Atrixa's Saving Diaries

edited 25 January at 6:20PM in How much have you saved?
412 replies 26.6K views

Replies

• atrixaatrixa Forumite
    470 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A!di actually do a knock off sports drink and it's only £1.15ish for 4- absolute bargain if it's any good. I'll have a look out for it next time i'm in there.
  • ForestBluebellsForestBluebells Forumite
    499 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I heard that our bodies don’t actually need sports drinks for running so I just drink water but I’m afraid I can’t remember the science. But then my idea of an after run reward is cake 😂
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    470 Posts
    Forumite
    I only use them for very long runs (1hr plus), and then sometimes I add in gels. If nothing else, they're a much nicer flavour than just plain (slightly warm by that point) water.

Today was an NSD. Went out for a run at lunchtime, got my 2nd half marathon in 12 days :) Cleaned the floors after work and now I have my feet up, lovely  <3
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    OH uses a water pack rucksack for loner runs, it has pockets for his gels and snacks.

Good luck with the marathon, you'll have to let us know how you get on and how it compares to previous times.
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    470 Posts
    Forumite
    Funny you mentioned the rucksack, I invested in a 10L race vest (very reasonably priced from a small business, too) recently, and it's fantastic. I can fit water, spare layers, gels, keys, phone, emergency stuff in easily so it's going to be perfect for marathon training this summer. I've had a Flipbelt for ages but I found that if you load it up with stuff it tends to ride up or fall down.

Once I have a car, I may even try my hand at an ultra or some trail/fell runs around Yorkshire or Northumberland. My previous HM time was 2:26:41 ish and I'm aiming for 2:10:00- training has been going great so far so I should be able to manage it :)
    499 Posts
    Forumite
    Wow I wanted to do a half marathon but Covid got in the way and I kinda feel my dog prefers shorter distance now 😔 we usually run for 1 hour ish now. I use a hydration vest to carry water for my dog, first aid kit, keys, tissues, bowl, phone. I couldn’t imagine running without it now as it’s so useful. I’ve never tried drinks or gels but I’ve heard they are gross 😂 
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    It is a vest thing he has, he tried the belt type but they were no good. Trail and fell runs are good, but knees seem to take a lot more impact, so ensure you invest in the right trainers for them.

FBB you could do slightly longer runs on your own and shorten the ones with dog, as I know you're worried about their age / them slowing.
    499 Posts
    Forumite
    I never run without my dog. She’s the reason I run! I actually hate running without her. She’s only 6 as it’s my young dog I run with so hopefully a few more years yet. She still runs the full hour but doesn’t pull so hard after about 45 mins so I have to put in more effort 
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    470 Posts
    Forumite
    Wow I wanted to do a half marathon but Covid got in the way and I kinda feel my dog prefers shorter distance now 😔 we usually run for 1 hour ish now. I use a hydration vest to carry water for my dog, first aid kit, keys, tissues, bowl, phone. I couldn’t imagine running without it now as it’s so useful. I’ve never tried drinks or gels but I’ve heard they are gross 😂 
    Lucozade sport are about the only drinks I can stomach so far. I tried one from a brand that makes sports nutrition and it tasted like sweat.  :/

I've only tried two gel brands- T0rq and S!S. The S!S ones are foul, nearly threw up after I had that, but the T0rq ones just taste like sweets so I look forward to those on my long runs now and they work great. 

I do some trail running already so have suitable shoes, but most of my runs in the winter are on the road so have road shoes that are probably on their way out. I tend to buy previous season models from cheaper sites and they work out much better value than going to the big names. I don't think i've ever spent more than £60 on running shoes.
    499 Posts
    Forumite
    I religiously buy Salomon speedcross as I find too low a drop kills my Achilles. I’m resenting spending over £100 on them though as annoyingly they are just starting to split after the warranty 😂 

I only trail run though as i only ever do canicross. I find human running boring. 

i might have to try those gels but not sure a 10k warrants sustenance and I have terrible ibs so would be worried to try them on a run 😂🙈 I sometimes just go to the cafe for breakfast afterwards with my friends 😋