Atrixa's Saving Diaries

edited 25 January at 6:20PM in How much have you saved?
416 replies 26.8K views

Replies

• MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    We mix a budget and normal tin of toms, helps keep costs down.

You're doing well with the shopping budget.
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    484 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I only ever buy the budget! The quality of them isn't too bad nowadays, especially if you run some tomato puree through it as well.
    Spent £8.04 in Poundland and Mr M on cleaning products and yet more food I've run out of, like non-dairy spread and frozen peas. Hoping to stay out of the shops for a few days.

Running groceries total £111.92. 15 days left until payday, so I'm about halfway through the month now. 

Made my meatball and butterbean stew tonight and I'll do the arrabiata tomorrow. Bf has confirmed he's cooking all weekend so I'm well catered for :)

Finally got my online mortgage account sorted so I can make overpayments eventually. Looks like only overpayments that are £500 and over will reduce the overall term, and anything less would just reduce the monthly payments. In the future, I can easily set aside money each month and when it tips over the £500, make the overpayment. I have no plans to do this until I've filled my emergency funds, though.

15.1K Posts
    Forumite
    The term would naturally reduce if you kept the payments at the normal amount. Just chip away at the mortgage when you have spare cash, don't bother saving up £500, unless interest rates rapidly increase on savings accounts.

Not sure who you bank with but V have added a rewards thing and currently have 10% cash back with M. My sibling always gets that offer with NWst.
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    484 Posts
    Forumite
    Looks like [email protected] (my mortgage lender) restrict it at least online for whatever reason so only anything over £500 reduces the term and there's no option to keep payments the same if you're paying under that. Either way it would reduce the interest, though.

Got a call this morning. My company have brought my dept's salaries up to market rate and I've just gotten a hefty payrise :o 

I mean, it's nice not to be wildly underpaid anymore and I never thought I'd see the day they would actually do anything about it.

I'll do some calculations when it all goes through the system, but I'll be raising my pension contributions by quite a chunk- I'll never miss that money. I also have a goal to fill my emergency funds by Dec 2023 at the latest, although all being well it should be sooner. It all should be processed by the end of this month. 

I should be able to buy a car a few months earlier than planned too and be able to cover any cost of living increases. What a day! I'm very lucky :)

Today is an NSD. Might have a glass of something later to celebrate!
  • Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Great news about the payrise 🍾 Lovely that you can buy the car earlier and great that you can top up your pension and emergency fund 😁
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE

House sale/ purchase costs
    EPC £55
    First house purchase offer accepted 20/5/22 fell through 8/7/22 due to sudden serious illness of seller Insurance 2 x £90 Searches £300. Survey cancelled/refund received
    Offer accepted on another property 2/8/2022
    £90 solicitor insurance
    £300 searches

Aiming to retire early age 60 🥳
  • ForestBluebellsForestBluebells Forumite
    501 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Ah how exciting! I’m waiting for a good moment to ask for a pay rise with work 😬
  • riotladyriotlady Forumite
    442 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Congratulations on the pay rise!! Sounds like it’s about time!
    15.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Congratulations! 
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    484 Posts
    Forumite
    Spent £2.22 in [email protected] yesterday on some bread, tonic water and cheap tissues. Prices aren't too bad in there.

I did my 2nd Half Marathon today and shaved 6 mins off my PB, coming in at 2 hrs 20 mins 23 seconds. I think one of my toenails may be falling off  :/ I did trim them beforehand, but one appears to have rebelled. Just spent money on transport and a coffee to keep me warm (does anyone else find that [email protected] Nero put way too much syrup in?) and then I got a free goody bag with some snacks in, so more or less broke even :) Trains were off, so ended up on a very swanky rail replacement bus on the way home. It had ovens and a bar! Sadly not in use.

Total grocery spend for Feb now £114.14. 
  • ForestBluebellsForestBluebells Forumite
    501 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Wow well done that’s amazing! Hope the toe nail doesn’t rebel too much!