Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• Wow, you have been busy, no wonder you're having a rest now.

Poor DH, that's so annoying.

Take care xx
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    My updated list.

Get rid of cobwebs with feather duster DONE
    Clean toilet, floor and skirtings DONE
    Clean bath and sink DONE
    Rinse and hang up shower curtain DONE
    Wash bath mats DONE
    Vacuum living room and hall
    Tidy living room
    DH buy food for meal DONE
    Empty kitchen bins DONE
    Clean cooker DONE

Since my mum died we've had a big pile of post building up, which DH has looked at but not filed away. This is normally my job but I haven't been able to face doing it. Anyway today I forced myself to get through about a third of it and throw away the junk mail. I haven't filed anything away but the pile is a bit smaller now. It made me feel bad doing it, but I also feel bad that it hasn't been done.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Since my mum died we've had a big pile of post building up, which DH has looked at but not filed away. This is normally my job but I haven't been able to face doing it. Anyway today I forced myself to get through about a third of it and throw away the junk mail. I haven't filed anything away but the pile is a bit smaller now. It made me feel bad doing it, but I also feel bad that it hasn't been done.

That is a job I hate doing, I tend to let it pile up in the kitchen and DH gets ruthless one day sorts/bins/shreds.
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    My updated list.

Clean bath and sink DONE
    Wash bath mats DONE
    Vacuum living room and hall
    Tidy living room
    Empty kitchen bins DONE
    Clean cooker DONE

Since my mum died we've had a big pile of post building up, which DH has looked at but not filed away. This is normally my job but I haven't been able to face doing it. Anyway today I forced myself to get through about a third of it and throw away the junk mail. I haven't filed anything away but the pile is a bit smaller now. It made me feel bad doing it, but I also feel bad that it hasn't been done.

......just WOW !
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    The list is all done now.

Clean bath and sink DONE
    Wash bath mats DONE
    Vacuum living room and hall DONE
    Tidy living room DONE
    Empty kitchen bins DONE
    Clean cooker DONE
    Go through some of post mountain DONE

I just need to put the dishwasher on and shower now. It's lucky DH is cooking becsuse I need a rest now!
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm glad people agree about my niece.

Yes you pour boiling water from a kettle on the roots of the weeds and they go brown and shrivel up. Some bigger weeds might need two attempts. I wouldn't do it on weeds in the border for fear of killing plants I want to keep, but it's perfect for weeds growing in cracks in the patio etc.

Brilliant tip, thank you! I'm going to try it on the patio. I can never manage to get the roots up when I pull them up and don't want to use weedkiller because of the pets.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done on the list, you've earned that rest!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    jwil wrote: »
    Brilliant tip, thank you! I'm going to try it on the patio. I can never manage to get the roots up when I pull them up and don't want to use weedkiller because of the pets.

It really works. Weeds do grow again (they must self seed) but it's a lot easier then pulling them out and I don't think they grow as quickly.
    jwil wrote: »
    Well done on the list, you've earned that rest!

Thanks. The house will probably look a complete tip again tomorrow. It's not me who makes the mess!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,653 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Well done on that awesome list :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Have a lovely meal with your family:beer:. You've certainly earned it. Your DH sounds like an absolute treasure. My OH hasn't a clue in the kitchen:eek:. When my Mum was alive I used to go to visit her and stay for a week quite regularly so I could take her out to places she couldn't get to on the bus and help her with big jobs like decorating or gardening. It was a long way away, several hours driving. OH never came with me, let's just say they didn't get on:eek:

I used to buy all sorts of food to put in the fridge to keep him going whilst I was away, things that just needed the minimum of cooking/heating up. There were always pre-cooked portions of meals in the freezer too, I've always been keen on batch-cooking especially when I was working full-time.

Needless to say he never touched any of it, I bet he only ever opened the fridge to get the milk out for his cornflakes and cups of tea:rotfl:. He used to grumble that whenever I went away it cost him a fortune in meals out (plus petrol for the round trip of 15 miles to the nearest restaurant or pub that did meals). His problem I'm afraid, I certainly wasn't going to reimburse him for the money he'd spent dining out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback