Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    Options
    I really struggled to find someone who could sign the boys ones as it had to be someone who met the criteria but who had also met the boys. That narrowed it down to very few options indeed. I am hoping that I don't need a signature for their imminent renewals or we really will have a problem.

I agree on the surveys, I only really do the secret ones now but they are few and far between. At least the PA ones are generally slightly more interesting when I do bother.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I spend very little time online, my only internet access is via a laptop but broadband speed in this rural backwater is dire:mad:. I have too much else to do that prevents me being online for more than a couple of hours spread out over a full day and evening.

I do surveys when I can, namely Pinecone, PA and YouGov. I closed my accounts with any others I tried once I'd reached a cashout level. I used to do PopulusLive that paid out after £50 but it took so long to get to payout as I was invariably screened out after starting surveys that I signed off from that one once I'd banked the £50 cheque.

I stick with YouGov because I like their surveys, especially political ones, and now have around 4700 points. Will probably be next year before I reach the magic £50 the rate I get any surveys from them:(. Because I'm like HairyHand (but more so:o) and don't ever go on holiday, rarely buy anything plus don't have much technology or satellite TV etc, and am a pensioner I'm in a very uninteresting demographic group for most companies:(. I'm online so little and most of the PA ones I'm eligible for are full before I see them. Pinecone is always reliable (plus I've had interesting products to test as a result) but they are so few and far between.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    You would think in this technically advanced world they would have come up with a different way with passport photo identification. It is a pain to get people to sign them.

Have a lovely walk HH . Today I am hoping to get through childminding with the least possible fuss and hardly any voice. Roll on 5pm.

Getting someone to sign passports does seem very last century doesn't it?
    I really struggled to find someone who could sign the boys ones as it had to be someone who met the criteria but who had also met the boys. That narrowed it down to very few options indeed. I am hoping that I don't need a signature for their imminent renewals or we really will have a problem.

I agree on the surveys, I only really do the secret ones now but they are few and far between. At least the PA ones are generally slightly more interesting when I do bother.

As long as the boys don't need new photos you probably won't need a signee Redo, but as my photo was about 15 years old I thought I looked different (older) :o
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Making extra money through surveys is very time-consuming. I've been doing them 11 yrs now: best year 2006 with £3145, worst year 2017 with £624 ! Most years in between.
    I'm also signed up to the local university Memory & Ageing studies in which I act as a control participant. Got £50 this week for an MRI study.
    Toluna is pretty good, & Global Testmarket, plus Pinecone if you can get on it. I find YouGov slow to get anywhere.

Pinecone weren't taking anyone new on last time I tried, but I should try again, and Toluna. £50 is very good for the MRI study Elizabeth.
    I spend very little time online, my only internet access is via a laptop but broadband speed in this rural backwater is dire:mad:. I have too much else to do that prevents me being online for more than a couple of hours spread out over a full day and evening.

I do surveys when I can, namely Pinecone, PA and YouGov. I closed my accounts with any others I tried once I'd reached a cashout level. I used to do PopulusLive that paid out after £50 but it took so long to get to payout as I was invariably screened out after starting surveys that I signed off from that one once I'd banked the £50 cheque.

I stick with YouGov because I like their surveys, especially political ones, and now have around 4700 points. Will probably be next year before I reach the magic £50 the rate I get any surveys from them:(. Because I'm like HairyHand (but more so:o) and don't ever go on holiday, rarely buy anything plus don't have much technology or satellite TV etc, and am a pensioner I'm in a very uninteresting demographic group for most companies:(. I'm online so little and most of the PA ones I'm eligible for are full before I see them. Pinecone is always reliable (plus I've had interesting products to test as a result) but they are so few and far between.

YG are at least reliable and don't screen me out. PA is good but you have to jump on them quickly, which would be difficult for you without fast broadband. There's no magical solution is there?

We must keep plodding as Beanielou says.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was very lucky with all those PA ones yesterday. Have had one today 20p . I honestly don’t ever look during the day to busy at work to check my phone. I am waiting for the payouts now .

My passport photo is abysmal and it needs renewing next year with my driving licence. Maybe I need a savings pot for that as well.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,634 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    No plodding today through all the snow. in this snow.

Unfortunatly Friday is shopping day so am fast running out of milk, bread & butter.
    Nothing I can do as noone is oot & about.

Took a friend an hour and 3/4 to do a 20 minute journey when their school was closed.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I was very lucky with all those PA ones yesterday. Have had one today 20p . I honestly don’t ever look during the day to busy at work to check my phone. I am waiting for the payouts now .

My passport photo is abysmal and it needs renewing next year with my driving licence. Maybe I need a savings pot for that as well.

It's £72 for a new passport Cumbria :eek:
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    No plodding today through all the snow. in this snow.

Unfortunatly Friday is shopping day so am fast running out of milk, bread & butter.
    Nothing I can do as noone is oot & about.

Took a friend an hour and 3/4 to do a 20 minute journey when their school was closed.

Oh no beanie, are you trapped without food? I suppose they're not delivering from shops in the snow. Can you ask a young neighbour to go to the shop for you?
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    Hi, hope you’re ok?
    Are you on your usual jaunt tomorrow? Xx
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Hi Nicnak yes I am 😁. DH and DS1 are going in with me (I've told them I want to leave early) as DH has a voucher and wants a jumper and DS1 has errands to run. But we'll seperate and then meet later for coffee.

I love my Saturdays :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure