Options

Comments

• RedSky1974
    RedSky1974 Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 October 2017 at 10:17AM
    Options
    I'd like to take advantage of this - £250 is just too good to miss

However I'm a bit stuck, which account to switch over. Any advice would be appreciated....

- First Direct Account - I have my mortgage with these, and use the regular saver. I'd like to keep this account

- Santander - This is my wife and I's joint account. Lots of direct debits. We also have a credit card which we use for pretty much all spending, and it gets paid fully every month. This would probably be a pain to switch because it's pretty much our main bank account with everything incoming and outgoing

- Nationwide - My wife's account, nothing goes on here, wife's pay goes in. We have a Flexclusive Regular Saver ( 5% £500 for 12 months, currently at about 3.5k so just over half way till it matures).

I'm leaning towards my wife's current account at Nationwide because that'll be the most straightforward. However I'm assuming they will stop her regular saver. I think it will be £161 interest at the end, so the £250 for switching is still preferable....

Decisions decisions decisions......

edit: I'm actually leaning towards switching the Santander now, so I can keep my wife's regular saver and not lose that interest. I'm only really earning just under £5 cashback on my Santander current account a month so I think it's time to say goodbye to them. I'll keep the credit card for now and slowly move that somewhere else
  • anna42hmr
    anna42hmr Posts: 2,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd like to take advantage of this - £250 is just too good to miss

However I'm a bit stuck, which account to switch over. Any advice would be appreciated....

- First Direct Account - I have my mortgage with these, and use the regular saver. I'd like to keep this account

- Santander - This is my wife and I's joint account. Lots of direct debits. We also have a credit card which we use for pretty much all spending, and it gets paid fully every month. This would probably be a pain to switch because it's pretty much our main bank account with everything incoming and outgoing

- Nationwide - My wife's account, nothing goes on here, wife's pay goes in. We have a Flexclusive Regular Saver ( 5% £500 for 12 months, currently at about 3.5k so just over half way till it matures).

I'm leaning towards my wife's current account at Nationwide because that'll be the most straightforward. However I'm assuming they will stop her regular saver. I think it will be £161 interest at the end, so the £250 for switching is still preferable....

Decisions decisions decisions......

edit: I'm actually leaning towards switching the Santander now, so I can keep my wife's regular saver and not lose that interest. I'm only really earning just under £5 cashback on my Santander current account a month so I think it's time to say goodbye to them. I'll keep the credit card for now and slowly move that somewhere else

another option is to see if you can get a second current account with the existing providers (and therefore switch that "dummy" account rather than one you would loose the benefits associated with it). As an existing customer you should hopefully find that the account opening process is quicker and should get an account number and sort code quickly and then set the switch date for a period of time to enable a couple of direct debits to be added (for example I've opened secondary accounts with other banks and had the account number and sort code the same day).
    if you do this option though you will need to wait till you receive the debit card to start the switch process because they will ask for the 16 digit card number for the account you are moving from.
    MFW#105 - 2015 Overpaid £8095 / 2016 Overpaid £6983.24 / 2017 Overpaid £3583.12 / 2018 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2019 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2020 Overpaid £2583.12/ 2021 overpaid £1506.82 /2022 Overpaid £2975.28 / 2023 Overpaid £2677.30 / 2024 Target: £1800, £572.15 overpaid as at March so YTD = £355.88 Total OP since mortgage started in 2015 = £34,178.29
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 October 2017 at 10:39AM
    Options
    I applied on Monday and was accepted and account immediately online.
    Today I have received the debit card in the post. I have never had a card arrive so quickly after account opening. Looks like they have their act together.

Edit: They have also sent me three identical letters requesting a signature so not quite perfect!
  • Over62
    Over62 Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I rang the number on the "Technical difficulties" page and was told they should be back up in about 2 hours. They could not help on the phone as I had not got to the username and password stage, although they could see my application as far as I'd got with it.
  • littly_kitty
    Options
    The Yorkshire Bank keeps on displaying the message:
    Sorry there has been a technical problem

Anyone else have this problem?

Edit: I hadn't refreshed this page. There are lots of people reporting it!
  • RedSky1974
    Options
    anna42hmr wrote: »
    another option is to see if you can get a second current account with the existing providers (and therefore switch that "dummy" account rather than one you would loose the benefits associated with it). As an existing customer you should hopefully find that the account opening process is quicker and should get an account number and sort code quickly and then set the switch date for a period of time to enable a couple of direct debits to be added (for example I've opened secondary accounts with other banks and had the account number and sort code the same day).
    if you do this option though you will need to wait till you receive the debit card to start the switch process because they will ask for the 16 digit card number for the account you are moving from.

Thanks - have just opened an account and I've had the sort code and account number, and it's already on my online banking

Will just have to wait for the debit card now then. Hope the offer doesn't get pulled in the meantime :rotfl:
  • originator
    Options
    My first £1000 went over on the switch date with my old bank,I'm guessing that meets the criteria.The second £1000 I will send next month.Am I pondering unnecessarily,pretty sure the advisor in Brum said it was ok
    mortgage free 3/10/12:)
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The Yorkshire Bank keeps on displaying the message:
    Sorry there has been a technical problem

Anyone else have this problem?

Edit: I hadn't refreshed this page. There are lots of people reporting it!
    Their site is being hammered at the moment. I wouldn't even bother trying again until this evening if not tomorrow.
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    @originator - does this imply the balance switched over contributes towards the first £1000 you have to pay in within 31 days? I would not trust that reading of the T&C whatever they say...!

"You'll need to make sure £1,000 is deposited in the new account within 31 days of the completion of the switch, and another £1,000 must follow in the next 31 days. "
  • Gollygumdrops
    Options
    Is there anyone to answer a simple question about this Yorkshire Bank £250 deal.

Is it possible to open their current account for the incentive but use their Payment Transfer Service to set direct debits up, without having to close my old current account (lots of savings etc which are part thru!)

Would that be acceptable for the £250 or do you have to do a total switch... i.e close old account and get them to switch dd's?

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport