Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,662 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm glad people agree about my niece.

Yes you pour boiling water from a kettle on the roots of the weeds and they go brown and shrivel up. Some bigger weeds might need two attempts. I wouldn't do it on weeds in the border for fear of killing plants I want to keep, but it's perfect for weeds growing in cracks in the patio etc.

Thanks so much for this :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Thanks so much for this :j :j

You're very welcome :)
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I slept much better last night. One of our late payers promised to process our payment today and if they do we can afford to buy our weekly food shop tomorrow.

DH has a meeting this morning. Then we need to buy some bits of food because we have my stepdad, aunt and uncle coming for dinner tonight.

I finally managed to wash and soak the shower curtain in a bucket of bleach overnight (after everyone in the house decided to have an evening shower!) It should be mould free now, so I'll clean the bath this morning and hang it up again. I also want to clean the sink, clean the toilet, vacuum the living room and hall, and have a general tidy up before they come. I should probably clean the furry moron's toilet area too, as he gets smelly after a few days :(. The house shoukd look better after that.

I'm glad we're going to get paid soon because we need to buy DS3 some things for uni. I said we'd get him some more socks and underwear so he doesn't have to go to the laundry so often. We also need to get him some dinner plates, side plates and bowls, plus a few supermarket mugs and some tea towels. I thought we could give him a couple of our towels and then buy us some new ones when we can afford them.

So much to think about. The sky is a horrible leaden grey colour today, but we've had three sunny days so I guess it can't last for ever.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    If he's anything like my son, I'd definitely give him currently in use towels and keep the new ones. At least the loss isn't so great when he abandons them or when they otherwise evaporate!
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • I'm glad people agree about my niece.

Yes you pour boiling water from a kettle on the roots of the weeds and they go brown and shrivel up. Some bigger weeds might need two attempts. I wouldn't do it on weeds in the border for fear of killing plants I want to keep, but it's perfect for weeds growing in cracks in the patio etc.

Love the boiling water tip:T, can't understand why we never heard of it before:o. We don't use any chemicals in our garden, maybe that's why it's open house for all the insects and slugs in the county:eek:. Our food crops are usually half eaten before we get the chance to enjoy them but overall it's worth it to us. I woke up this morning planning to boil the kettle and have a blitz on the weeds which are rampant this summer but it's teeming with rain so will have to try again another day:(.

As for the situation with your niece, I fully understand why you are upset by it. Every birthday/anniversary or other occasion I used to go to endless trouble and expense choosing really appropriate and special cards for my brother and SIL. I never heard from them whether they received them or not whereas I used to email them to thank them for their lovely cards the very day I received anything from them. Not that theirs were lovely really, just looked like something from a job lot from a cheapie shop but it's the thought that counted after all.
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    We also need to get him some dinner plates, side plates and bowls, plus a few supermarket mugs and some tea towels. I thought we could give him a couple of our towels and then buy us some new ones when we can afford them.

My brother went to university (before it became 'uni' !) in 1966. My parents bought him some melamine mugs and plates, and, guess, what, I'm still using them !!! Ok, they don't come out for visitors but they're still crack-free.

One plate is missing because my brother's best friend decided to test the theory that they were unbreakable by dropping one on a stone floor ! He was absolutely mortified, especially as it was so out of character.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    If he's anything like my son, I'd definitely give him currently in use towels and keep the new ones. At least the loss isn't so great when he abandons them or when they otherwise evaporate!

Very true!
    Love the boiling water tip:T, can't understand why we never heard of it before:o. We don't use any chemicals in our garden, maybe that's why it's open house for all the insects and slugs in the county:eek:. Our food crops are usually half eaten before we get the chance to enjoy them but overall it's worth it to us. I woke up this morning planning to boil the kettle and have a blitz on the weeds which are rampant this summer but it's teeming with rain so will have to try again another day:(.

As for the situation with your niece, I fully understand why you are upset by it. Every birthday/anniversary or other occasion I used to go to endless trouble and expense choosing really appropriate and special cards for my brother and SIL. I never heard from them whether they received them or not whereas I used to email them to thank them for their lovely cards the very day I received anything from them. Not that theirs were lovely really, just looked like something from a job lot from a cheapie shop but it's the thought that counted after all.

I was dubious about the hot water tip when DH mentioned it but it definitely works. We had rain this morning too. I guess some people are just more thoughtful than others!
    My brother went to university (before it became 'uni' !) in 1966. My parents bought him some melamine mugs and plates, and, guess, what, I'm still using them !!! Ok, they don't come out for visitors but they're still crack-free.

One plate is missing because my brother's best friend decided to test the theory that they were unbreakable by dropping one on a stone floor ! He was absolutely mortified, especially as it was so out of character.

Melamine is definitely breakable but you have to put more effort into it. I started putting melamine plates in the dishwasher and after a while the coating started to flake off.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,662 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Oh I must stop putting my lovely Emma Bridgewater melamine plate in the dishwasher then.
    Thanks.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Yes Beanie you should hand wash melamine to be safe I think. Unless your Emma Bridgewater plate says dishwasher safe? Mine was cheap picnic ware, but your is probably better quality.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I've knocked a few things off the list and I'm having a rest now.

Get rid of cobwebs with feather duster DONE
    Clean toilet, floor and skirtings DONE
    Clean bath and sink DONE
    Rinse and hang up shower curtain DONE
    Wash bath mats DONE
    Vacuum living room and hall
    Tidy living room
    DH buy food for meal
    Empty kitchen bins

DH's meeting was cancelled after he got ready and arrived, sigh, so time wasted there, but at least he got home sooner. He was going to go straight back out to buy the food for tonight, but has been sucked into his emails, there's a bottomless pit.

The sky is looking less grey which is good, gloomy skies are not good for helping me stay cheerful.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure