Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Oh well done. It has been lovely following you from applying to now being a TA :)

Thank you DIA :). I'm not actually a TA yet, but I'm qualified to do the job which is good.

I could apply for TA jobs now in theory, but I want to get my level 3 and if I'm working full time I will struggle to find time to go to college and do my assignments. Plus they get hundreds of applications for every job so having my level 3 would make me more employable.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Thank you DIA :). I'm not actually a TA yet, but I'm qualified to do the job which is good.

I could apply for TA jobs now in theory, but I want to get my level 3 and if I'm working full time I will struggle to find time to go to college and do my assignments. Plus they get hundreds of applications for every job so having my level 3 would make me more employable.

Ahem. You are qualified to be a TA!! Yes there are other steps to take yet but you are doing brilliantly. ACCEPT IT :T
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Ahem. You are qualified to be a TA!! Yes there are other steps to take yet but you are doing brilliantly. ACCEPT IT :T

Thank you DIA :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • teafor2
    teafor2 Posts: 3,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It will do you some good. You've put the effort in to get the qualification and are now working towards your level 3. You've every right to be proud of yourself. Even if your school doesn't have an opening yet it might do in the future and if not, the fact you've got the qualification means you can apply for jobs when the time comes. xx
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    teafor2 wrote: »
    It will do you some good. You've put the effort in to get the qualification and are now working towards your level 3. You've every right to be proud of yourself. Even if your school doesn't have an opening yet it might do in the future and if not, the fact you've got the qualification means you can apply for jobs when the time comes. xx

Thank you TF2 :).
  • 24ta
    24ta Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Congratulations :)
  • elizabethhull
    Options

Anyway the head teacher came up to me this afternoon and thanked me for "going above and beyond" so I've obviously won some brownie points there :A.

After I staggered home, we had a delivery and it was my level 2 certificate so I'm officially qualified as a TA now :T. I'm really proud of getting that certificate at my advanced age. It shows you're never too old to learn.

:.

Well done on both of these :T:T:T
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    24ta wrote: »
    Congratulations :)
    Well done on both of these :T:T:T

Thank you both :).
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 October 2019 at 6:31PM
    Options
    OMG I'm shattered but I survived the day! I had a sore throat on Wednesday night and yesterday evening the sore throat turned into sneezing, runny nose, headache and aches and pains :(. I turned my light out at 9.30pm last night because I was so tired, but tossed and turned because of my sore throat and cold. So this morning I felt really yuck and not how I wanted to feel for my first day of paid TA cover :(.

The day was really hectic too. One boy was crying and having a tantrum first thing in the morning so his parents had to hand him over to me and literally run away! He would have run after them if I hadn't been holding his hand :eek: He was fine after five minutes though. Then I was on playground duty for morning break and couldn't remember where I'd put my coat and didn't have time to look for it, so I was freezing :eek:. Then I grabbed my travel mug from my bag and was straight back in the classroom. Luckily the teacher asked me to do admin so I was able to drink my hot tea and warm up while I was doing it. Then I had a fifteen minute lunchbreak and had to decide whether to eat my banana or drink my tea as I didn't have time to do both. Then I did my lunchtime job and of course it was heavy rain so I had to look after the children in the classroom before they ate. After they'd eaten it had stopped raining but I had to tell them not to jump in puddles and not to drag their coats through puddles :rotfl:. At least I had my coat on at lunchtime so I was a bit warmer but the children were over excited (because of the wind I think) so I had various incidents to deal with including one child biting another child :eek:. So that caused a big kerfuffle of course and the deputy head got involved! Then after lunch I grabbed my second travel mug of tea and was straight back in the classroom for the afternoon. All this with a horrible cold too. The funny thing is that the boy who was crying in the morning hugged me at hometime and said he'd miss me :rotfl:.

The teacher was lovely anyway and if I can survive a day like that with an awful cold then I can survive anything :rotfl:. I've just filled in my timesheet to claim my overtime anyway :T. Although I won't get paid for the twenty minute morning break even though I was on playground duty :mad:. Apparantly you're meant to take a break afterwards but nobody does.

I'm really enjoying sitting on the sofa under a blanket and not having to move at the moment, bliss :D. I've got half term now and although I have lots to do including my assignment, a vat return and a load of housework, I'm looking forward to having time to look for my coat, having time for a coffee break and having longer than fifteen minutes to eat my lunch and go to the toilet :rotfl:.

I hope everyone is having a good Friday :).
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,627 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Sounds like you coped really well with your hectic day even feeling so under par.
    Happy half term :) Do you get a week or a fortnight?
    Our schools go back next week.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback