Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Today I went to work, dropped the halloween decorations at the charity shop, washed some towels and dried them in the garden, did a small top up shop of bread and milk, and made a phone call for DS1.

I also finished my assignment today as I was closer to finishing it than I realised :T. My tutor still hasn't marked my previous one which is annoying, despite me emailing her :mad:. Anyway I'll see her on Friday so hopefully I'll find out what's going on. I've done four assignments now and have three to go, so apart from one more site visit, I feel like I'm fairly close to finishing my course, although the official end date is October.

I'm volunteering tomorrow instead of Thursday as DS2 is going abroad on Thursday and I want to see him before he goes. I've been so worried about DS2 that I forgot to worry about DS3 until I was cooking dinner :o.

Anyway I've researched the places DS2 is going to and he should be okay as long as he's cautious. At least he won't be flashing gold Rolexes around and he's learnt Taekwondo and mixed martial arts, so hopefully he won't look like too easy a target for muggers. He speaks some Spanish too after learning it in Madrid. So I'm hopefully worrying unnecessarily :o.

I hope everyone is having a good Tuesday :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    I also finished my assignment today as I was closer to finishing it than I realised :T. My tutor still hasn't marked my previous one which is annoying, despite me emailing her :mad:. Anyway I'll see her on Friday so hopefully I'll find out what's going on..

Perhaps she's up to her ears de-cluttering !!!

Happy Wednesday !
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning HHD :) Well done on finishing the assignment, you'll be qualified in no time which hopefully, will lead on to a nice job for you. :)

I'm not sure any parent ever stops worrying about their children but knowing DS can physically look after himself must help. DD randomly said she was going back packing this summer and when I asked who with she replied, nobody, just me. :eek::eek: Thankfully, she's got a job interview this week so I'm hoping she gets it so she has to stay put :rotfl:

Have a lovely day. xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 22 May 2019 at 11:31AM
    Options
    teafor2 wrote: »
    DD randomly said she was going back packing this summer and when I asked who with she replied, nobody, just me. :eek::eek: Thankfully, she's got a job interview this week so I'm hoping she gets it so she has to stay put :rotfl:

I can understand that you're feeling anxious about your DD's possible plans. I went backpacking in the 70s with another girl and we went all over Europe without mishap, often to some quite 'uncivilised' locations. We hitch-hiked a lot and I've hitched several times on my own usually in UK. We never came to any harm or were ever intimidated or scared in any way. Sadly, I wouldn't want to risk it nowadays (if I was the age to do it of course). As a female I definitely wouldn't do it alone unless I planned to join up with a group of others along the way. I didn't intend to alarm you about your DS, HH, as I don't thing men travelling alone have the same worries.

Looking forward to a nice 'payday' tomorrow as I'm co-manning a Polling Station for the European elections. All the elections we've had recently have built up my savings pot very nicely:j. Really long days though and pretty boring as turnout has been low but I don't mind being bored once in a while if I'm getting paid handsomely for it:rotfl:. Not sure what to expect tomorrow, either a long day with barely a voter or we'll be rushed off our feet with all the protest voters who don't normally bother to turn out.

I can recommend everyone registers with their local council whenever an election is in the offing. Lots of different roles and the pay is worth having.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,701 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Morning HHD :) Well done on finishing the assignment, you'll be qualified in no time which hopefully, will lead on to a nice job for you. :)

I'm not sure any parent ever stops worrying about their children but knowing DS can physically look after himself must help. DD randomly said she was going back packing this summer and when I asked who with she replied, nobody, just me. :eek::eek: Thankfully, she's got a job interview this week so I'm hoping she gets it so she has to stay put :rotfl:

Have a lovely day. xx
    Love it:rotfl::rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can only hope it's just another of her short lived hare-brained ideas Noella and Beanie. If not, is anybody up for a bit of covert hitch-hiking :rotfl:
  • beanielou
    Options
    Noella. I think you will be quit. I predict about 33%. Will be interesting to see. I used to be a presiding officer for many years but can’t do the early start nowadays. Sadly.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• beanielou
    Options
    I can only hope it's just another of her short lived hare-brained ideas Noella and Beanie. If not, is anybody up for a bit of covert hitch-hiking :rotfl:
    :rotfl::rotfl:

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Noella. I think you will be quit. I predict about 33%. Will be interesting to see. I used to be a presiding officer for many years but can’t do the early start nowadays. Sadly.

I've never been a Presiding Officer, beanie. Thought it was too high-powered and important for me to even apply for that one:o. Well done on taking on that role:T. I've always manned polling stations, usually small rural ones. I occasionally helped at vote counts in the past but I'm a lark not a night owl and I didn't get on too well with the really late nights:(
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    When HH was talking about banking the coins from her savings jars I think I mentioned that I used to save £2 coins back in the pre-debt days when I actually had spare money. Now I'm debt free again I was spurred into action by HH's example and dug out my old £2 jar from the shed. Weirdly, when I was out shopping yesterday (using cash for a change rather than my contactless debit card) I came home with four £2 coins in my purse:eek:. Has made a nice start to my savings jar. If I can manage it I'll not open it until the end of the year when the contents should be really usefull:j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback