Atrixa's Saving Diaries

Options

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    @atrixa Well done on the promotion and payrise. Painting the radiators makes a huge difference doesnt it. I found it instantly lifted the room and was shocked at how yellowed mine were and I hadn’t realised. 
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 October 2021 at 1:03AM
    Options
    Hello again, so good to hear from you. It's clear you have been v busy we are v glad to see you and that you are doing so well at work, as well as saving and doing positive things to the house. It's brilliant that you have sorted your flooring too. That sounds very MSE!!!! 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Glad you're back, I've missed your house updates and thought you'd become so focused on getting it all finished 😃

Huge congratulations on the promo and rise! That's really lovely to hear.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • atrixa
    atrixa Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    @atrixa Well done on the promotion and payrise. Painting the radiators makes a huge difference doesnt it. I found it instantly lifted the room and was shocked at how yellowed mine were and I hadn’t realised. 
    Thanks everyone!

That's exactly it, Skinty- I can't believe how much of a difference it made to the feel of the room. Time and money well spent.

I've had the week off, so just trying to take a bit of time to relax and wind down. Popping out to Sainsbo's later and I'll be taking advantage of the new Nctar prices and offers. They have such a good world food aisle in there.
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Long overdue break where you can sit back and admire how much everything has changed.

Enjoy your shopping trip!
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happy shopping and have a good weekend.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • atrixa
    Options
    Payday yesterday! Moved money into my savings accounts straight away, and my payrise has been processed without any fuss :)

I finished a little frugal project recently. I inherited a chest of drawers and two bedside cabinets when I bought this house, but I've never been keen on the hardware (cheap looking black hoops that make a noise when you open them). I had a look on fleabay and bought a set of 12 reclaimed stainless steel knobs for £7 and a wire stripper for £8 to cut the screws down to the right size. looks much better now and loads cheaper than buying 12 brand new furniture knobs.
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Congratulations and well done for paying yourself first.
    The furniture sounds great, upcycling and tweaking is a fantastic way of breathing new life into things.
  • atrixa
    Options
    I keep meaning to get caught up on everyone's threads, then life gets in the way!

I'm doing well, I've decided to do a cheap grocery challenge for February since prices are going crazy at the moment. I've also picked up some bad grocery spending habits that I want to nip in the bud. I'll be batch cooking much more and avoiding impulse spending on junk food.

The money saved will go to fun things that I'd much rather spend money on, or into my savings.
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Let us know how you get on with the challenge. Offsetting the money helps you spend less as you want it for more fun things.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback