Credit Card Reclaiming Success Stories

Options

Comments

• bevvie_2
    Options
    bevvie wrote: »
    Claimed £474 (including interest)
    Received £474

The story - claimed £474 including interest, received a cheque for £207 two weeks later, wrote back and told them I wanted the rest or would proceed to court, received the full balance 10 days later.

Capital One
    Claimed £702.54
    Offered £210 if I sign and return their settlement form 3 weeks later

Wrote back and said I would accept the £210 as partial payment of the full claim. A week later received another letter saying the £210 is their final offer and that I should accept it instead of wasting the court's valuable time.

Am going to file a MCOL now

Update on Capital one claim

Filed MCOL, a week later Capital one acknowledged receipt of claim, and two weeks later wrote and advised they were settling my claim, including court costs in full. As my CC account is closed (has been for 3 years!!!!) they are going to now issue a cheque which could take 21 days. They have alse advised the court of this so should hopefully get my cheque soon.

RESULT!! Thank you for giving me the courage to keep on at them to get back what is rightfully mine :D
  • suesieque
    Options
    PROVIDER. BARCLAYCARD
    AMOUNT RECLAIMED. 836.00
    AMOUNT THEY PAID. 757.00

i APPLIED FOR STATEMENTS IN MAY 2007 AND WITHIN 1 MONTH REQUESTED MY UNFAIR CHARGES BE REPAID. GOT NO OFFER UNTIL SEPTEMBER AND THAT WAS FOR A TOTAL OF 191.00 INCLUDING ANY INTEREST. I APPLIED TO THE FINANCIAL OMBUDSMAN AND SENT ALL RELAVENT PAPERS TO THEM IN DECEMBER...JUST HAD A LETTER FROM OMBUDSMAN SAYING BARCLAYCARD DO NOT WANT A FORMAL INVESTIGATION REGARDING MY ACCOUNT AND HAVE OFFERED 757.00 WHICH I WILL ACCEPT.
    THROUGHOUT THIS I HAVE USED THE LETTERS DOWNLOADED FROM THIS SITE.
    BRILLIANT...NOW LOOKING INTO THE POLL TAX....THANKS A MILLION TIMES
  • volfram
    volfram Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Had a JJB credit card with over £150 of charges on it
    1st letter sent 14 Nov 07
    1st letter back 2o Nov 07 looking into it reply within 15 days
    letter recieved 9th Jan 08 without prejudice offer of £36 + £5.15 interest!!
    2nd letter sent 16th Jan 08 declined offer asked for £140
    28th january letter recieved all charges to be paid + interest
    Grand Total of £163.81:j :j :j

If I can do this so can you Templates are all there waiting for you. Do it, and like me you can begin to see light at the end of that tunnel!!
  • BrianLamb
    Options
    MSE_Wendy wrote: »

Provider: Halifax One
    Amount Reclaimed: 2 x £12
    Amount they paid: 2 x £12

I spent nearly to my limit, but never over the limit. For two consecutive months an overlimit fee of £12 was applied because my limit was exceeded, by the application of amounts of interest which I could not know in advance. I contested the penalties by letter, threatening to refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman (reference your advice).

Repayment of the £24 was made after a bit of an argument, but they tried not to 'lose face' by blaming my actual over-spending, which did not happen. I had always paid between the minimum and maximum amount asked for, within the time limit.

The applying of overlimit fees in my case perhaps indicates a need for a refinement in their automated administration. Or were they just being opportunist?

:A
  • lkava5
    lkava5 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Provider: Barclaycard
    Amount Reclaimed: £1038.00

Amount they paid: £1129.00
    The story:
    Sent my first letter asking for statments to BC on the 29/01/08.
    Second letter asking for a refund sent on 25/02/08. I gave them 14 days to respond.
    Credited my account with £390.00 on the 3/03/08 then had a letter from them on 10/03/08 telling me this was a 'Goodwill' payment and they wasn't going to give me anymore
    Sent my Third letter on the 10/03/08 telling them thanks but no thanks I want the full amount.
    Checked my BC account online today and have recived a further credit of £739.00!!

Yay it can be done!!
    This has allowed me to clear my balance with BC and given me a healthy wedge to pay of another debt.

Thanks everyone!!
  • *Chattie*
    *Chattie* Posts: 707 Forumite
    Options
    small success but a welcome one £230 from barclaycard, thank you to martin and all the help received from here.
  • johnsmiffy
    johnsmiffy Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Provider: Bank of Scotland
    Amount Reclaimed: £264.67 inc interest.
    Amount they paid: £264.67
    The story:
    Sent the first letter 6/1/08 - requesting refund.
    Received letter 15/1/08 - Standard acknowledgement.
    Received letter 29/1/08 - offer £87 being difference.
    Called on 29/1/08 - asked if they could look into the offer again - they agreed.
    Sent the second letter 29/1/08 - to back-up telephone conversation.
    Received letter 15/2/08 - Standard acknowledgement.
    Received telephone call on 21/2/08 - Full offer!:j
    Cheque received 7/3/08.

Provider: Creation Financial Services
    Amount Reclaimed: £161.58 inc interest.
    Amount they paid: £161.97
    The story:
    Sent the first letter 25/1/08 - requesting refund.
    Received letter 30/1/08 - Standard acknowledgement.
    Received letter 18/2/08 - offer £31.97 being difference.
    Called on 19/2/08 - error made by creation - missed £8 in calculation! This was verbally added to initial offer. Said I was not happy about the level of the offer, and was 'encouraged' to write in with second letter!;)
    Sent the second letter 21/2/08 - to back-up telephone conversation.
    Received Letter 23/2/08 - Full refund.:j

Provider: Capital One
    Amount Reclaimed: £78.98 inc interest.
    Amount they paid: £24 - so far.
    The story:
    Sent the first letter 25/1/08 - requesting refund.
    Received letter 1/2/08 - offer £24 being difference.
    Sent the second letter 1/2/08 - To ask if they could reconsider the offer.
    Received letter 8/2/08 - Refused to increase refund.
    Refered to FOS 8/2/08

Provider: Barclaycard
    Amount Reclaimed: Visa £224.53, M/card £175.04 inc interest.
    Amount they paid: Visa £56.16, M/card £44.28 - so far.
    The story:
    Sent the first letter 6/3/08 - requesting refund.
    Received letters 17/3/08 - offer Visa £56.16, M/card £44.28.
    Second letter on way!

Provider: NatWest
    Amount Reclaimed: £277.36 inc interest.
    Amount they paid: £0 - so far.
    The story:
    Sent the first letter 6/3/08 - requesting refund.
    No reply received as yet.

ALL USING THE LETTER TEMPLATES ON THIS SITE, AND THE NOTES FROM THE GREAT PEOPLE WHO LEAVE COMMENTS IN THESE FORUMS.

THANKS MSE AND ALL OF YOU OUT THERE.
  • bevvie_2
    Options
    bevvie wrote: »
    Update on Capital one claim

Filed MCOL, a week later Capital one acknowledged receipt of claim, and two weeks later wrote and advised they were settling my claim, including court costs in full. As my CC account is closed (has been for 3 years!!!!) they are going to now issue a cheque which could take 21 days. They have alse advised the court of this so should hopefully get my cheque soon.

RESULT!! Thank you for giving me the courage to keep on at them to get back what is rightfully mine :D

Woohoo! Got my cheque today for the full £760.42 - they sure did take their sweet time and made sure I waited the full 21 working days for my money. I think I'll take my own sweet time in stopping the MCOL action :rotfl::rotfl:

So much for bully tactics Capital One - they don't work! :rolleyes:

The comment from the cashier at the bank made me smile - she said "Boy! You don't often see cheques from "them" - usually it's the other way round" - I likey!!
  • HawkesFord
    HawkesFord Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    In 1999 I had to give up work due to a disability. My credit cards had a field day and put on charges after charges until I managed to pay them all off by selling my house. I didn't realise I could claim anything back until I watched Martin on his TV programme (cheers). So I had a go. I though I would go the whole hog and claim everything back, plus all the interest, thinking I would be happy with settling for the difference between the £12 fee and whatever they had charged. I used the template letters and advise on the site.

Provider: Abbey (run by MBNA)
    Amount Reclaimed: £258.73
    Amount they paid: £184.81
    The story:
    They offered £81 to start with, so I sent the next letter threatening court action so they sent another £103.81.

Provider: MBNA Visa
    Amount Reclaimed: £271.12
    Amount they paid: £210.65
    The story:
    They offered £110 to start with, then after the second letter added another £100.65

Provider: MBNA Mastercard
    Amount Reclaimed: £271.56
    Amount they paid: £246.58
    The story:
    They offered £112 after the first letter and a further £134.58 after the second

So far my GM card is the only one who has not replied, so I'm getting on to them next.

Thanks for all the help and advise, I wouldn't have done it on my own.

Vic
  • Melgirl
    Melgirl Posts: 952 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Have recently requested a list of charges from Vanquis. They returned my cheque saying that they were looking into my complaint and would not be charging for the information. I received a list today with £108 of charges on it, on the letter that came with the list was an offer to repay £108!! I didn't even have to ask!!

Got all my information and templates from this forum so thank you all

:T
    VSP Challenge 2010 No 19 - £416.09 , 2011 No15 - £497.17, 2012 No9 - £146.52. 2013 No5 - £113.92
    SPC4 No1066 - £948.95,
    SPC5 No1066 - £659.49 (2 stone 13lbs)
    SPC6 No1066 - Pot 1 - 3.03b. Pot 2 - 3.05lb Pot 3 - 3.0lb
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family