Atrixa's Saving Diaries

Options

Comments

• atrixa
    atrixa Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Payday yesterday so added £595 in total to my savings pots. I have £1,616.26 in my 'redo the bathroom' fund, but I'm not sure I'll end up bothering now. Me and bf were discussing moving in together in a few years time after the fixed rate on my mortgage ends. We'd be buying a larger house together rather than keeping mine. He's renting at the moment in pretty much an identical property to mine. We've done a bit of a window shop and are quite impressed with the properties on offer for the money we'd want to spend around the town. Of course, we'd need to take into account prices and interest rates in a few years time, but if the house prices go up, mine will too so shouldn't be too much of an issue. My bathroom is perfectly functional so I wouldn't want to renovate unless it would add significant value to the property. I'll get an estate agents view closer to the time.

We've discussed a bit about how we would organise finances if we lived together and I think we can come to a sensible arrangement which would free up quite a bit of cash for us both. The unfortunate thing of course is having to sell the property if we ever broke up, but as long as we both have liquid cash for deposits we'd be ok. Plenty of time to think about all of this, my fixed rate doesn't end until 2025, which I'm very grateful for given the interest rate hikes. The plan is still to fill my emergency funds then pay down the mortgage.

Treated myself to a lovely new pair of summer pjs from sainsbos the other day, very light and comfortable :)

My wounds are healing really well and I'm moving around much more easily than I was. Back at work on Monday so I've already filled the freezer with homemade soup. Planning on making some pasta sauce tomorrow and a curry for the freezer at the weekend. The less I have to do when I'm back working the better.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    When the time comes have a solicitor draw up a declaration of trust as that details who put what in and how everything gets split if things don't work out.

I'd suggest BF moves in with you for a couple of years. Living together 24/7 is a bit different to sleep overs. If everything goes ok, then buy together.

Keep taking things slowly, don't rush to be back and working how you normally would, take each day as it comes and ease into your routine.

Freezer food sounds great, one less thing to do!
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's exciting that you are thinking of buying a larger place. I hope the recovery from the appendix removal is going well it is v serious. Rest as much as you can. 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • atrixa
    Options
    Thanks :) Feeling much better now and I've gotten back to a decent level of activity.

£645 put into my savings this month, determined to keep up the momentum with my saving.

I've been driving my myself a bit, and the mpg on the car is really good, so I'm spending less on diesel than I thought.

Plants update: I've got a fantastic looking cherry bomb chilli plant I'm just waiting to ripen. It's a sturdy looking thing so I might try to over-winter it then move it into a bigger pot outside. I've got a good ring of fire chilli plant that might get the same treatment. Those ones are ripening and they've got a decent kick, so I might try to grow a few more next year. My horn chilli seeds seem to have been mixed with some sort of hybrid seed, so I'm getting rubbish pepper things with no heat on some of the 'horn chilli' plants. I do have two plants that are genuine horn chillies so I'll see if I can keep them going. The ghost peppers I have found impossible to fruit - they flower then the buds fall off. I've got a few good looking Bolivian Rainbow plants that I'm keeping for decorative purposes. Might try to keep the biggest one for next year.

I'm getting loads of good harvests off my french dwarf beans, I'll definitely grow those again- a very low maintenance plant. The garlic is looking a bit feeble, but they aren't quite ready yet. The leaves have all fallen over, just waiting for them to go brown.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Glad to hear you are feeling better. Well done on savings. Chillies sound good as long as they are not too hot 🥵😁
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    So pleased to hear you're recovering well.
    Very impressive savings!
    Plants and garden is coming along, you've got the growing bug 😀
  • atrixa
    Options
    Plant update: most of the chillies have been eaten now. I think my favourite was the ring of fire. I've got some huge horn chillies still ripening and some cherry bombs I've not harvested yet. I pulled all the garlic. Most were very small. I'll try an autumn variety next. The french dwarf beans have stopped being as productive. I'll succession plant loads next year, they were so easy.

Savings update: I've decided that in the current cost of living crisis, buying my own car would just be an act of stupidity. I just wouldn't use it enough to justify it, especially when I need to cut back on spending on trips. So, I've rejigged my pots and they now look like this:

Sinking Fund for Holidays    £       465.65
    House Emergency Fund £4000     £   4,000.00
    Bathroom Sinking Fund £5000    £   1,786.26
    Emergency Fund £7000    £   3,240.00

I can't see us going on holiday next year, so I think the holiday fund will masquerade as a 'lets keep the little fiesta going' fund to help out bf's mum if there's any repairs needed after the MOT. House fund is done, yey! The Bathroom fund gets £85 every month and everything else will be going into my emergency fund. It looks like we're heading for a very uncomfortable recession so my main priority is filling that emergency fund then overpaying my mortgage. I don't want a huge capital on it when my fix ends in 2025.

September will be a very spendy month, with a trip to London for my first marathon, a boiler and gas fire service, a dental check up and a few replacement bits to spend money on. I'm planning to keep the London trip quite frugal and I can take into account bf's budget as well to keep costs down. Eating out now costs so much I certainly couldn't justify it every evening. We're staying near a few supermarkets so we might just have a hotel picnic most evenings :)
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Growing has been good for you. Each year things will change and you'll adapt the way things are done.

Savings are impressive. It's still worth keeping a car pot, even if you use it to do a lump-sum off the mortgage or a couple of long weekends away.

Good luck with the marathon, let us know how you get on!
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on planning for the recession. Smart move. 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • atrixa
    Options
    Thanks both :) We've ended up binning off the trip. We'd be affected by the rail strikes and it's become apparent that doing a marathon is really not a good idea right now. I've been having some pain issues that may be due to the surgery (will see my GP tomorrow- lucky me getting an appointment!) so want to get that sorted first. Refunds should be coming on to my account soon for the hotel and trains, so I can put a bit of money back into the bank and me and bf can treat ourselves to meals out and maybe some day-trips at a fraction of what we would have spent.

I'm cat-sitting this week for some friends so have a little friend to keep me company (or distract me!) while I WFH. Very affectionate boy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback