PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

General Pizza tips & Quick Questions

Options

Comments

• Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I normally use the sainsburys ready made bases. However, DS1 made a pizza at school from scratch. He was able to make stuffed crust so will get him to show me (!) how he did it!!

For my toppings, favourite is tomato puree, crisp bacon, sausage and lashings of cheese.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I make one most weeks. Considering you can get cheap pizzas for about 99p it isn't cheap but far nicer and healthier. I cheat and use the breadmaker to make the dough (v cheap) but a bag of mozzarella is over a £1 then I add value sweetcorn, fresh peppers, mushrooms, etc.

I make the sauce in bulk. I put a tin of tomatoes or passatta in an oven proof dish with balsamic vinegar, tomato puree, oregano &/or basil, onion, black pepper and garlic and bake it till the onions are soft and it has reduced down. This makes enough sauce for about four huge pizzas and is also useful as a sauce if my children want pasta for their packed lunch.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Melly,

I do similar to scotsgirl..... make the base, reduce tinned tomatoes with basil, garlic, onion and any other herbs I have, then whizz with a stick blender and spread over the base before adding the toppings. Usually I batch cook the tomato sauce and freeze in portions enough to cover two pizzas.

If you take a look at the links listed in The Complete Pizza Collection you'll find lots of recipes and advice on making your own pizza.

Pink
  • knithryn
    knithryn Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    Morrisons own brand cheap pittas 19p for 6, (which we keep in the freezer and then toast before topping). Cheap cheese grated and frozen. Odds and ends from the fridge eg last bits of ham, peppers, tomatos etc
    Toast the pitta.
    Spread with tom puree.
    Add a little cheese.
    Put on top other toppings, with the ones that need most cooking on last so they are on the top.
    Put under the grill.
    Makes a fast and easy pizza.

Serve with homemade coleslaw, green salad, baguette, garlic bread etc depending on hunger.

Yes I've done my own bases from scratch, used bought bases etc, but for sheer convenience and making a meal out of leftovers on a Friday night we keep coming back to pitta pizzas.
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    I use ciabatta bread for my pizzas. Then a thin layer of Ragu, some cheese and whatever toppings I fancy, and I sprinkle some dried chilli over them as well to spice them up a bit.
  • no.1swimmum
    no.1swimmum Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I too use the Sainsburys Pizza Base mix, make stuffed crust (either stuffing with cheese or tomato puree.

I also found that Ciabatta is better than french bread as it does not roll loosing toppings and it does not crisp up as much as fench bread.

I prefer tomato puree followed by onion, peppers, mushrooms and cheese
    Fibro-Warrior
  • skintlass
    skintlass Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    I make pizza dough in the breadmaker then top with tomato puree mixed with grated garlic, parma ham, mozzarella and some low fat cheddar, pineapple and jalapenos. Its yummy and much better than most bought pizzas.
    Never let your sucesses go to your head and never let your failures go to your heart.:beer:
  • tartantotty
    Options
    My mum used to make pizza bases using a scone dough recipe, and then topped with cheddar cheese and chipolata sauasages. I loved it!

It was back in the day when pizza was still fancy, and I didnt like tomato sauce! It was my fav comfort food! :T
  • Pitlanepiglet
    Pitlanepiglet Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've just had homemade pizza and it was fab. Hubby had pepperoni and jalapeño peppers and I had tuna, ham and mushrooms. We had mushrooms and ham in the fridge to use up and the rest was store cupboards stuff.

Yum yum!
    Piglet

Decluttering - 127/366

Digital/emails/photo decluttering - 5432/2024
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    Options
    My boys love hm pizza base (made in the bm) with baked beans and cheese on top.
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure