Atrixa's Saving Diaries

edited 25 January at 6:20PM in How much have you saved?
416 replies 26.8K views

Replies

• savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Forumite
    OMG about checkatrade. I will keep that in mind - I have learned something from both of you! Well done on goal weight. That is fantastic. 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    just to say I got a roofer from checkatrade and he was fantastic. Polite, turned up when he said he would, did a great job & charged what he said he would. I think its luck of the draw sometimes. 
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE

House sale/ purchase costs
    First house purchase offer accepted 20/5/22 fell through 8/7/22 due to sudden serious illness of seller
    Insurance 2 x £90 Searches £300. Survey cancelled/refund received
    Offer accepted on another property 2/8/2022
    £90 solicitor insurance
    £300 searches

Aiming to retire early age 60 🥳
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    482 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Honestly, trying to find a roofer was the most frustrating thing. I tried word of mouth first, and everyone I spoke to had either been burned before, or people they had used and liked before ended up with really bad reviews more recently. Hopefully I won't need to do anything with the main roof for a good few years. 
    Took it relatively easy today with the exercise. Just a 30 min walk to the shop and back then some physio/resistance exercises in my living room. I've decided to take the week off running and see how I am at the weekend.
    The first blind of my order arrived today so I've put that up. It's for the bedroom, so will be nice to have a blackout curtain in there from now on. 
    Found some yellow sticker raspberries so I had those for dessert with one of those dairy-free chocolate dessert pots. Tea was not-chicken popper things with plenty of veg.
    I started a charity lottery thing last month as I do like to give some money away every month and I won a fiver! I also redeemed some cashback so that should hit my bank account soon!
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Doesn't help trades are backed up and have work coming out their ears. Try and build up a list them you'll have several to pick from, or avoid, for different tasks if required in the future.
    Hopefully you'll rest better with the new blind.
    Congratulations on your win and your food sounds good, veggie and vegan food has come along way over the last few years.
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Good trades people are v hard to find when you do they are like gold dust. I hope you get one soon. It's great that the blind has come, well done on lottery win and yum food. 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    482 Posts
    Forumite
    Knee is still horrendous, so have started physio for that again and I've stopped running for a while. There's some good resources for knee pain exercises on Youtube. If it doesn't ease up in a few weeks I'll have to see a therapist, I think. I've had a similar problem before and managed to sort it at home, so hopefully I can do that again.
    I got my free water saving pack from my water company last week. I fitted a toilet expanding bag thing and a shower flow regular without too much fuss. The tap aerators didn't fit my taps unfortunately. There was a tablet to check for a leaky loo (mine is fine, luckily) and also a shower timer. Will be interesting to see how much water these save in the next few weeks.
    15.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Hope you can fix it without treatment, but don't leave it too long before seeking help.
    Your water saver thingies sound good. If you've got the older cistern, usually they have a little screw thing to change the amount it fills up. Don't know if the modern ones are the same.
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    482 Posts
    Forumite
    Ooh, it has been a while since I've had time to sit and go through the forum! I'm very behind on everyone's diaries, I hope you're all well. 
    General updates: Work has been busy, will hopefully be a spot opening for a promotion in the near future, fingers crossed! I ended up going to see a physio in the end for my knee. She was fab and I'm now able to run for 10 minute intervals with no pain, working up to 10k level by the 18th where I have my first race in ages. Me and the bf have booked a stay in London in August for my birthday. The hotel was so cheap it was rude not to, and we really need a change of scenery. I'll be renewing our Two Together railcard to save on trains.

Money stuff: I took advantage of the bank bribes and switched, so I should have £125 winging its way into my account at some point. I'll probably save some then get a few treats with the rest. I'm quite into cocktails at the moment so I might get some liqueurs. I also switched my saving accounts to one with a reasonable (for 2021, anyway) rate. 

House update: I'm working on the porch now. It's prepped and ready to be painted on Thursday/Friday when I have some time off work. I had to knock out blown plaster and redo it with some ready mix plaster repair. No damp luckily so I could DIY it with the help of Youtube. It's getting painted white, should look nice and clean when I'm finished. At the moment it's a grotty magnolia. I'm going to put up the shelves that I took down from the spare room so I can move some stuff off the floor.
    I resealed the bath again. I realised that I had used a sealant that wasn't up to par so I've redone it with proper bathroom silicone. I'm having my first bath tonight after it's redone so hopefully it'll hold. If not I think I'll get a professional in to see if the floor or bath needs reinforcing with something to reduce movement. I really can't wait to rip out that entire bathroom, but I need to save and be patient. Next job is to replace the foul vinyl in the kitchen and porch, which I'll probably do next month. 

15.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Fingers crossed for the promo!
    10 mins running is great, big improvement from before and hopefully you're on the road to recovery.
    Was the seal where the tub meets the wall? If so, did you fill the bath first, as that should totally sort it out. Double check the feet have been adjusted correctly too.
    Reinforced joists are quite easy to do, it's a case of putting sections the other way between the long ones.

It's good to see you back and how much you've done 😃
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    482 Posts
    Forumite
    Yeah, seal is between bath and tiles. I filled the bath up both times to fill it. Hopefully it's just a case of rubbish sealant and I don't have to mess about under the bath. I tried the sealant in the kitchen as well and it just never seemed to cure no matter how long i left it. Could have been a bad batch, I suppose.