PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MissRikki ((Hugs)) take care of yourself x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 November 2017 at 4:40PM
    Options
    Hoping to stretch the pack of mince, are oats better than lentils for dissolving in the mixture?
    Not sure if this is too late but - Oats are great at completely disappearing and thickening a mince meal but too many of them can make it a little 'gloopy'.

Lentils have the right 'mouthfeel' when cooked with mince and aren't amazingly obvious - less so if you also grate a carrot or two into the mix.

Personally I use a roughly equal amount of diced onion, grated carrot, lentils and oats - plus the odd handful of TVP and a tin of baked beans. I don't use any water - I use tinned toms or cheap passata for all liquid - chuck in a stock cube and there's never been any complaints about lack of 'meat' ;)
    NewShadow wrote: »
    I worked out my budget of £150 is roughly £37 a week - as this shop is being delivered on Monday afterwork but paid for now I'm going to count it as this weeks spend so no shopping on Saturday for fresh bits and bobs.
    Musclefood meat delivery first thing this morning. Paid for out of last month's budget so no cost. Most of it's in the freezer and I've got a big piece of salmon out of the freezer to cook with this week.

They didn't have some chocolate I ordered for cooking in stock so they've refunded it and I've got a code for a free whole chicken that I might add to my christmas order as I only use them every few months. Can't complain too much as the chocolate was only an impulse buy but a whole chicken will feed me for most of a week.

Just got back from taking the cat to the vets - £31 but that's from a different budget because it needs to go to the insurance company.

On the way back I spent an impulse £2.50 buying me a cake and a homeless man a cuppa - I did buy the cake for him but he didn't want it so waste not want not :eek:

Means I'm slightly over budget for the week but my cashback for my earlier shop is tracking so when that pays out it'll balance.

Total spend so far = £38.63/£150

MissRikki *E-hug* :grouphug:
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MissRikkiC wrote: »
    Off work and under a blanket is where ive spent most of my time; however hoping to pick myself up today.

So sorry to hear this, hugs x :grouphug:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 November 2017 at 6:33PM
    Options
    Had a couple of spends this month, first 96p on 3 bags of ys parsnips and today £7.25 in Sainsbobs on cashew milk, Linda Mc Pulled pork burgers, some spicy bean burgers, seeded wholemeal rolls and 2 packs of biscuits, plus some other stuff - fair bit of junk really - I will eat with salad. !!!! - Have a lovely w/e everyone - I have updated sig.

MissRikki - sorry to hear your news, best wishes to you and yours.

Hoping to stretch the pack of mince, are oats better than lentils for dissolving in the mixture?
    Personally, I don't like oats in mince, tried it once and found the texture to be 'slimy'. I use brown lentils, if I want a firmer mince and red if i'm using a lot of sauce, as they dissolve when cooked for a while.
  • dingdongsaving
    Options
    So sorry Miss RikkiC. Take care and let yourself sit under that blanket if that's where you want to be. <3
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    An epic £50.25 to start the month!

Loads of fruit and veg - soup and casserole weather, and some cheeky avocados and posh bread to remind me of the summer.

Also a refill of crackers/cereal/ricemilk and general cupboard stuff

Yogurts and puddings, soy based and dated at least 2 weeks out, on offer if I bought in bulk. Sunday morning ready to cook pastries. Hummus and fancy oatcakes.

YS bread products for the freezer

And some vegan burgers - although had to push to get them in the freezer, so clearly I am not using them as fast as I think!

Target: no shopping at all til next weekend, then just F&V. Should save time as well as money!
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Cherry_Burton
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm a bit late starting this month's challenge. I've decided to increase the target spend to £125 this month from £100 because I have someone stay with me for a week.

I've been to ASDA for shopping, including items I can't usually find at ALDI. I spent £22.50 on things such as red lentils, herbs and spices as well as the mince, milk, bread and detergent.

My aim this month, as well as keeping at or below £125, is to increase the number of NSD. Now I've stopped buying lunches there really is no reason to go to the shops most weekdays. If I'm not in the shops I can't spend money.

Good luck everyone this month

CB
    1/10/2015 Debt Free
    1/1/2018 Mortgage Free
    Now saving for early retirement
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    3rd Shop: total so far: £15.84)

Big Shop Mr T = £ 152.97

Total £174.50

Bloody hell, shocked at what I've spent in less than a week :mad::eek:
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 3 November 2017 at 10:29PM
    Options
    MissRikkiC wrote: »
    Hi everyone, hope youre all having a good week.

Pretty awful week for me this week; without going into much detail at all; there was a very exciting reason that I wasn't drinking for the last few weeks and unfortunately that is no longer the case so I haven't been in a very good place at all. Off work and under a blanket is where ive spent most of my time; however hoping to pick myself up today.

Sorry to hear this, thinking of you at this difficult time
    NewShadow wrote: »
    Not sure if this is too late but - Oats are great at completely disappearing and thickening a mince meal but too many of them can make it a little 'gloopy'.

Lentils have the right 'mouthfeel' when cooked with mince and aren't amazingly obvious - less so if you also grate a carrot or two into the mix.

Personally I use a roughly equal amount of diced onion, grated carrot, lentils and oats - plus the odd handful of TVP and a tin of baked beans. I don't use any water - I use tinned toms or cheap passata for all liquid - chuck in a stock cube and there's never been any complaints about lack of 'meat' ;)

Thank you, I decided to try oats as I've tried lentils before and found they were bit crunchy.
    The oats worked really well as I had quite a lot of stock to thicken. No-one noticed so will try again. Managed to get enough from the mixture to fill a large and a small dish so have 3 adult portions left over. Have frozen the small dish, so it's ready for another day and will suggest Hubby eats the other portion for lunch tomorrow.

Popped to a couple of shops today, Picked up some porridge in A**a, I really wanted to try the toffee apple porridge from Quaker so bought 6 boxes as middle son loves porridge too, also got another box of the pumpkin spice one £7 and then went to Craws*aws butchers and got enough meat for probably 2/3 weeks, 2kg of chicken breast, a large lamb leg joint, over 1.5kg of gammon joint, and 5 packs of other meat : sausages x2 ( they had 50% extra free) bbq ribs, mince and bbq chicken drumsticks. Spent £32.97.
    Going to finish my months meal plan based on this meat shop, hoping it'll last till the end of the month.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    OH spent £6.09 today. He got another joint of beef and two blocks of cheese.
    I spent £5.02 today. For that I got a large punnet of grapes, 2 cucumbers, a lettuce, two aubergines, 750g peppers, 1kg courgettes, celery and mushrooms.

Bulk - £28.45/£30.
    OH - £11.55/£50. £38.45 left.
    Me - £10.69/£30. £19.31 left.

Total budget
    £50.69/£110.
    £59.31 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing