms, onions and garlic minced in my hand operated mincer then fried. On top of this I add whatever is lurking in the fridge, usually peppers, mushrooms, salami, bacon, mozarella etc.

I always pre cook the base for a few minutes before adding the toppings.
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Right, that's decided - I'm having home made pizza for dinner tonight! :drool:

tomstone514 - there's nothing wrong with french bread pizza - it's lovely stuff! Of course it's not a proper Italian-style pizza but it doesn't claim to be: it's really just a hot cheese and tomato baguette given a fancy name! ;)
  • huston_kw
    Options
    We've just had homemade pizza and it was fab. Hubby had pepperoni and jalapeño peppers and I had tuna, ham and mushrooms. We had mushrooms and ham in the fridge to use up and the rest was store cupboards stuff.

Yum yum!

Oh make pizza every Sunday we have pepperoni & jalapeno, it's so spicy and delicious, he makes another for kids with is whatever they fancy at the time, but the LO is use for bate / packed lunch next day
  • Kiwisaver_2
    Options
    I make a version of Pizza Expresses 'Sloppy Joe'. As usual spread sauce or puree on the base, sprinkle of cheese and leftover chilli or spag bol dotted about depending on how much you have, sprinkle a bit more cheese and some extra veggies, peppers, mushrooms and sliced onions depending on what we've got.
    Mortgage
    Start January 2017: $268,012
    Latest balance $266,734
    Reduction: $1,278.45
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've never made a pizza, but i'm going to now, thanks for some lovely ideas.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ooh, pizza - my favouritest ever thing to eat! :drool::drool::o

My current favourite topping is chorizo and jalapeno - cheap chorizo seems to work best as the good stuff gives out too much fat and makes a bit of a mess when you try to eat it!

Pizza's also good as a way of using up odds and ends of veggies - I just roughly chop whatever's sitting around and sprinkle it with chopped garlic and some chilli flakes - most veg seems to work done like this. Tomato, goat's cheese and black olive is nice too - it's my standard way of using up a glut of tomatoes about this time of year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure