PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    There we go, another £11.89 and a more typical third of the budget blown on day one. Fruit just seems so much more affordable when you have £70 than when you have £2.31 left...

perishable: bananas, potatoes, apples, nectarines, grapes, pepper, onions. an orange, ys sarnie for lunch. No need to ask what sort, the vegans are almost always having a falafel and humms wrap.

long life: rice mylk, cereal, passatta, tomatoes, kidney beans, mango juice, stock cubes, marg

So that should fend off scurvy for the week, I foresee a weekend cooking up a chilli, some kind of pasta bake, and probably chips or potato salad.

Remembered to stop at the clothes bank too :)
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • DaisyWalker
    DaisyWalker Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2017 at 11:13PM
    Options
    Please could you put me down for £400 for September.

I know this is quite a drop from last month but am well stocked and will be away, and fed by others, for six days so am sure it's doable. It'll take me a while to get to my eventual target of £200 I'm sure. Hey ho.
  • wannalot
    wannalot Posts: 182 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all

Thanks for the new thread Zippy and Coxy. Can I be put down for £140 for September please? This is a little low for me, but I could really do with making any savings possible this month! For the first time, I'm also including all, takeaways in this. However, I'm going to eat healthily, so there will be no takeaways!!

I spent £12.50 on my first shop of the month earlier this week, and I'll spend more at the veg stall tomorrow. I'm also going to sstock up on storecupboard staples - mr T has some good offers on tinned soup and passata/tinned toms. After that, I'll need much smaller shops, as I am determined to empty my freezer - I've been trying to do this for months, but it's just getting absurd now, so I'm determined not to add anything to it!

Good luck in September all!!
    2024 goals
    GC: Jan £160 (annual £1920)
    Savings: save £10K (or move house)
    Health: Lose 3 stone
    Mind: read at least 24 books
  • Budgetbabe
    Options
    Hi all,

Please put me down for £250 for the month.

I was MIA last month as life got away from me a little bit:o.
    I'm back on track now though, and ready for the challenge this month.

Hope the sun is shining where you are :)

BBx
    September GC £250 / £58.13
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Starting September, have withdrawn £100 and had £10, so £110 cash for groceries, as my total includes all of my spends, hoping to keep plastic to a minimum, should be doable as only major spend this month is going to be dry dog food, which I bulk buy to escape delivery charge.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Tete_en_l'Air
    Options
    Hello - I joined in August but with one thing and my grandmother I didn't have the time or energy to track my spends let alone try to limit them. Hoping she's back on an even keel now so that I can concentrate on myself a bit. Aiming for £250 again - thanks!!
    Weightloss: 14.5/65lb
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Count me "in" please. My budget is £120 for groceries and our month runs to September 30th.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    I've been working out this morning whether its best to buy 3 x 620ml bottles of beer for £5.25, 12 x 330ml bottles of beer for £12.00 or 6 x 330ml bottles of beer for £6.10. Depending on my calculations, I got different results !!

I do it like this:

For each offer:

Multiply the mls per bottle by how many bottles
    Divide the cost of the offer by how many total mls in the offer (previous answer)
    Multiply this result by 100 to get the price per 100ml.

So 3 x 620ml bottles of beer for £5.25
    Becomes:
    3 x 620 = 1860 (mls total)
    5.25 / 1860 = 0.0028225806451613 (cost in pence per 1 ml)
    0.0028225806451613 x 100 = 0.282258064516129 (cost in pence per 100ml)

Therefore,
    - 3 x 620ml bottles of beer for £5.25 is actually 28.2p per 100 ml
    - 12 x 330ml bottles of beer for £12.00 is actually 30.3p per 100 ml
    - 6 x 330ml bottles of beer for £6.10 is actually 30.8p per 100 ml
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A good start to the month with a spend of £13, enjoying the benefit of lots of veg from the garden. Total so far is £13/£120
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Can I be put down for £60, to cover groceries, toiletries/cleaning stuff etc and takeaways, but not alcohol, thats separate, though hoping to cut that budget a bit. It's £10 less than last month, but I really want to get stuck in2 my stores. Not intending shopping 'till Monday(ish) and hopefully I will do a meal plan of sorts, though not the greatest at doing that. Have a lovely w/e everyone.
    Does anyone have any tips of how to factor this into my budget? Should I deduct it all from September's budget or just lessen my monthly budget slightly for the next six months?
    I now have a bulk buy, which is funded from monies left over from previous grocery challenges, but what I used to do was a buyback system. I would buy the goods and when I used them, I would add the individual price into my budget. I would know what items to add on, as I put a sticky label on them, with the price on. You could do this weekly/monthly for ease.
    £14.50 on a trial pack of veggie sausages
    Be good to know what the sausages taste like - I bought some really nice (vegan friendly) sausages in Farmfoods, really surprised.
    If inflation is 2.5% how come butter has increased by 23% in the last year?:eek:)
    Dairy is becoming out of 'vogue', due to the rubbish it contains, I suspect, which is why lots of people have swapped to plant based milks, so I guess prices increase to cover overheads.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure