Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    teapot2 wrote: »
    Do you have a Coop loyalty card? If you register it online and open an account, they email details every week or so of all their deals and offers including whats in the £5 deal.

Thank you Teapot :). I don't have one but I intend to get one as I thought that was a very good deal.
    beanielou wrote: »
    Boo to DS3's leak :(
    Hope you are on the mend soon.

Thanks Beanie :). I'm feeling much better now.
    That is tough - I do hope it gets fixed soon.
    Hope your cold is chased away soon too.
    Thanks Elizabeth :). I hope they'll send a roofer out today before the ceiling comes down. That happened to DH and I twice in rented flats and it's not nice :eek:.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Today it looks like it's going to be sunny again which will be a very pleasant change from the extremely rainy half term that we've just had. This colder weather is making two of the fingers on my right hand sore due to suspected arthritis. Another doctor trip needed :o.

My plan today is to work on my assignment. I've only done a fifth of it and I need to hand it in on Friday :eek:. So I'd like to get another two fifths done today if possible. Although typing won't help my sore fingers.

Then I want to go to Pilates later on and if I manage that it will be three weeks in a row that I will have managed.

I think due to our money situation we need to practise extreme frugality for a while, so we need to think carefully about every penny that we spend. We have some family coming for a meal tomorrow (we owe them one) which will involve some expense, but I have wine left over from Christmas now I'm not drinking, which will save money on drinks. Hopefully we can source the rest reasonably cheaply and still produce a tasty meal. DH is thinking of curry (he's obsessed with curry at the moment). We haven't got the heating on yet and haven't done a proper food shop this week so that will have saved about £40 I reckon. Pilates will cost me £6 but I think that is worth the money due to the health benefits.

I hope everyone has a successful and enjoyable day :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • cocalls
    cocalls Posts: 881 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    well done on upping your veg intake Hairy dont forget to pop into the drs this week could be thyroid which is making you tired.

You mention pinto arent veg but they'll still part of your 5 a day https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/beans-and-pulses-nutrition/

so well done!
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 October 2019 at 12:46PM
    Options
    cocalls wrote: »
    well done on upping your veg intake Hairy dont forget to pop into the drs this week could be thyroid which is making you tired.

You mention pinto arent veg but they'll still part of your 5 a day https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/beans-and-pulses-nutrition/

so well done!

Thank you Cocalls :). I'm glad the pinto beans are one of my five a day :beer:.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I've done another section of my assignment, so two down and three to go. I'm finding this assignment a bit dull so I'll be glad when it's finished. I'm going to try and get as much of it done as I possibly can today as I don't want to spend my whole half term on it. I'm just taking a lunch break.

It feels cold today, so I'm going to take a blanket to wrap around me and see if I can type with my fingerless gloves on. At least it's not raining though :).

Oh well time to crack on with my assignment :(.
  • cocalls
    cocalls Posts: 881 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    glad to be of help and well done for cracking on with the assignment.

I'm sorry to hear things are tight with regards to money, i read your diary with interest and you write so eloquently but ive been biting my lip for a while now. What your DS2 contributes to the household i was giving my mum when i lived at home 21 yrs ago and i was expected to help with the housework and running of the house. So getting him to up his contribution would help massivly im sure.

Youve taken on a lot of new things recently with working, volunteering and your course and i appears that you do everything bar the sat night meal at home-i wonder if its time you got more help and support from your adult offspring.

Apologies if you think im speaking out of turn and they could do loads that we don't know about but you seem to be run down as everything to do with the house etc seems to be on you when you're trying to do other things as well. I'll butt out now but i write with concern for you x
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I hope you do the Pilates class. It will definitely be worth the £6 and you usually enjoy catching up with your friend as a bonus.

It does feel cold today. I hope when it gets colder you feel able to put the heating on this year.
    I am on the hunt for warm socks so I can delay the heating being on for as long as possible.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,428 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Very chilly here today.

I also agree that your DS2 could contribute more.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    cocalls wrote: »
    glad to be of help and well done for cracking on with the assignment.

I'm sorry to hear things are tight with regards to money, i read your diary with interest and you write so eloquently but ive been biting my lip for a while now. What your DS2 contributes to the household i was giving my mum when i lived at home 21 yrs ago and i was expected to help with the housework and running of the house. So getting him to up his contribution would help massivly im sure.

Youve taken on a lot of new things recently with working, volunteering and your course and i appears that you do everything bar the sat night meal at home-i wonder if its time you got more help and support from your adult offspring.

Apologies if you think im speaking out of turn and they could do loads that we don't know about but you seem to be run down as everything to do with the house etc seems to be on you when you're trying to do other things as well. I'll butt out now but i write with concern for you x
    Thank you Cocalls :). Don't worry you're not speaking out of turn. It's true that I do the bulk of the housework and cooking. I will try and encourage the grown up children to help more. I expect I am too soft with them :o.
    I hope you do the Pilates class. It will definitely be worth the £6 and you usually enjoy catching up with your friend as a bonus.

It does feel cold today. I hope when it gets colder you feel able to put the heating on this year.
    I am on the hunt for warm socks so I can delay the heating being on for as long as possible.

Thanks DIA :). I did do Pilates. My friend couldn't go but I love seeing the teacher as she's so friendly and positive and I always feel better for going :).

I wore fingerless gloves today to walk to Pilates and I've been wearing them indoors to type my assignment! Warm socks will definitely keep you warmer. Do you have warm blankets to snuggle under on the sofa?

beanielou wrote: »
    Very chilly here today.

I also agree that your DS2 could contribute more.

Thanks Beanie :). We only asked him to contribute about a year ago and he buys his own food mostly so it only needs to cover electricity he uses. We've become on really good terms recently so I'm reluctant to rock the boat :o.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Well I worked hard on my assignment until 4pm and I've done another three sections, so four done altogether and one section to go :T. I've decided to finish it tomorrow morning and then it will be done.

After finishing it I jumped straight in the shower and then walked to Pilates. I'm really glad I went as the teacher always cheers me up and it's a positive atmospher there. I always come home feeling relaxed and cheerful so definitely money well spent :).

I feel like I wasted Saturday feeling ill with my cold :mad: but I enjoyed going out for our autumn walk yesterday and today has been very productive :beer:.

VEGETABLE UPDATE:
    Tonight we're going to have mini sweetcorn, carrots and spit peas again. I need to buy more broccoli as we've run out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure