🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Great British Invest off or Passive V Active Updates

Options

Comments

• Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TBC15 said:
    Prism said:
    Prism Global - £159418

Due to the fact that my platform has scapped its model porfolio feature seemingly without notice I have lost access to the 'copy' that I was using. I no longer contribute to my SIPP so from now on I will use a ratio of the live porfolio. However even then the platform isn't great at showing historical info such as valuation on a certain date. Its today or nothing. So occaisionally I might miss one. It also means that platform charges of about 0.15% will be included in my results.

On Smithson and some other trusts that I hold. The discount are now getting a bit silly. I have two trusts at around the -50% mark and two mainstream ones at -5% and -15%. Pretty volatile stuff and maybe too volatile for too long in retirement. There is little point with being satisfied with Smithsons index leading NAV return if the share price return is so poor. I have time to wait but at some point you would expect to see returns regardless of discount.

Have you thought of using Trustnet for your model portfolio? Saves a lot of faffing about.

I did that at the start but could never find an easy way of selling a portion of a holding to replace with something else. Once you removed or reduced a holding you lost all previous historical returns. I had been using the Morningstar feature within AJ Bell over the last few years which kept a history of previous buys and sells but it seems that it has no gone for good.

I don't make many changes so I suppose I could use Trustnet and just create a new watchlist if I do change something.
  • Prism
    Options
    It was interesting this month to see the second crossover between Smithson and Fundsmith. At the start of Smithson it bought into Dominos Pizza (UK) after the main fund had to sell out due to size issues. It was given as one of the examples of why they created Smithson. This month the main fund bought into Fortinet - Smithson has held it for a few years but its market cap is pushing the boundaries of small and mid cap at currently $45bn
  • Bostonerimus1
    Bostonerimus1 Posts: 611 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 November 2023 at 2:23PM
    Options
    Prism said:
    It was interesting this month to see the second crossover between Smithson and Fundsmith. At the start of Smithson it bought into Dominos Pizza (UK) after the main fund had to sell out due to size issues. It was given as one of the examples of why they created Smithson. This month the main fund bought into Fortinet - Smithson has held it for a few years but its market cap is pushing the boundaries of small and mid cap at currently $45bn
    I'm sure I own a few Dominos shares as part of my US equity index, but now you have me thinking about "ethical investing". I hate to think I own a bit of a company that produces a product that I despise. Oh well I'll hold my nose as I do for all the guns and cigarette stocks I also own - index investors are always morally compromised ;-)
  • Prism
    Options
    Prism said:
    I'm sure I own a few Dominos shares as part of my US equity index, but now you have me thinking about "ethical investing". I hate to think I own a bit of a company that produces a product that I despise. Oh well I'll hold my nose as I do for all the guns and cigarette stocks I also own - index investors are always morally compromised ;-)
    Yeah, its a complex set issues if you try and dig too deep, something that both index and active funds struggle to define.

BP uses the money it makes from oil to fund green energy projects. In its own interests for when we move away from oil alltogether.

Philip Morris uses the money it makes from cigarettes to fund heat not burn tobacco products. Good for us and good for them. Arguably doing as much to reduce deaths as focusing on treatment.
  • Bostonerimus1
    Options
    Prism said:
    Prism said:
    Yeah, its a complex set issues if you try and dig too deep, something that both index and active funds struggle to define.

BP uses the money it makes from oil to fund green energy projects. In its own interests for when we move away from oil alltogether.

Philip Morris uses the money it makes from cigarettes to fund heat not burn tobacco products. Good for us and good for them. Arguably doing as much to reduce deaths as focusing on treatment.
    But what excuse does Domino's have ;-)
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

BLB53                            £128,530       29%

TBC15                            £167,311      67%

Digger UK                       £167,871      68%

Finellah VLS80               £142,376      42%

Vanguard FTSE All Cap  £164,620     65%

Well, not a bad month for TBC15 up about 8% with surprise, surprise Smithson and Blue whale leading the pack with returns around the 10% mark. Let’s hope this is Smithson’s recent purchases starting to pay off.

• Prism
    Options
    Prism Global

£167,038
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

BLB53                            £133,788       34%

TBC15                            £176,689      77%

Digger UK                       £169,487      69%

Finellah VLS80               £148,257      48%

Vanguard FTSE All Cap  £171,891     72%

Nice to see a good year for TBC15  with a return of  26 %

Leaders of the pack were AXA Framlington Global Tech with a return of 36% and not far behind Blue Whale with a good result of 33%.

Fundsmith had a not to shabby 14%

Smithson on the face of it didn’t have a brilliant year with 7% however in the last 2 months it was up 20%. Lets hope this is the return of Smithsons Mojo.

Wishing you all a prosperous 2024.

• Prism
    Options
    Prism Global - £174,220

Well, my gradual shift to UK equities (now 45%) hasn't worked out yet, although my best performer of 2023 was a UK small cap trust (SEC) at +20%.

Happy with Smithson. NAV was up 13.5% in 2023 but an increased discount kept the share price in check at 7%. If that narrows then there should be some more decent gains in 2024.

Worst performer was Chrysalis yet again at -9%, though there are some signs of a recovery. Its such a small allocation now that it barely has an impact so keeping it just to see what happens.

My only index fund, Vanguard EM ETF, I had hopes for but failed to do much over the year with just a 1% rise including dividends. India couldn't manage to offset the weak performance of China, which is now one of the cheapest equity markets in the world.

My three UK funds were roughly in line with the All Share. Royal London Sustainable Leaders, Finsbury and Free Spirit. Hoping for more from these three.

Happy New Year to all.
  • Bostonerimus1
    Options
    US stocks really went on a rally in December.

Bostonerimus$   160132
    Bostonerimus£   167697
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family