Atrixa's Saving Diaries

edited 25 January at 6:20PM in How much have you saved?
416 replies 26.8K views

Replies

• atrixaatrixa Forumite
    481 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    BF has had two negative tests, but still has to isolate to the end of the week. We'll go for a walk on Monday after work :)
    I went out for a shower curtain and a picture frame, found neither and came home with some toilet cleaning tablets and some pampas grass. Typical.
    Just the bedroom now to deep clean, living room is looking lovely. I think I'll do that tomorrow and then settle down with a book in the afternoon. I have a bottle of wine tucked away as a treat for the weekend.
    Ended up spending £25.49 on new earphones today, after my old ones gave up. I've decided to go wireless for the first time. BF has the same ones so I at least know these hold up.
    I've had chilli and rice for tea, nice and cheap.
  • Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have a lovely relaxing weekend & enjoy your book and the bottle of wine 🍷 
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE

House sale/ purchase costs
    First house purchase offer accepted 20/5/22 fell through 8/7/22 due to sudden serious illness of seller
    Insurance 2 x £90 Searches £300. Survey cancelled/refund received
    Offer accepted on another property 2/8/2022
    £90 solicitor insurance
    £300 searches

Aiming to retire early age 60 🥳
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    15K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I would say your shopping trip was very productive! Pampas is lovely in the garden and the rustling noise during a breeze is so relaxing.

Enjoy your wine.
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Poor boyfriend i hope he is ok and it is a false alarm. I had a steam mop but didnt take it out of the box i was happy with my old manual one. When you figure out how to clean the grot between the tiles please let me know. Hurrah for hair cut and for bargain picture frame. Stay happy.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    481 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks all! I haven't managed to get on here in a while, been quite busy! I'll try to get caught up on everyone's diaries soon.

Roof work is finally completely finished. I don't think I'll be using that company again as their communication was so poor. The scaffolding is now out of the yard so I have my washing line back up for the next good drying day. Other house updates: I've ordered some new blinds for the living room, kitchen and bedroom. Bedroom didn't have a blind so it's a bit too bright in the mornings for me, and the living room and kitchen are either grotty or damaged. I've decided to just replace the kitchen and porch flooring in a few months time as the existing vinyl is truly beyond saving. I'm going to attempt to cash flow that instead of using savings. Might do a no spend month to help it along. I might try some carpet cleaner on the soot stains (it can't possibly make them worse) upstairs. I'll get some outdoor furniture in the summer so I can enjoy the yard. 

Savings pots are looking like this now:

Sinking Fund for Holidays £       529.51
    Cat Adoption    £       250.00
    Sinking Fund for Days Out    £       138.76
    House Emergency Fund- (£4000)  £       219.32
    Bathroom Sinking Fund (£5000)    £       511.26
    Emergency Fund (£7000)    £   2,283.80

I'll be working on replenishing the House fund over the next year. Still heard nothing back from the shelter- I also tried another one that was considering adoptions virtually but no response there either.

I'm off out for a run, will pop back on later to see what you've all been up to :)
    15K Posts
    Forumite
    Hopefully you won't need a roofer again. It's worth keeping a look for other properties having trades round, keep a note of their details.

Throw a load of baking soda on the spot, carefully brush it around, leave for 45-60 mins then vac it. 

Keep trying different shelters, one will eventually reply.

Shopping sounds good and the early morning light wake ups get a little tiring!

Savings are coming along nicely.
  • Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thank goodness the roof is done. Good reliable tradespeople are hard to find, it’s a shame their communication let them down. 

Savings are looking good. I’ve been  considering buying a carpet & upholstery cleaner. A well known brand has over 200 very bad reviews but over 5000 excellent reviews, it’s so difficult to decide. Maybe I will hire an industrial one 
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE

House sale/ purchase costs
    First house purchase offer accepted 20/5/22 fell through 8/7/22 due to sudden serious illness of seller
    Insurance 2 x £90 Searches £300. Survey cancelled/refund received
    Offer accepted on another property 2/8/2022
    £90 solicitor insurance
    £300 searches

Aiming to retire early age 60 🥳
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Atrixa well done on getting the roof sorted. That is a big job and next time use checkatrade to recommend a good tradesperson. I learned this when i bought my house and was totally ripped off by tradespeople. I love your sinking funds  and Skinty's.  They are beautifully organised. I might pinch that idea eventually rather than bunging everything in my xmas fund and hoping for the best with crossed fingers. 

There will be a glut of cats being offered as soon as lockdown ends my friend told me she works in a vets so dont worry. Your cat/kitten is still waiting for you.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    481 Posts
    Forumite
    This lot were actually on Checkatrade with excellent reviews! Just goes to show there's no foolproof way of doing it!
    I've had a fairly quiet week, just trying to keep the food budget in check. I made a huge vegetable curry last week so that will keep me going for a while. The weather is atrocious this weekend and I've picked up a leg/knee niggle so I'll just do a bit of walking and indoor bodyweight training over the next few days.
    Weight loss update: I was getting frustrated with my old analogue scales as I couldn't see the reading properly so I replaced them with some digital ones. The old ones were actually broken so they were putting me at several pounds less than what I actually weigh! It all makes sense now... I'm now two pounds off my goal weight, so things are still going really well. I just track calories and exercise, nothing special.
    15K Posts
    Forumite
    These type of places are not recommended if you venture into the DIY section on the forum, always word of mouth which is hard if you're new to an area or friends / family don't live within about 10 miles.
    Take it easy, don't overdo it and hopefully you'll have a quick recovery.