PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MissRikkiC wrote: »
    Hi everyone, hope youre all having a good week.

Pretty awful week for me this week; without going into much detail at all; there was a very exciting reason that I wasn't drinking for the last few weeks and unfortunately that is no longer the case so I haven't been in a very good place at all. Off work and under a blanket is where ive spent most of my time; however hoping to pick myself up today.

Spends a few times however again I have taken these from my own purse this week as I felt it wasn't fair to potentially make our savings suffer as a result.

New house searches and valuation have been ordered though now so I think we are almost there!!

Currently still at £24/100 however not 100% accurate given weve had an extra £13 from my pennies but back to normal today I think.

Take care all x

I'm sorry for your loss, MissRikkiC. :cry:
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    Sorry for your loss MissRikkiC. It's tough- give yourself time & space if you can.
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MissRikkiC (((((Big hugs))))) such sad news, look after yourself, so sorry for your loss, have been there myself x
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    Options
    MissRikkiC very sorry for your loss. Take your time, go at your own pace and look after yourself.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2017 at 12:10PM
    Options
    Jumping in to join you all.

One adult one child

I am setting a budget and a target, the plan is to come in under budget closer to target and the amount 'saved' is going into my sealed pot challenge. I will need to wait until end of the month before I put the money in the pot as some weeks I might see a saving but others need to use that money.

Budget - weekly
    £25 work - this allows for cooked breakfast, cooked dinner and drinks every day (subsidised canteen) I should be able save on this by taking in own drinks and cutting back on full breakfasts to just have toast/porridge.
    £10.50 school dinners - no saving there.
    £35.00 evening meals/toiletries/laundry.- this is a complete guess on the amount. As I eat a main meal at work I really only need a snack at teatime but have to eat something resembling a meal to encourage fussy eater son to eat something.

Total budget £70.00 :eek::eek: target set at £60 (if I can save £10 per week I will be happy)

Will be back later once I have written meal plan.
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 November 2017 at 3:07PM
    Options
    RedFraggle wrote: »
    Newbie to this thread but been working hard over the last year to reduce our household shopping bills.
    Target for November is £400 starting from yesterday as I shop Saturdays so that's 5 shops.
    2 adults, on a limited diet due to allergies (soya ,peanuts, alliums, shellfish), one cat, 4 rats and a hamster! To inlcude all food plus household cleaning stuff, toiletries etc.
    Supermarket shop yesterday was £96.14 but we had toothbrush heads and coffee to buy.

Weekend update....weekly shop just done.
    2nd shop: Spend today £53.20
    Bargain free range chuck forr a fiver in there,I always go to T at the time they reduce all the meat. Large pack of mince too for £3.
    Splurged on a lage bar of fruit and nut in the week £1.50

Total so far £150.84 we're on target :j

We've had nice meals this week:
    Finger fingers, chips and mushy peas
    Homemade pizza
    Spag bol (mince padded with lentils and there's a portion in the freezer
    Steak strips, mushrooms and paprika in a creme fraiche and henderson's sauce with brown rice
    Roast gammon with all the trimmings
    Paneer and fresh tomato curry.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • purpleybat
    Options
    my first weeks shop came in at £39.53, slightly more than I planned but took advantage of having a lift so didn't have to struggle on the bus or limit myself to what would fit in my flowery trolley.

have sat and done a morries online shop today, tho haven't finalised it for delivery cos I can't remember my shift pattern this week. I could order it to be delivered before 8pm but then it's expensive so will wait to see what day I have off and can take advantage of the cheapo 99p slot.
    it's all bulk stuff that will be used over four or so months so i'm trying to decide whether to add it to this months budget (meaning i'll blow it completely) or add a quarter to each of the next 4 months. normally if I buy a bulk item I add it in the month I buy it, but as this is many items and almost £100 in total i'm leaning towards splitting it over a few months. plus also if I split it i'm making the cost accountable rather than writing it off.

am only cooking for me this week so I plan on using up ufos with some fresh veg for all dinners. I was most annoyed tho that the soup I made I added milk to (never do this normally but thought I should use it up) and found after it was off, it tastes revolting and has gone down the drain :( oh well, luckily it was end of the week odds from the fridge that would've gone in the compost bin otherwise.
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    purpleybat wrote: »
    it's all bulk stuff that will be used over four or so months so i'm trying to decide whether to add it to this months budget (meaning i'll blow it completely) or add a quarter to each of the next 4 months. normally if I buy a bulk item I add it in the month I buy it, but as this is many items and almost £100 in total i'm leaning towards splitting it over a few months. plus also if I split it i'm making the cost accountable rather than writing it off

I add all spends to my budget as soon as the money leaves my account - because I know I'll forget otherwise :o

Some people like to have a separate 'bulk budget' - so take maybe a third of their budget each month towards bulk spends and let it roll over/go into debt and have it squared away by the end of the year (like an interest free loan to yourself :cool:)

Other people like to 'buy' bulk items when they take them out of the store cupboard - which means you have to keep them separate from your normal shopping and remember (keep a list or label) how much they cost when you paid for it.

I think it depends on what works for you - the way you shop and the way you store/cook.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • Faete
    Faete Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    First shop of the month today:-
    Morrisons £9.27
    Aldi £18.19
    Asda £22.28
    Total £49.74

I'm pretty pleased with that, I usually see little change from £100 :T

Fae xx
    “Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde :p
    January Grocery Challenge - £189.44/£300.00 :D
    Save
    Save
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    MissRikkiC wrote: »
    Pretty awful week for me this week; without going into much detail at all; there was a very exciting reason that I wasn't drinking for the last few weeks and unfortunately that is no longer the case so I haven't been in a very good place at all. Off work and under a blanket is where ive spent most of my time; however hoping to pick myself up today.
    Condolences and big hugs. I know it's upsetting and hope the 'blanket days' have worked their magic.

First spend of the month today.
    Aldi = £35.30
    F Foods = £24.88

So that's a total of £60.18/£200 and 3 NSDs so far

Hope you all have a great fireworks/bonfire night
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140