Forum Home » Debate House Prices & the Economy

Brexit, the economy and house prices part 5 - Page 570

New Post Advanced Search

Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Brexit, the economy and house prices part 5

11.1K replies 129.6K views

Replies

• ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    71.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    gfplux wrote: »
    as will Britains Government who have spent far too much time in the last 18 months badly focused on Brexit and not getting on with the day job.

The machinery of Government continues to chug along. Being abroad you must to struggle to keep abreast with what is going on. There's plenty. Much extremely positive. As with planting acorns. Things take a long time to mature and evolve.
    “An investor who has all the answers doesn’t even understand all the questions.” - John Templeton
  • gfplux wrote: »
    Perhaps Boris instead of saying, GO WHISTLE, he could have said I don!!!8217;t think so. Even if in the end he was proven wrong.
    If we're going to carry on along these lines you realise it will be quire a long list and with by far the majority of derision being on the part of the EU?

How about Juncker's "Pfft" reply to being asked about Theresa May?
    http://metro.co.uk/2016/10/22/european-commission-president-lets-off-massive-mouth-fart-when-asked-about-theresa-may-6208662/
    An example there of what the European Commission President considers to be a measured and considered response.
    :rotfl:
  • edited 24 February 2018 at 8:04PM
    gfpluxgfplux Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 February 2018 at 8:04PM
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    The machinery of Government continues to chug along. Being abroad you must to struggle to keep abreast with what is going on. There's plenty. Much extremely positive. As with planting acorns. Things take a long time to mature and evolve.

That is good to hear. Hopefully some others agree.

Luxembourg is not the other side of the moon.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • gfpluxgfplux Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    This long read from Sky News titled. Brexit impact on Welsh Lamb could change a landscape and a Nation by Faisal Islam the Sky Political editor

https://news.sky.com/story/long-read-brexit-impact-on-welsh-lamb-could-change-a-landscape-and-a-nation-11261036

I will not paste any paragraphs from it just in case I would be accused of cherry picking.

After reading please tell me that
    Welsh Sheep Farmers
    The Welsh Language
    The Welsh Steel Industry.

Should not be added to the list of areas and industries that may be affected in a NEGATIVE way after or during Brexit in The next update.

Thank you.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    gfplux wrote: »
    This long read from Sky News titled. Brexit impact on Welsh Lamb could change a landscape and a Nation by Faisal Islam the Sky Political editor

https://news.sky.com/story/long-read-brexit-impact-on-welsh-lamb-could-change-a-landscape-and-a-nation-11261036

I will not paste any paragraphs from it just in case I would be accused of cherry picking.

After reading please tell me that
    Welsh Sheep Farmers
    The Welsh Language
    The Welsh Steel Industry.

Should not be added to the list of areas and industries that may be affected in a NEGATIVE way after or during Brexit in The next update.

Thank you.
    Absolutely anything in the UK may be affected badly - or for the better. It’ll depend on the quality of our political leaders to get the best out of it.
  • gfplux wrote: »
    That is good to hear. Hopefully some others agree.
    Lots of others. ;)

Have a look at this and note that on a global happiness index the UK is in #34.
    Where is Luxembourg in this index do I hear you ask?
    #139 out of 140 countries, 2nd from the bottom!
    http://happyplanetindex.org/countries/united-kingdom
    http://happyplanetindex.org/countries/luxembourg
    The Happy Planet Index measures what matters: sustainable wellbeing for all. It tells us how well nations are doing at achieving long, happy, sustainable lives.
    Can you really measure happiness reliably?

To measure wellbeing, we use data from a globally renowned survey that asks respondents questions about how they feel their lives are going overall. The question we use, known as the Cantril Self-Anchoring Scale or the Ladder of Life, has been used in surveys since the 1960s, and its validity has been demonstrated in a range of different contexts around the world.

It looks like the UK population is generally pretty happy with its lot, gfplux.
    Although as thrugelmir says, you might not realize this with your being abroad.
    Don't pay so much heed to the extremists (on both sides) in these forums.

France #44; Germany #49; Italy #60 if you're interested. For balance Spain was #15 - but neighbour Portugal #79. ;)

The ONS seems to agree that in the first year since Brexit was announced the UK officially became happier too in their June 2017 wellbeing statistical bulletin.
    :T
  • buglawton wrote: »
    Absolutely anything in the UK may be affected badly - or for the better. It’ll depend on the quality of our political leaders to get the best out of it.
    And also upon the determination of those directly involved.
    Crying wolf beforehand or preaching imminent disaster is of little practical use.
    When life give you lemons, make lemonade.
  • HerzlosHerzlos Forumite
    11.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have they really?
    Maybe you could show us an official offering from the EU?
    "Official", not heresay from one Eurocrat which is otherwise unverified.

http://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/rngs/BRITAIN-EU/01006039065/brexit.jpg
    11.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ukcarper wrote: »
    I expect or should I say hope that we will get something similar to that hopefully including services but I dont see why it has to be an exact replica.

1. They've told us it'll be a replica
    2. We don't have time to negotiate a bespoke deal.
    11.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thrugelmir wrote: »

You must admit that a lot of time has been consumed at all levels with Brexit, both houses, civil servants, admin, that could have been spent on something else?