Worst Bank / Building Society TV advert

Options

Comments

• Preedyboi
    Preedyboi Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    The Santander ads seemed to be on back to back over Easter! Wonder how much Jessica Ennis is getting paid just to stand there inanely smiling?
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And now the Wizard of Oz nonsense from Halifax.

Whoever gets paid for the rights to use these films/characters must be laughing all the way to the bank.

As must the Market Research firms who've advised these banks that the general public take more notice of companies/products if a really lame 'mash up' of them generates more business.
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,172 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to resurrect an old(ish) thread but that smug t-wat on the First Direct advert is really squeezing my pips.
  • veryintrigued
    Options
    Sorry to resurrect an old(ish) thread but that smug t-wat on the First Direct advert is really squeezing my pips.

Love this post.

Thank you
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    edited 4 November 2018 at 10:56AM
    Options

When I saw this just pop up in the threads, I honestly just thought the same! It's just overly cheesy. My all time favourite advert was always the one they did with the Beatboxing Bird. It was humerous but got to the point.

How has it gone from that, to what they're doing now? I don't even think First Direct's customer service is even all that any more.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    When I saw this just pop up in the threads, I honestly just thought the same! It's just overly cheesy. My all time favourite advert was always the one they did with the Beatboxing Bird. It was numerous but got to the point.

How has it gone from that, to what they're doing now? I don't even think First Direct's customer service is even all that any more.

....But it is though isn't it?
    That's why they are number one.
    If I was their PR company I would make the most of it too - like every branch of every bank has the poster showing the league tables!
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    Options
    ....But it is though isn't it?
    That's why they are number one.
    If I was their PR company I would make the most of it too - like every branch of every bank has the poster showing the league tables!

It's definitely better than the service some of the other banks offer. "Press 1. Press 2" etc, does get quite annoying. It's great with FD that you can get straight through to somebody. Well I say straight through, if I'm not stuck on hold!

Four years ago when I joined, they were great. But the matter of a month ago when I wanted to switch my secure key to my new phone, I didn't get any of the text messages, it took me two days of being on hold to customer services for 40 minutes before I could even speak to somebody, and when I finally got through, I was talked down to like it was my fault. Despite my mobile number not changing over the last few years.

Tried to get a mortgage through them back in September too and was talked down to. In the end I just took my business elsewhere.

Like I posted on another thread around a month ago. First Direct were once ahead of their game. These days, apart from the 'ease' of customer service (as they are still easier to get through to than other banks), they're not really much different to any other bank. If anything they're a bit behind these days.
  • veryintrigued
    Options
    The Nationwide ones are still terrible.

'We eat together' - Jesus Wept
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    ...when I finally got through, I was talked down to like it was my fault. Despite my mobile number not changing over the last few years.

Tried to get a mortgage through them back in September too and was talked down to. In the end I just took my business elsewhere.

Same experience here, as I've said before. They seem to think they're amazing and you should be grateful for being allowed to bank with them, rather than them being grateful for your custom.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There is a current trend of marketeers making awful adverts in the effort to create "media noise" about the brand.
    The problem with this is what is the gain? People will talk a out the brand but not in a good way. It'll make the company a laughing stock.

It's slowly going but some branding companies still insist on this.

Cant stand Nationwide or Halifax adverts. They don't show professionality and don't make me want to open an account with them. So what's the point in them? What's their aim?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure